GDT: CDSF Game 5: Blackhawks @ Predators, 8:30 PM CT (FS-TN, NBCSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Play with your heart out, boys. Win or lose. Give the crowd something to cheer about.

If we win, you never know what can happen.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Welp...Let's do this! Would love to see Weber return. He's what this team needs to hold on. No choice but to play a FULL 60 (I'm looking at you, 2nd period!)!!

Go Preds!!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
They've played their hearts out all series and have been the recipients of some bad breaks that could've gone either way. They're fully healthy and we're missing two of our best players yet they're struggling to beat us at times. IMO that shows we're a tough team to beat but we aren't quite there yet. Unfortunately the Hawks just seem to have "it" more often than we do and it's showing in this series. I don't fault our guys at all and I guarantee Rinne knows he's been off and feels terrible for it.

That said, I'm not convinced we're going out tonight. I think we can put another good game tonight, get an outcome we deserve and put the pressure back on Chicago for game 6 and let it all hang out on Saturday.

Let's do this ****.

What is the status of Weber? Without him Hossa has had acres of space.
We'll know more after morning skate I'd imagine.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Its only fitting JW does the GDT. Yesterday most of the Admirals were called up yet again. Is the org packing it in and wanting a look at the youngsters? I have no idea, looking forward to seeing the practice lines from this morning.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
They've played their hearts out all series and have been the recipients of some bad breaks that could've gone either way. They're fully healthy and we're missing two of our best players yet they're struggling to beat us at times. IMO that shows we're a tough team to beat but we aren't quite there yet. Unfortunately the Hawks just seem to have "it" more often than we do and it's showing in this series. I don't fault our guys at all and I guarantee Rinne knows he's been off and feels terrible for it.

That said, I'm not convinced we're going out tonight. I think we can put another good game tonight, get an outcome we deserve and put the pressure back on Chicago for game 6 and let it all hang out on Saturday.

Let's do this ****.

Sorry to be infringing on your grounds, but I think you're spot on with this. Series would be different if you had Weber and Fisher. It would also be greatly different if we didn't have two of our best players (Toews & Kane, Keith & Kane).

I think Renne has played very well, but Josi has struggled without Weber, and Seth Jones will be an elite defender (assuming he keeps progressing), but he's been constantly appointed to keep tabs on Kane, whereas we have Toews, Hossa, and Saad skating almost free.

From our point of view, we have been lucky not to have any serious injuries, and in fact we are fortunate that we got Kane back as quickly as we did. The player of the series so far is Darling, who is playing out of his mind and it has surprised everyone.

Not sure if the series will end tonight. Of course I hope it does, but you guys definitely have a solid squad and it's (almost) a shame we couldn't have played this with both equally healthy squads.

Filip Forceberg

Sep 19, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry to be infringing on your grounds, but I think you're spot on with this. Series would be different if you had Weber and Fisher. It would also be greatly different if we didn't have two of our best players (Toews & Kane, Keith & Kane).

I think Renne has played very well, but Josi has struggled without Weber, and Seth Jones will be an elite defender (assuming he keeps progressing), but he's been constantly appointed to keep tabs on Kane, whereas we have Toews, Hossa, and Saad skating almost free.

From our point of view, we have been lucky not to have any serious injuries, and in fact we are fortunate that we got Kane back as quickly as we did. The player of the series so far is Darling, who is playing out of his mind and it has surprised everyone.

Not sure if the series will end tonight. Of course I hope it does, but you guys definitely have a solid squad and it's (almost) a shame we couldn't have played this with both equally healthy squads.

I agree with everything except the part about Josi struggling without Weber. Josi has looked fine. Jones on the other hand...

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I agree with everything except the part about Josi struggling without Weber. Josi has looked fine. Jones on the other hand...

Josi definitely struggled in game 3. I thought our top 4 in game 4 were pretty great (especially when considering how much they were asked to play), except Josi screwing up on Chicago's second goal.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec

Josi has made numerous mistakes defending. When he's going forward he's dangerous as hell. But he has given Hossa, Shaw, Saad, (Insert Name), too much space when we are deep in the zone.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Josi was awful in Game 3 but his Game 4 was fantastic. His shortcoming were not as blatantly evident as Jones' were in both Game 3 and 4.

What I've learned is that Jones/Josi is a terrible pairing because it hinders Josi's ability to do Josi things in turn making him play worse. Jones is prone to huge errors but he's also prone to making brilliant offensive plays. Jones needs to play with someone who likes staying back in the defensive zone so Jones can free-wheel (Volchenkov).

In regards to Josi's ability to defend the top line of the Hawks, I think what it basically comes down to is that Josi and Jones don't trust each other the way Josi and Weber do which is causing them both to make mistakes and cover the wrong players or make big errors (like on the Saad goal when they both went to Hossa).

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Josi has made numerous mistakes defending. When he's going forward he's dangerous as hell. But he has given Hossa, Shaw, Saad, (Insert Name), too much space when we are deep in the zone.

To be fair Josi has had to watch out for Jones in the last couple something he is not accustomed to. This is the one area in Josi's game he needs to shore up. He has not had to be concerned with his partner unless Weber has been out of the line-up. With that said he will adjust, I doubt it will be this playoff series but he is one guy that should be untouchable in my book. And is the sole reason we do not think about that traitor that plays in the twin cities now.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
josi-jones is simply not a good pairing. josi needs a strong stay at home guy to allow him to freedom to skate the puck into the zone and think offense while knowing he has a strong stay at home guy back protecting. and jones does as well. it neutralizies the strength of both of these guys games, josi's being far more critical to our success because he's just flat out far better at creating than jones.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
josi-jones is simply not a good pairing. josi needs a strong stay at home guy to allow him to freedom to skate the puck into the zone and think offense while knowing he has a strong stay at home guy back protecting. and jones does as well. it neutralizies the strength of both of these guys games, josi's being far more critical to our success because he's just flat out far better at creating than jones.

Wouldn't that be Yeo's task to assign different game plans to players when a building block player is missing.

Whatever, it is not over ... and they will fight with their hearth and their head tonight.

At the end ... you have to win 4 games out of 7 !! ... the order in which you win them can be random.

out of 3 losses, 2 in OT 2 and 3 are luck or unluck or whatever you want to name it. It tells me that they could win another 2 in OT but this time the odds falling on the side of the Preds.

and jstreet is right ...Rinne woke up.

All this is just philosophy ... go Preds, wear your skates and fight and win this and the next 2 games.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Josi was awful in Game 3 but his Game 4 was fantastic. His shortcoming were not as blatantly evident as Jones' were in both Game 3 and 4.

What I've learned is that Jones/Josi is a terrible pairing because it hinders Josi's ability to do Josi things in turn making him play worse. Jones is prone to huge errors but he's also prone to making brilliant offensive plays. Jones needs to play with someone who likes staying back in the defensive zone so Jones can free-wheel (Volchenkov).

In regards to Josi's ability to defend the top line of the Hawks, I think what it basically comes down to is that Josi and Jones don't trust each other the way Josi and Weber do which is causing them both to make mistakes and cover the wrong players or make big errors (like on the Saad goal when they both went to Hossa).
I thought Jones was pretty good in Game 4. But to be fair, everything Jones does well is generally forgotten as soon as the next line change but the mistakes live on for weeks. Not that it matters at the end of the day but still. Josi was alright, but I agree him and Jones aren't a very productive pairing. At least right now. I think Jones has looked his best when he was paired with Ekholm during the period when Ellis was out.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
SPECIAL PROMOTION NIGHT after the game each Nashville Predators player will either be handed a golf scoring card or a plane ticket to Chicago.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Jones and Josi have been fine. They have had a few defensive breakdowns. In particular Saad's goal in game 4 and I believe Toews goal in game 3 were the exact same play. Simple three on three that those guys misplayed. But in game 4 they were both fantastic for the most part. It's still a learning process for Jones though no doubt. I'm hard on Jones but some here are far to critical. He's had a good playoff overall.

I think we saw Jones, Ellis, Ekholm and Jarnkrok all grow up in front of our eyes in game 4, They all played tremendously. Usually teams with lots of young players in important roles have to go through games and series like this before they get over the hump.

Like I saw Lavy say in the paper today it is cliche but you have to take it one game at a time. In reality I know winning three against the Hawks probably isn't going to happen but hold serve here at home and find a miracle on the road in Chicago and all of a sudden it's game 7 here in Nashville and all bets are off.

Regardless I am happy with effort the team put into this series. We knew they had to elevate their game after a putrid end to the season and they have done that. They just have ran into a team that is about as close and you will get to a "dynasty" in the cap era and lost two irreplaceable players and not really getting the bounces and a back up goalie is playing like damn Patrick Roy and Kane returning and..... blah blah. You get the point.

Last edited:

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Jones and Josi have been fine. They have had a few defensive breakdowns. In particular Saad's goal in game 4 and I believe Toews goal in game 3 were the exact same play. Simple three on three that those guys misplayed. But in game 4 they were both fantastic for the most part. It's still a learning process for Jones though no doubt. I'm hard on Jones but some here are far to critical. He's had a good playoff overall.

I think we saw Jones, Ellis, Ekholm and Jarnkrok all grow up in front of our eyes in game 4, They all played tremendously. Usually teams with lots of young players in important roles have to go through games and series like this before they get over the hump.

Like I saw Lavy say in the paper today it is cliche but you have to take it one game at a time. In reality I know winning three against the Hawks probably isn't going to happen but hold serve here at home and find a miracle on the road in Chicago and all of a sudden it's game 7 here in Nashville and all bets are off.

Regardless I am happy with effort the team put into this series. We knew they had to elevate their game after a putrid end to the season and they have done that. They just have ran into a team that is about as close and you will get to a "dynasty" in the cap era and lost two irreplaceable players and not really getting the bounces and a back up goalie is playing like damn Patrick Roy and Kane returning and..... blah blah. You get the point.

Yep- not enough being said about Jarnkrok's game- he was great. I know a lot of people have given up on him but if he can bulk up a bit and get his offense going he is going to be a very good 2 way NHL player.

FEARoN

Apr 20, 2015
Kentucky
I hope these guys stay loose tonight. No need to change the game plan. Aside from a period of two, they've played very well. Keep up the pressure And Leave it all on the ice tonight boys.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Yep- not enough being said about Jarnkrok's game- he was great. I know a lot of people have given up on him but if he can bulk up a bit and get his offense going he is going to be a very good 2 way NHL player.

I felt like I was watching a completely different player than the regular season Jarnkrok I saw. I agree with everything you said. Put on some size and grow his offense game and he would be one hell of a player. I'm hoping that was the game that really gets his confidence up realizing he can be a go to player in this league and rockets his game to another level long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad