Center to Wing Conversion

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I feel like there's a lot of inconsistency in the Spooner narrative...

How can a team that employed Tyler Seguin on the wing feel like Spooner "isn't gritty enough?" Seguin was flat-out scared, and it's not like he didn't produce there. I don't see fear in Spooner's game. I do see a guy who tries to use what he has and out quick people but I don't see someone falling down on purpose or taking himself out of puck races because a hit's coming, the way Seguin does. I know (or at least I believe) that's what ultimately led to them falling out of love with Seguin, but I also think that move was very shortsighted. Kessel showed in that same Spring that you can grow out of that timidity and become a player who will fight for pucks. They took a big risk moving Seguin and the main piece of the Seguin-return isn't exactly the picture of drive and tenacity either.

If they (the Bruins) believe that playing wing requires much more grit than playing center then why stick their most timid players there? (81&19) Especially when those players were natural centers and believed during their entire tenure in Boston that they were centers at their core. Personally, I don't see it (that wingers have to be grittier). Centers have to engage in puck battles below the goal line (and all around the Dzone). Wingers have to battle along the wall to get the puck out of the Dzone, but the rest of the time they're playing a zone. I don't remember the Bergeron line (with Seguin) having trouble defensively (or getting the puck out) with an extremely soft winger.

Then there's the whole "get to the net" stuff... Did Marc Savard get to the net? Does Patrick Kane? Or do they draw people to them and make plays... I can remember Savard turning away from a puck in the corner in his Dzone because he knew a hit was coming, and I'm constantly amazed at how many plays Kane makes running away from contact. The B's loved Savard despite it, but nobody else can show those tendencies?

I'm also surprised at how they seemed to have suddenly switched allegiances. Koko was traded three times in 2 years while Spooner was considered "off the table." Now they love Koko and Spooner's too soft and too limited to be of use. Why does it have to be either/or? We're a cash strapped team, you'd think we'd welcome all the cheap, high-end talent we can get.

OT: Sorry for the rant. I guess I just see Spooner as someone who could really help this team and I don't agree with the reasoning behind not giving him an opportunity, and it pains me to think they might have already decided what he can and can't do when the kid has less than 30 games of NHL experience.

I suppose the question remains re: Koko almost traded twice is did the teams who were in the deal ask for Koko over Spoons or did Chia let them know Spooner isn`t/wasn`t available??

I suspect at that time, Koko was the guy Chia was more comfortable moving but having read alot about Koko and his second half/playoff performance, wondering out loud if Chia has a little bit of a different opinion of his game?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Sweeney alluded to Ryan needs to be able to get closer to the net because that is where most of the goals are scored. He has a very good shot and needs to take it- Sweeney also brought up his 22 game NHL stint and 0 goals, 11 assists. Krejci had a similar statistical start, but notated tough guy David Krejci wil play in the dirty areas. Ryan doesnt have to be Toews or Krejci even, but he must play closer to the net. He is an electric player with the puck, and I like the 'funny fast' description.

Koko has that dog at the park 'relentlessly chasing after a tennis ball' style of game- with the look of satisifaction/this is fun!!! (atleast my dog does:laugh:); Koko goes to the net, the corners, all over the ice. Someone should hit big on him eventually. His playoff performance was an eye opener, but actually the last 50 games he elevated his game and I believe led all rookie scorers over that span- certainly adding in the playoffs he did. Thirty goals all told as a young 20 year old is impressive especially when we are talking a guy who will give it up to make a play and is not just thinking shoot.

I recall these comments from Julien as well

“He just needs to get involved,” Julien said. “You know me well enough now — when guys play at the end of their sticks, it doesn’t sit well with me. He’s capable of getting more involved in areas.

“And, again, I can’t say it enough, we don’t talk about getting involved physically. You go in there and you muck for the puck when you need to get that puck, and you’ve got to show some involvement there.

“He’s been better as of late, from what I hear, in Providence in regards to that. We know he can skate, we know he’s a good playmaker, but if you play at the end of your stick, you can’t play on this team anyways.”

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/04/11/bnotes/ca3d6njRUqoNvng8QYt16L/story.html

Judging from your comments above, appears Koko has little issues doing what CJ values, we shall see

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Spooner and Koko have been centers in Prov., so it's highly unlikely the Bruins will ask either to play wing in Boston. They look at different factors and see if they think a center can function as a winger while learning the NHL ropes.

Seguin they knew could not go back to junior without reinforcing his have-the-puck all-the-time dominance and not develop for the NHL, so they brought him right up and put him on RW.

As for wingers playing off wing, Landon Wilson, Steve Heinze and Mike Knuble were three right shots who played more effectively at LW (stick inside). Heinze could have scored 45 goals in that dreadful 96-97 season had Darius Kasparaitis not caught him in the neutral zone in the Igloo, knocking him out if the lineup.

Knuble had negligible production until Guerin left and Robbie Ftorek put him at LW with Joe Thornton and Glen Murray, creating "the 700 lb. line."

Some guys just don't have either the power stride down the wing on their natural side or a good deke inside. Heinze was horrible, but he was a real threat left of center.

Same for Michael Ryder BTW, and Julien knew exactly how to use him while in Montreal and in Boston.

Even though the traditional European method (wingers' sticks inside rather than out) has proven beneficial to many complementary players, the Bruins only have two right shots, Bergeron and Krejci. Pastrnak and Brian Ferlin will be the only serious winger prospects in camp with right shots. I expect one acquisition, and it most definitely will be a right shot.
outstanding article- and that is right about Steve Heinze....that year he was going great and then then Kasparitus took him out. Interesting that both Heinze and Brickley were having these out-of-body career years and got hurt. Brickley was on this bizarre line with Rosie and Steve Leach and they had this game in Pittsburgh that ended in a 5-5 tie they scored all 5 goals.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
OT: Sorry for the rant. I guess I just see Spooner as someone who could really help this team...

Couldn't agree with you more there. Spooner is exactly what the Bruins need, skill and speed to burn.

It is frustrating. He's a game-changing player for this team, or at least he could be talent wise. I liked Spooner from the day we drafted him right up to his position issues bogged everything down.

I don't think it's ALL Bruins holding him back. There's more to it.

Call it a tragic flaw, I guess.

Some team will give him his center slot, and he will showcase his skills, too bad it won't be here. We could use it.

bigfrank21

Chara spoons it!
Jul 13, 2007
CT
So I heard rumblings about the B's tossing around the idea of moving Campbell to wing... checked here and didn't see anything, so figured it was nothing. Actually found a few articles on it today (that all reference the same report from DJ Bean):
http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/07/13/bruins-considering-moving-gregory-campbell-to-wing-so-ryan-spooner-or-alexander-khokhlachev-can-play/

I think its an interesting concept - I wonder if Spooner / Koko would be given the opportunities to take draws in that situation or if Campbell would take them and rotate back to wing.

The other thought I had about this was - does a shift to wing lessen Campbells value to the Bruins? IMO, he's a pretty perfect example of what you want your 4th line center to be - especially for the way the Bruins like (liked?) to play... Would this be more of a temporary "lets get the kids some reps at their natural positions" type of move, or would this be a season long effort to try and redefine what the Bruins 4th line is meant to accomplish? If it's the latter, I just wonder what that means for Campbell's future with the Bruins.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I liked Yelle a lot as the 4th line center as well.

Smart veteran who can kill penalties and offer some versatility is ideal.

However, such players are a dime a dozen.
I have a feeling the forward situation sort of plays itself out as the season progresses,
Maybe someone emerges that we have low expectations for.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I liked Yelle a lot as the 4th line center as well.

Smart veteran who can kill penalties and offer some versatility is ideal.

However, such players are a dime a dozen.
I have a feeling the forward situation sort of plays itself out as the season progresses,
Maybe someone emerges that we have low expectations for.

Caron???:amazed::sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad