Boston Bruins Ceremony To Retire Rick Middleton's #16 On Nov. 29 To Begin At 6:30 P.M.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
cut.jpeg

The Boston Bruins announced today details surrounding the pregame ceremony to retire Rick Middleton's number 16 jersey on Thursday, November 29. Fans attending the Bruins-Islanders game should plan on being in their seats prior to the start of the ceremony at 6:30 p.m.

The ceremony, which will be hosted by NESN analyst Andy Brickley, will feature Bruins President Cam Neely, Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs, and former Bruins head coach Don Cherry, alongside a select group of Boston Bruins legends. Also participating in the ceremony will be Middleton's former youth hockey coach Frank Miller, members of the 2002 U.S. Paralympic sled hockey team, and Middleton's family.

Due to the pregame ceremony, puck drop for the game will be at 8:08 p.m.

Camjams

Jul 6, 2018
6:30pm? Are you sure?

I don’t think I heard Jack mention this at all during the broadcast last night?...
Jack actually did mention it a couple of times.

It does seem like an awfully long ceremony though if the game isn’t slated to begin until 8:08. I wonder if that start time is accurate.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
6:30pm? Are you sure?

I don’t think I heard Jack mention this at all during the broadcast last night?...

My cousin's boyfriend's roommate's barber's next door neighbor heard a rumor that it is at 6:30.

I think Jack started that rumor but I'm not sure.

Reactions: BMC

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Is it me, or is that a phenomenally long ceremony, even for a number retirement?

I agree - this seems phenomenally long. The Sox retired Pedro, Papi, and Boggs over the last 3 years, and I don't think any of the ceremonies nudged the first pitch by more than 15 or 20 minutes. Not sure about Paul Pierce last year - I remember the I.T. kerfuffle, but I don't remember if the ceremony pushed the game back appreciably.

Not much to compare it to in terms of hockey, as we haven't had a retirement in 14 years, but delaying the puck drop by an hour AND having pregame stuff at 6:30 seems...a bit much. I think it's the pregame skate, plus the logistics of literally putting out the red (or black and gold) carpet. They should be able to wrap the ceremony by 7. But maybe that forces them to move pregame skate to 7:15-7:30, AFTER the ceremony. That puts the "starting time" at 7:45, and the puck drop at about 7:53.

Definitely a well-deserved retirement...it'll be nice seeing him back at the Garden.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I agree - this seems phenomenally long. The Sox retired Pedro, Papi, and Boggs over the last 3 years, and I don't think any of the ceremonies nudged the first pitch by more than 15 or 20 minutes. Not sure about Paul Pierce last year - I remember the I.T. kerfuffle, but I don't remember if the ceremony pushed the game back appreciably.

Not much to compare it to in terms of hockey, as we haven't had a retirement in 14 years, but delaying the puck drop by an hour AND having pregame stuff at 6:30 seems...a bit much. I think it's the pregame skate, plus the logistics of literally putting out the red (or black and gold) carpet. They should be able to wrap the ceremony by 7. But maybe that forces them to move pregame skate to 7:15-7:30, AFTER the ceremony. That puts the "starting time" at 7:45, and the puck drop at about 7:53.

Definitely a well-deserved retirement...it'll be nice seeing him back at the Garden.
Well, to be fair, I'm hoping for 3-hour ceremonies for Chara and Bergeron. :sarcasm:

Shoot, do them both on the same day and make it an all day thing. Tell me Boston wouldn't show up for that. :laugh:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Pregame skate will be at 7:35 PM - NESN plans a special Coach's Corner with Grapes, Milbury and O'Reilly to fill the time

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
cut.jpeg

The Boston Bruins announced today details surrounding the pregame ceremony to retire Rick Middleton's number 16 jersey on Thursday, November 29. Fans attending the Bruins-Islanders game should plan on being in their seats prior to the start of the ceremony at 6:30 p.m.

The ceremony, which will be hosted by NESN analyst Andy Brickley, will feature Bruins President Cam Neely, Bruins CEO Charlie Jacobs, and former Bruins head coach Don Cherry, alongside a select group of Boston Bruins legends. Also participating in the ceremony will be Middleton's former youth hockey coach Frank Miller, members of the 2002 U.S. Paralympic sled hockey team, and Middleton's family.

Due to the pregame ceremony, puck drop for the game will be at 8:08 p.m.

Oh shit an 8:08 start???? :wally:

Reactions: sarge88

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

Pierce's was an off day, or post game much like how 33 was done

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not a fan of retiring numbers that easily.

so then Neely, and Taz are all getting removed from the rafters, right?

Middleton was an elite scorer and also a great 2 way player.

He is 3rd all time in franchise history in goals, and 4th all time in points.

Th only 2 players to score more goal in franchise history...Bucyk and Espo.

And Bucyk needed 600 more games to score only 98 more goals than Middleton

The only players ahead of Middleton in points...Bourque, Bucyk and Espo

Camjams

Jul 6, 2018
Congratulations Nifty! For those of us who remember him it’s about time! He was the best player on the ice for most of the games I saw as a kid. He was an unbelievable open ice player and could steal the puck and turn the play up ice like no one I have seen since. I remember being happy whenever the Bruins would be short handed because that meant we could see Nifty at his deadliest.

Can’t wait to see #16 in the rafters

Reactions: sooshii

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Congrats to Middleton.

He was a star, a magician with the puck, one of the few, I seen turn Larry Robinson inside out the other was Sergei Makarov. He and Pederson were awesome together. Ill never forget their playoff series against the sabres they were as dominant as anyone has ever been together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad