Censorship in TVA Sport

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
OT:If it wasn't for ads La Presse+ wouldn't be free. They need those to continue to make LP+ free to all. You can buy the newspaper if you want.

You're just ranting for the sake of ranting. There are still good journalists covering the Habs If you are not interested in columns, skip them. I enjoy reading Guillaume Lefrançois and Marc-Antoine Godin from La Presse, I'm sure there are some decent journalists at Radio-Canada or even Journal de Montreal as well.

1-I know about the economics of a journal. I'm totally fine with ads. Just hate when it becomes too intrusive. Back in the days, a journal was about good and credible information and ads were about rounding out the budget. Now it's the other way around. LaPresse+ is a platform to advertise stuff and the guys at La Presse are 'content providers'. That's right. Journalism is now 'content' that will attract readers so that we can bombard them with images of shiny new stuff to buy. I really don't like where this is going.

2-I'm not ranting just for the sake of ranting. Good journalism is extremely important in a society. And sadly, we don't have much of it around here. And don't get me wrong. This is not necessarily the journalists fault.

3-MA Godin is not bad, I agree. But he's still somewhat limited. He's realively young so I guess he'll get better with time. I usually enjoy Matthias Brunet. Smart guy. But he's got his biases, too.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've mentioned before that I have very little respect for sport journalism in general . The big media conglomerates and the teams are in essence part of the same fallacy, quite often one entity actually directly owning the other. I consider any ''news'' from the guys on the various team beats as entertainment at it's core. It's made to be glorified clickbate and the fact that some journalists act like they're public personalities and celebrities , often equal to the teams they cover , just underlines it even more. In 2015 the middle man could be removed from the equation with very little consequences at all.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
I might be biased, because I know MAG, but he's very fair in his writing. I like him.

Being a journalist is not as easy as most here would think, specially in the sports world. There are A LOT of big egos.

What Michel did (and I know Mike pretty well) is a no-no. Because now, he just put his name on a 'not-to-hire' list. And in this province, there aren't a lot of media conglomerates. He's not helping his cause by saying so outloud. When he gets let go by the radio station (and they all do, it's part of the radio world), where will he be going? Cogeco has the Habs' radio contract. And Bellmedia, well...it's Bellmedia, nothing else to add.

Michel is not a reporter. He's a radio personnality. I wish him all the best, as I believe he's very talented in what he does. He comes from my region, like Denis Casavant and many others, and I have the upmost respect for those who go after their dream and move on to the 'major leagues' of radio or TV in french.

As for the assumption that there aren't any good journalists, 'specially on the french side' to me, reeks borderline redneck talk. But that's just me. There are VERY solid journalists on the french side, and VERY solid journalists on the english side. People should learn the difference between a journalist and a commentator. It would help a ton on this forum.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Yeah MAG is good. He's the one that debunked the "Galchenyuk asked to be moved back to the wing" story last season.

Brunet is also good, but for some reason he's on the "MT and DD are great" team. He had DD as first line centre again a week ago after Bergevin said Galchenyuk was going back to centre.

All the tva spawre guys are atrocious. Even Renaud Lavoie, who wasn't bad during his RDS days, is bad now.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Have you seen how Bergevin handle the media?

Like when he called them out and asked who bashed Therrien? They remained silent because they knew their press card would quickly get revoked.

Here on HFBoards we got your ''bashing'' needs covered.

All the tva spawre guys are atrocious. Even Renaud Lavoie, who wasn't bad during his RDS days, is bad now.

I like Alain Chainey, Jose Theodore, Mathieu Dandenault and Enrico. On RDS Vincent Damphousse is great he gets a free pass and can bash DD.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Have you seen how Bergevin handle the media?

Like when he called them out and asked who bashed Therrien? They remained silent because they knew their press card would quickly get revoked.

Here on HFBoards we got your ''bashing'' needs covered.

I like Alain Chainey, Jose Theodore, Mathieu Dandenault and Enrico. On RDS Vincent Damphousse is great he gets a free pass and can bash DD.

I just caught my first glimpse of Frederique Guay on TVA Sports.
For the love of god can we replace anyone on their hockey panel with her. :naughty:
She could get away with bashing I know she could...:laugh:

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Yeah MAG is good. He's the one that debunked the "Galchenyuk asked to be moved back to the wing" story last season.

Brunet is also good, but for some reason he's on the "MT and DD are great" team. He had DD as first line centre again a week ago after Bergevin said Galchenyuk was going back to centre.

I don't see the link here. It's not because Galchenyuk is moving to center that it makes him the first line center. According to the wingers he plays with and knowing the minutes he will play, Plekanec is clearly the first line center anyway.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
What is naive is calling these guys journalists. :laugh:

There's not much journalists left in the press. Especially in French. La Presse is full of product placement, Le Journal de Montréal is even worse. And they do have to push some agendas to please the bosses.

So when we get down to sports journalists... forget it. Most of them can talk about the Habs and only the Habs. When we got Scott Gomez, Rejean Tremblay and another guy said on the radio it was a bad move because Gomez wasn't even on Team Canada. Just shows how little they know about hockey when you get out of Montreal.

Even the best ones like Matthias Brunet have Desharnais on the first line to start the year. :banghead:

I completely disagree. I think it's way better here than what I see in the US, for instance. I can't compare with Europe or the rest of the world though, I'm not familiar.

The Réjean bit is anecdotal and Tremblay is terrible anyway. You pick on the low hanging fruit there.

As far as Brunet is concerned (gotta say I'm a fan), I'm guessing this is where you saw the DD on the first line thing: http://blogues.lapresse.ca/lnh/2015/09/30/ca-devrait-donc-ressembler-a-ca/

I don't think you're getting what he's saying. He's not preaching that DD should play on the first line. He's guessing that DD will make his way back to the first line, a scenario we've seen happen year after year under Therrien. Makes sense to me, whether I like it or not. Predictions are not wishes.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I completely disagree. I think it's way better here than what I see in the US, for instance. I can't compare with Europe or the rest of the world though, I'm not familiar.

Of course, US media are horrible. I agree 100% on that one. Just for fun, have a look at the media coverage of ebola in the UK vs. in the USA. It's pretty funny. And yes, UK's media were much less sensationalist and essentially right.

As far as Brunet is concerned (gotta say I'm a fan), I'm guessing this is where you saw the DD on the first line thing: http://blogues.lapresse.ca/lnh/2015/09/30/ca-devrait-donc-ressembler-a-ca/

I don't think you're getting what he's saying. He's not preaching that DD should play on the first line. He's guessing that DD will make his way back to the first line, a scenario we've seen happen year after year under Therrien. Makes sense to me, whether I like it or not. Predictions are not wishes.

He is totally preaching that DD should be on the first line. He posted on twitter that all the Habs wingers want to play with Desharnais.

I usually like him too, one of the best around in the franco media. But when it's about Desharnais, he goes bat**** crazy, just like the coach.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Censorship in the media no matter the form, will always exsist. You can't bite the hand that feeds you.

Why talk about the teams real needs or problems when you can spend all day talking about Davey? :laugh:

It's what annoys me about our media. No one asks the hard questions.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I will say that the way the "journalists" handle the press conferences is insulting to the fans. So asking the tough questions is bashing? Habs do seem to only want their own message through. And the incredible part is that not only they don't want any tough questions....but they won't even answer the easy ones too. The questions Martin McGuire ask after every game is an insult to our intelligence.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I will say that the way the "journalists" handle the press conferences is insulting to the fans. So asking the tough questions is bashing? Habs do seem to only want their own message through. And the incredible part is that not only they don't want any tough questions....but they won't even answer the easy ones too. The questions Martin McGuire ask after every game is an insult to our intelligence.

The most critical and perhaps insightful articles tend to come from "out of town" media sources.
We often get our backs up instinctively even though we may agree with the core statement.
What the bleep could they possibly know about our team. But all in all they often come closer to the truth than the daily fluff our beat reporters generate.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
A lot of people hated Michel Villeneuve but he was the jerk that we needed. He didn't give a crap about who he offended.

I heard he left TVA Sports cause he had a fight with someone. But in my book, he was the best at what he was doing.

Which is the opposite of Youppi #2, Dave Morrisette. Who's there for the old ladies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's beyond ridiculous at this point. I don't even understand why they have these interviews anymore. I mean, Therrien didn't even want to answer about what he thought of Tinordi after yesterday's game. He said he didn't want to start evaluating players, but then they asked him about well performing guys and he has no problem answering. What makes it even more annoying is all those journalists sound like they're all suck ups.

It's so sad.
A lot of people hated Michel Villeneuve but he was the jerk that we needed. He didn't give a crap about who he offended.

I heard he left TVA Sports cause he had a fight with someone. But in my book, he was the best at what he was doing.

Which is the opposite of Youppi #2, Dave Morrisette. Who's there for the old ladies.

Villeneuve was an idiot. He didn't ask tough questions. He was the french Tony Marinaro except way dumber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad