Centers highlight Phoenix Coyotes crop of CHL prospects

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Teams define themselves by U.S. Thanksgiving, according to conventional wisdom. This rule of thumb could apply to players, as well. By late November, there are no more predictions or expectations. Prospects are what their performance says they are.

The Phoenix Coyotes have several young centers playing throughout the CHL. The development of these players is crucial to the future of the organization. Further up the pipeline, the only valuable prospects are defenseman. GM Don Maloney needs to hit on at least a couple of these young forwards. If none of these players develop into worthy top-six forwards, Maloney will have no choice but to trade or spend big money on the open market for his future scoring punch.… read more

More...

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
Max Domi was one of the best players on the ice last night when the OHL lost 3-2 to the Russians. He stayed out of the box and was awarded a penalty shot in the second period which he failed to convert.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Thanks for the writeup Pat, wish there was a better way to watch these kids play from PHX, but this'll do. Glad Domi has righted the ship. Dauphin's reaction to the hit was weird, but I loved, loved, loved that the Russian kids didn't dogpile in there and start a fight (pay attention, Ontario kids).

Where does Brendan Burke sit in the US goalie hierarchy? Is he going to the World Championships?

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
I wanted to say he is a darkhorse but the more I think about it, the more I feel he should be right in the mix. The U20 doesn't have one blue chip prospect and most of their top keepers pay in the NCAA which is really a step down from CHL competition.

His biggest problem is he's never been apart of the National development program. Politics are a reality with all these National teams. They don't like admitting they missed on a kid even if it happened back when he was 16.

Jon Gillies, Anthony Stolarz, Collin Olson, Evan Cowley and Eamon McAdam are USA's other top goalies. Burke will need some of them to play their way out of contention in the next week in order to be seriously considered. I think they announce the rosters in early December.

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
Team USA just announced their preliminary WJC roster and Brendan Burke's name was not on the list. Henrik Samuelsson, as expected, was on the preliminary roster.

Pat Paeplow

May 16, 2013
12/23. They have a quick training camp Dec 15-18 followed by a couple exhibition games in Finland and Sweden on 12/20 and 12/22. The tournament starts 12/26.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad