Center Depth going forward

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Both Gauthier and Nylander should be ready to contribute next season(not this season)

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Lots can happen in a year, but what do you think about our center depth going into the 2015-16 season?

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
Gauthier
Nylander

Not much tbh. It's passable but Gauthier and Nylander still have to actually play in the NHL. Until then you may as well add Verhaeghe and Carrick

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nylander will likely start on the wing (whenever that start is), then when Bozak's contract is up, he will make the switch to center

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Really don't see Nylander being a centre.

Disagree. They have to groom him as a center, there's no point in loading up on talent and shifting it all to the wing. If he can be a Matt Duchene/Nicklas Backstrom type center for us, we'll be in a great spot, better than if he was another Kessel. In terms of him being so offensive and small, they need to see where Kadri is at, because a Nylander/Kadri one two punch probably won't work.

What they need to do is put a second line center behind him who can be a heavy duty two way presence.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Nylander will likely start on the wing (whenever that start is), then when Bozak's contract is up, he will make the switch to center

I can kind of see that, but they do need to groom him as a center as they bring him along.

William Nylander*

Nylander said he's equally comfortable playing Centre as Wing, so as long as he's just as effective, the choice should definitely be Centre.

I know he played in the middle for Sweden, but he apparently played on the wing for both of his men's teams, another reason I'd prefer him in the AHL- to groom him as a C

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
ppl said the same thing about Kadri. Carlyle has put the unexpected to play center during his tenure... Kadri, Kulemin, JVR, Ashton, etc.

Thats only because we had no natural centers available for that role...

I hope we don't make the same mistake as last season and begin the 2014/2015 season deeper at centre.

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Carrick and McKegg should be added to that list instead of Nylander and Gauthier.

Holland should get a decent role this year and Kadri I think will probably have a much better season than last. He obviously wants to get paid next summer and would want to play his best.

I honestly wouldn't mind going after Derek Roy. Gives us a bit better centre depth and maybe allows Kadri to slip to the wing? At a decent price, could be worth a consideration.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
if we traded phaneuf and kessel we would finish last.

sadly this team is run by idiots and we will once again gun for 9th.

I hope the lack of centre depth will hurt us. I'm also hoping Bozo falls back to earth. With Bolland and Mac gone, Bozo will be the only guy Carlyle trusts to take draws on defence.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Mitch Marner.... kid is a stud. Watch him rise up the rankings this year with a major role in London

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
won't happen we just don't have that suckage but we should go for a guy like barzal

we were the worst team from the Olympic Break - and someone worked it out that even including our huge 14 points in X games... Buffalo, Florida, Edmonton and Calgary were still better than us in a lot of catergories. We. were. horrible. October and January is the only reason why we drafted 8th and not 3rd (or quite frankly 1st or 2nd).

Like - i'm not even being all pessimistic about this. Our schedule next season is horrendous. we're playing i think the 2nd most back to back (by 1 mind you) and about 2/3rds of the opponents are rested. We may not set league records for shots against etc - but i think with us playing more of the Marlies, taking into account Bernier might struggle with starters minutes next year (a given) Rielly's sophomore slump (a possibility) and injuries (a certainty) - it may be tongue in cheek to be all McDavid/Eichel - but I think we all should be brushing up on the top 5 prospects for next season.

in this question - i don't know if Nylander sees NHL duty unless he really, really wows at camp like Rielly did, and you stick him on the 4th line like Colorado did with MacKinnon and work him through the line up that way. I'd rather play him all through camp, stick him on the Marlies, and let Spott do his thing for a year. (same with Freddy).

So i think it's

Bozak
Kadri
Holland
[ufa].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad