Central Hockey League - The Slow Spin Down the Bowl Continues

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Interesting article out of Rapid City in response to the CHL falling apart. As now its to the point the strong teams admit that it is. But the Rush (not surprisingly) guarentee they will come out of the CHL alive. It seems to hint at the obvious jump in leagues to the ECHL, however the article also hints at "two levels higher" AHL jump maybe?

http://www.blackhillsfox.com/sports/headlines/Rush-safe-from-CHL-upheaval-272237681.html

No. Coach is ignorant to the how the structure of the AHL works.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
The fact that Brampton continued with signings today makes me think that this pathetic charade will soldier on....

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Although both Denver and Arizona were making signings and doing business as usual before they folded, heck this weekend is technically Denver's open tryouts.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
The fact that Brampton continued with signings today makes me think that this pathetic charade will soldier on....

Oh, it will. The Stevens Brothers will keep buying up teams so this pathetic joke can keep making us laugh. There's definitely going to be CHL hockey this fall.

After that, I wouldn't be willing to make any bets. If Missouri and Rapid City finally get sick of this garbage and can orchestrate an ECHL/AHL exodus, I don't see the CHL making it beyond that point.

Hard to say what's going to happen next summer, but you can rest assured knowing we'll have the CHL to ridicule through at least next spring.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Oh, it will. The Stevens Brothers will keep buying up teams so this pathetic joke can keep making us laugh. There's definitely going to be CHL hockey this fall.

After that, I wouldn't be willing to make any bets. If Missouri and Rapid City finally get sick of this garbage and can orchestrate an ECHL/AHL exodus, I don't see the CHL making it beyond that point.

Hard to say what's going to happen next summer, but you can rest assured knowing we'll have the CHL to ridicule through at least next spring.

Although both Denver and Arizona were making signings and doing business as usual before they folded, heck this weekend is technically Denver's open tryouts.

In Brampton's case, as much as we want them to say "I guess I might as well go..." (and that would be for the best) when the deadweight of a league finally go away and we anticipate their turn, that's not the modus operandi for any franchise, no matter how dire the situation.

They are gonna try and continue operating, but having them involved would hemmorage (sp?) the league since you have six teams in the heartland of America... and then those guys in a failed OHL town.

Still, the CHL would have to scramble yet again to make yet another schedule for a seven-team league, but I still think they might fold even before this season. We're getting close to Labor Day and we don't have any type of formal announcement about the season.

hkymnky

Feb 17, 2010
He may be referring to this:

https://twitter.com/darrylwolski/status/511643632474914817

If that link doesn't work (I've never linked to a tweet before) its a message from our good friend Mr. Wolski stating that merger talks are taking place Tuesday (ie tomorrow) in St. Louis.

Seems awfully late in the silly season for a merger to take place in time for this coming season...unless they plan on having a CHL division that just plays by itself until the playoffs. Whatever the outcome, the fact that talks are even taking place in September suggests that things with the CHL are dire indeed.

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
There's already a schedule developed with the CHL teams in it. Its been done for over a month.

Al?

RLR

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
He may be referring to this:

https://twitter.com/darrylwolski/status/511643632474914817

If that link doesn't work (I've never linked to a tweet before) its a message from our good friend Mr. Wolski stating that merger talks are taking place Tuesday (ie tomorrow) in St. Louis.

Seems awfully late in the silly season for a merger to take place in time for this coming season...unless they plan on having a CHL division that just plays by itself until the playoffs. Whatever the outcome, the fact that talks are even taking place in September suggests that things with the CHL are dire indeed.

As odd as it would be, this would make a lot of sense if those teams played an independent schedule, but would still be able to qualify for the playoffs.

However, if they are occurring at this time, then the CHL is really on the verge of going under.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
More twitter rumblings...

https://twitter.com/shawngreenPHM/status/511881433133355008

Supposedly there's a "50/50" chance the ECHL and CHL will "merge" today.

Wish I knew what dire straights the current CHL owners are in for this to be happening so suddenly.

This is sounding a lot like the IndyCar-Champ Car "merger" back in '08.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=3253353

They may not even qualify for the ECHL playoffs. The Can-Am League (baseball) played as a division of the American Association this year (planned to be a temporary arrangement for this season only - the league fell below six teams and I believe there's some employment law difficulties at that point) but played a completely separate season from the AA (outside of some interleague play which was already in place before 2014).

http://bulldogottawa.com/can-am-team-folds-league-joins-american-association/

(I can't find anything regarding the decision to play effectively separate seasons, but there were both Can-Am and AA champions this season).

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
My prediction. The CHL plays their season as is, as does the ECHL. The CHL plays as a separate division in the ECHL and has four teams play in the ECHL playoffs as their own division, much like when the WCHL joined the ECHL years ago. After this season, the true merger happens, with a compete realignment for next year. While there is a schedule already created with the CHL teams playing in the ECHL (Wichita makes one trip to Alaska), you've got two different leagues, with different vet and salary rules, trying to merge a month before games are scheduled to be played. It doesn't work, unless the CHL revamps their entire rosters to fit in the ECHL. The CHL teams would be at a big disadvantage.

Al?

RLR

Last edited:

speedrissr

Jun 3, 2014
The Pacific Division and the CHL division play in one conference and the other three ECHL divisions (Midwest, North, and South) play in the east, with the two conferences playing for the ECHL title. The ECHl has inbalanced divisions and playoffs for years, this wouldn't be that big a jump for the ECHL. The big question is if the ECHL PHPA would agree to this.

Al?

RLR

hoodle

Jun 25, 2014
Should this happen as fast as it seems to be happenning..I would put the CHL teams in the western conference, leaving the east as is, playing their league schedule.. Then for the playoffs,take the top 12, giving the 3 division winners and the top 2nd place team a bye in rd 1. Play best of 3 between teams 5-12. The winners match up with the bye teams and play it out. Just a thought.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I would think that "IF" a merger takes place now the best course of action is to have the CHL play its schedule out as a division of the ECHL much like the CAN-AM baseball league did this year with the American Association. I think you could have the top CHL teams play in the Western Conference playoffs at the end of the season or again do what baseball did and just have the two leagues give out their respective trophies this season, and then fully integrate over the summer.

Regardless of what happens now, I can definitely see a merger for 2015-16 over the summer.

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
I could see AA hockey becoming more like AA baseball. AA baseball has three, regional leagues under one umbrella.

I could see this happening with the ECHL/CHL/Western teams. Very little crossover games, until the "AA playoffs" . The sticking point is probably negotiations with the PHPA for a uniform vet/roster/weekly salary cap. In the end, the franchises still need to make money (or at least not lose too much $)

hoodle

Jun 25, 2014
I could see AA hockey becoming more like AA baseball. AA baseball has three, regional leagues under one umbrella.

I could see this happening with the ECHL/CHL/Western teams. Very little crossover games, until the "AA playoffs" . The sticking point is probably negotiations with the PHPA for a uniform vet/roster/weekly salary cap. In the end, the franchises still need to make money (or at least not lose too much $)

I could have seen that 10 years ago when there were 3 AA hockey leagues, but once the WPHL (or the WCHL, whatever it was called then) merged with the ECHL, and now with the Central League falling apart, its only a matter of time that you have 1 AA hockey league, the ECHL...

GareFan18

Jan 10, 2014
Kansas City
I could have seen that 10 years ago when there were 3 AA hockey leagues, but once the WPHL (or the WCHL, whatever it was called then) merged with the ECHL, and now with the Central League falling apart, its only a matter of time that you have 1 AA hockey league, the ECHL...

Right. Broken up regionally.

Reading isn't going to be playing Stockton nor are they going to play the "new" teams in the "Central" Division like Allen or KC. Much like how the Portland Sea Dogs don't play the Tulsa Drillers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad