Center Ice vs NHL Game Center Live

sighthndlady

Sep 29, 2006
So I just got the renewal notification for GCL and the price has gone up dramatically from last year - going to be about $263 I think. I travel a lot, so I've been getting GCL to be able to watch when I'm away from home. I've also had Center Ice so I can watch the non-broadcast Preds games and other teams. All of the Preds games will have a local feed this year (right?), so if I stick with GCL it will be about 1/2 the price of Center Ice, and I can always hook my laptop into the TV to watch non-Preds games. So is that the best option - skip Center Ice this year and just get GCL?

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I thought the price for GCL was supposed to be coming DOWN this year. They were saying the price is coming down 15%. I'd look at that renewal notice and contact them. Something is odd here.

And yes, every Preds game should be broadcast this year. Which is why I'm not going to pick up Center Ice or GCL this year. If I travel I'll stream an individual game but I'm not going to pay for a full year.

edit: The price you quoted is twice what it's supposed to cost this year. http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...le-team-tv-package-gamecenter-live-center-ice

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I thought the price for GCL was supposed to be coming DOWN this year. They were saying the price is coming down 15%. I'd look at that renewal notice and contact them. Something is odd here.

And yes, every Preds game should be broadcast this year. Which is why I'm not going to pick up Center Ice or GCL this year. If I travel I'll stream an individual game but I'm not going to pay for a full year.

edit: The price you quoted is twice what it's supposed to cost this year. http://www.broadstreethockey.com/20...le-team-tv-package-gamecenter-live-center-ice
Comparatively, the NHL fan is getting screwed compared to the NBA League Pass equivalent. They offer their single-team package for $120, which is more than the NHL's, but their entire package costs $200, so the one-team version is only 60% of the original price....unlike the 83% of the original that the NHL is offering.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site

Notification I've received from Cox in Virginia shows the price went down and is nowhere near what you have. The single team price is even lower on the other.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
GCL is like $120 this year if you get the one-team only package.

However, since:

1) Every local game is blacked out
2) Every single game is going to be on TV
3) I can watch my DVR recordings on my mobile device

I didn't renew this year.

The only thing I really used it for was watching games when I was on the road.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
That sounds like it'd be a good deal for me, out here in the middle of nowhere-near-anywhere.

Of course, Liarpold's squad would probably make me lose Wild home games vs. the Preds, but then I just go flip to Fox Sports North.

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
I've gone with GCL the last several years. Not totally impressed but am going to try wiring my AppleTV to my modem to hopefully cut down on buffering issues I've experienced with the Wifi.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
How long do you have to wait on an invite?

I tried signing up months ago and never got an invite, but then I requested another invite a couple weeks ago and received one immediately. I would recommend to just keep trying until they send you one.

I'm very impressed with hockeystreams so far, just by watching preseason games.

FFWRX

Unregistered User
Feb 12, 2007
Greenbrier, TN
I tried signing up months ago and never got an invite, but then I requested another invite a couple weeks ago and received one immediately. I would recommend to just keep trying until they send you one.

"Attention
HockeyStreams is currently only serving existing members."

I guess I am not getting in this year.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

do you have the contact info to request? I'm having the same issue as everyone here, a friend gave m,e a referral link and still no luck. I'd like to get this done by thursday since charter ****ed up my cable

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'll flag this in case there are any Canadians lurking and it's useful to know -

I wrapped up our individual cell plans with Rogers into one "Share Everything" plan last year for the better pricing and ended up with the bonus add-on freebie of NHL Center Ice. Great service, very few glitches/lags, easy stuff. By the end of the season I found that I was watching games off the second monitor rather than bothering to turn on the TV.

Rogers has the same offer this year, with better pricing, $75/m for unlimited talk, LD, text, etc., 2.5GB data, with NHL Centre Ice and Shoomi (NetFlix competitor) rolled in. I'll probably stick to streaming via the Rogers acct and skip paying Shaw's $199 altogether.

Jeffrey99

Sep 17, 2007
Columbus, IN
Until the NHL fixes their streaming product and allow me to watch home games inside the preds market I will continue to pirate their products.
You do realize every pro sports teams blacks out streamed games for the local teams. It's not a NHL only thing.

ON to the reason I bumped the thread, did anybody here watch the Preds game via GCL last night? Between the 3 games I was watching, each one seemed to have a habit of skipping every 5-10 minutes. It wasn't buffering the video would just kinda fast forward but the audio never changed. If anybody understood that. LOL

Anyway trying to figure out if the problem was me watching via Xbox 360 or GCL. Watched GCL a couple years ago on PS3 with no problems. So hoping whatever it is gets fixed.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
You do realize every pro sports teams blacks out streamed games for the local teams. It's not a NHL only thing.

ON to the reason I bumped the thread, did anybody here watch the Preds game via GCL last night? Between the 3 games I was watching, each one seemed to have a habit of skipping every 5-10 minutes. It wasn't buffering the video would just kinda fast forward but the audio never changed. If anybody understood that. LOL

Anyway trying to figure out if the problem was me watching via Xbox 360 or GCL. Watched GCL a couple years ago on PS3 with no problems. So hoping whatever it is gets fixed.

Which is horrible and why I will not buy the products EVER until they mandate laws that stop it. It does nothing but hurt them and the consumer.

You may ask how does it hurt them? It encourages pirating and stuns the growth of the game by preventing another avenue of watching.

It hurts the consumer as it reduces access to the game without pirating.

Jeffrey99

Sep 17, 2007
Columbus, IN
Which is horrible and why I will not buy the products EVER until they mandate laws that stop it. It does nothing but hurt them and the consumer.

You may ask how does it hurt them? It encourages pirating and stuns the growth of the game by preventing another avenue of watching.

It hurts the consumer as it reduces access to the game without pirating.
I agree 100%. Unless the game is blacked out or not televised locally, then I see no reason why someone who lives in Nashville shouldn't be able to watch them play just because they don't have satellite or cable. I never have understood why it's like that in all the sports leagues.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I agree 100%. Unless the game is blacked out or not televised locally, then I see no reason why someone who lives in Nashville shouldn't be able to watch them play just because they don't have satellite or cable. I never have understood why it's like that in all the sports leagues.

This even applies to mobile. If someone isn't home and is trying to watch it on their phone because they are at the store, work, gym, park, etc.... blacked out.

Blackouts in the end cost the Leagues who implement them money from subscribers that would otherwise have paid for them.

It reminds me of the crazy sushi guy we had here in Nashville until last year. He would always go "NO NEW CUSTOMERS!" He he even had signs up. These leagues are driving business away like that guy.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The rules are supposed to benefit local cable companies. A lot of cable revenue comes from fans of teams who pay to watch sports. I think with streaming media/TV and things like that becoming extremely popular, pro sports will adapt, but technology is progressing at a faster rate than the leagues are. For what it's worth, the NFL's blackout policy (which they canceled this season) is/was only predicated on attendance. People in local markets can watch games as long as 93% of seats are sold. Maybe it's 90%.

This was written in February and it's an interesting read because the NHL's blackout rules are basically the same thing as the MLB's, which is discussed here: http://deadspin.com/mlbs-awful-blackout-rules-are-finally-under-attack-in-c-1683259431

Jeffrey99

Sep 17, 2007
Columbus, IN
The rules are supposed to benefit local cable companies. A lot of cable revenue comes from fans of teams who pay to watch sports. I think with streaming media/TV and things like that becoming extremely popular, pro sports will adapt, but technology is progressing at a faster rate than the leagues are. For what it's worth, the NFL's blackout policy (which they canceled this season) is/was only predicated on attendance. People in local markets can watch games as long as 93% of seats are sold. Maybe it's 90%.

This was written in February and it's an interesting read because the NHL's blackout rules are basically the same thing as the MLB's, which is discussed here: http://deadspin.com/mlbs-awful-blackout-rules-are-finally-under-attack-in-c-1683259431
The NFL blackout rule change doesn't affect streaming. It only affects airing non sellout games locally. For example I live in Southern Indiana. The Cincinnati Bengals are blacked out in my area because the NFL considers them my home team since the Louisville station shows them sometimes.

With the NFL streaming you still can only watch out-of-market games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad