Center Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammyp

Dec 2, 2005
Laguna Niguel, CA
OK guys, I have both Cox and DirecTV and I'm wondering which is better to buy Center Ice on. I remember how some people were complaining about not being able to watch Wednesday's game between Anaheim and Columbus. I also hear that the price will be dropping to half-season price sooner on one than the other. If anyone has ANY info, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

coffeebeens

Oct 18, 2005
price drop

Center Ice dropped to half season price in my area Buffalo to 109.00 not sure when it happened .

Majik1987

I know kung fu...
Nov 27, 2005
Northern Illinois
I dunno if there are any blackouts on either system, but if there is, maybe one blacks out games and one doesn't. For instance, here in the Chicago Comcast market, due to Bill Wirtz archaic edict that home games cannot be shown here, Comcast blacks out Blackhawk home games even on Centre Ice.

No One

Dec 1, 2003
Staples Center
Visit site
Majik1987 said:
I dunno if there are any blackouts on either system, but if there is, maybe one blacks out games and one doesn't. For instance, here in the Chicago Comcast market, due to Bill Wirtz archaic edict that home games cannot be shown here, Comcast blacks out Blackhawk home games even on Centre Ice.

Yep.

Blackouts on Center Ice are at the discretion of each team. I found this out three years (or was it four), when I sent an e-mail to Center Ice ([email protected], i believe) and asked them about the blackout policy for games not being shown in the local market.

What I was told was that each team would have to sign a form allowing Center Ice to broadcast the games in the local market of the team. I know the Kings have allowed such broadcasts before, and continue to do so (as long as someone broadcasts the games, and we've had two in the last week and a half not broadcast at all).

I do not think the policy is different for cable or DTV and Dish.

As far as the price drop, I do not know if DTV/Dish will lower the prices before one another, since I believe it is the NHL Center Ice that determines the price, not the provider.

And to 76over39, which feed do you get the best picture on? That is who I would get CI from.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
To Kings fans: I don't know if the Kings allow the other broadcasts to air or not, but the reason you didnt get the other broadcasts is because the other team didnt have a broadcast of the game either.

One of the odd times where both teams arent airing their games.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
No One said:
Yep.

Blackouts on Center Ice are at the discretion of each team. I found this out three years (or was it four), when I sent an e-mail to Center Ice ([email protected], i believe) and asked them about the blackout policy for games not being shown in the local market.

What I was told was that each team would have to sign a form allowing Center Ice to broadcast the games in the local market of the team. I know the Kings have allowed such broadcasts before, and continue to do so (as long as someone broadcasts the games, and we've had two in the last week and a half not broadcast at all).

I do not think the policy is different for cable or DTV and Dish.

As far as the price drop, I do not know if DTV/Dish will lower the prices before one another, since I believe it is the NHL Center Ice that determines the price, not the provider.

And to 76over39, which feed do you get the best picture on? That is who I would get CI from.

Nope the policy isn't differen't... it is just the same old.. Basically you get to watch any teams game unless it is televised in your black out area (local location). Which then you would have to watch it on your regular cable channels.

Majik1987

I know kung fu...
Nov 27, 2005
Northern Illinois
Squiddy said:
Nope the policy isn't differen't... it is just the same old.. Basically you get to watch any teams game unless it is televised in your black out area (local location). Which then you would have to watch it on your regular cable channels.

That can't be the case. The Blackhawks don't broadcast their home games, thus it isn't televised on local cable. However, it still isn't broadcast on Centre Ice, a pay-for addition to digital cable. They don't even show the opponent's feed for Blackhawk home games. These games have to be offerred in other markets because they show them in the line-up on Centre Ice, and don't have the usual sky blue screen with Centre Ice logo. There must be a separate agreement that keeps these games, even if they are broadcasted from the the opponent's feed, off the air in Chicago. No One's explanation seems more plausible.

FlyerCub

Oct 8, 2003
Visit site
Majik1987 said:
That can't be the case. The Blackhawks don't broadcast their home games, thus it isn't televised on local cable. However, it still isn't broadcast on Centre Ice, a pay-for addition to digital cable. They don't even show the opponent's feed for Blackhawk home games. These games have to be offerred in other markets because they show them in the line-up on Centre Ice, and don't have the usual sky blue screen with Centre Ice logo. There must be a separate agreement that keeps these games, even if they are broadcasted from the the opponent's feed, off the air in Chicago. No One's explanation seems more plausible.

The Blackhawks own the TV rights to their territory, so they control what gets seen in the Chicago market. The Blackhawks don't televise home games hoping to get the fans in the seats at the arena instead of watching on TV. Allowing the opponent's feed to be seen in the home market defeats that purpose.

Majik1987

I know kung fu...
Nov 27, 2005
Northern Illinois
FlyerCub said:
The Blackhawks own the TV rights to their territory, so they control what gets seen in the Chicago market. The Blackhawks don't televise home games hoping to get the fans in the seats at the arena instead of watching on TV. Allowing the opponent's feed to be seen in the home market defeats that purpose.

I know. I was just disagreeing with Squiddy and trying to illustrate how his premise might not be right with an example. I think No One nailed this one with that post.

RTWAP*

Sounds to me like there's not much difference between cable and satellite for most fans. But if you're a Blackhawks fan then you should get Satellite and have it delivered to your grandma's house in Indiana and install it yourself. The satellite company doesn't actually know where you are, right? So they couldn't enforce Chicago-specific channel blocking, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad