GDT: Cbus vs Caps. 7pm.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Feels like there are so many dudes on this team "due", and they just have been unlucky.

CMC should have way more then 3 points, Sandin should have more then 1, I honestly think most of the guys beyond like Nicky and Oshie have been super due for a point explosion.
Dare I add Anthony Mantha as one of those due? ***ducks***

Oshie does appear as the weakest link now, unfortunately.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

I was a Mantha truther last year. I still don't think he's as good as he was to start last year, but I think he 100% deserves a run on the top 6 over Oshie at this point.

Reactions: HTFN and Block

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Hats off to Chucky Sideburns! He played a level needed that we haven't seen from him in a long time.

Just some strange numbers

In 4 regulation losses, Caps GF: 2 GA:17(4-0, 6-1, 4-1 and 3-0)

In their 6 other games, 5-0-1 GF:19 GA:13

PK is getting stronger the more the same new players play together. PP is just trash! Need to change the philosophy to shoot first and drive the net for rebounds.

Maybe OV needs to start being closer to the net and try to get some dirty goals? He still has a strong shot, but he's not able to blast pucks by goalies anymore.

View attachment 763136

My game puck tonight goes to Charlie Lindgren for saving 35 of 36 shots and almost 2 goals saved above expected.

Honorable mention to Rasmus Sandin for a 60+% xGF while playing all situations tonight, and getting his first point of the year!
Twabby, are advanced stats like a fetish of yours?!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I voted Wilson for the great goal and good hits throughout game. It's a close one.
Willy definitely played like a man possessed tonight.

Also, it seemed like he was maybe bumped up to PP1? It was hard to tell cause TJ was still out there - but Wilson would seemingly replace him fairly quickly, while Kuzy, JC74 and Strome were still out there.

Did anyone else notice this? I’ll have to see if it’s reflected in the stat sheets. I’ve wondered if this move might be on the horizon. Oshie has looked really ineffective in the bumper slot. He can’t win FOs, his footwork isn’t there anymore, and he’s either getting nothing on his shots, or sailing them 4 feet wide.

Tom obviously doesn’t have Oshie’s hands, but he’s a great net front presence, and can coral the puck in traffic and pound it home.

If Carbs was willing to demote Backy to PP2, maybe he would do the same to Oshie if he doesn’t regain his form.

Reactions: WanderingCapsFan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Willy definitely played like a man possessed tonight.

Also, it seemed like he was maybe bumped up to PP1? It was hard to tell cause TJ was still out there - but Wilson would seemingly replace him fairly quickly, while Kuzy, JC74 and Strome were still out there.

Did anyone else notice this? I’ll have to see if it’s reflected in the stat sheets. I’ve wondered if this move might be on the horizon. Oshie has looked really ineffective in the bumper slot. He can’t win FOs, his footwork isn’t there anymore, and he’s either getting nothing on his shots, or sailing them 4 feet wide.

Tom obviously doesn’t have Oshie’s hands, but he’s a great net front presence, and can coral the puck in traffic and pound it home.

If Carbs was willing to demote Backy to PP2, maybe he would do the same to Oshie if he doesn’t regain his form.
Oshie also took a puck to the hands the other day, might be feeling some lingering impact there and doing his best because that seems how he's wired but also kind of, like, a good enough team guy to not hurt them actively. Doesn't hurt that he and Tom seem to love each other and pal around all the time, but I think he's possibly already wrestling with a thing.

Could be coincidental though and just another "long thing coming" move from coaching.

Reactions: RedRocking

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I like the way they are playing. Carbery has done a great job implementing his system, and over the last handful of games the players have done a good job executing it. There is a semblance of an identity here, which is more than what you could say under Todd and Lavi. This idea that the team is too old to play an up-tempo style and that they will get crushed by faster teams hasn't proven true, at least not so far early in the season. They played well against the Leafs, and probably deserved better outcome and they beat the Devils. I'm hoping they start scoring soon, thats what they need to focus on now. My gut is telling me this team will compete for a playoff spot.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
curb-your-enthusiasm-larry-david.gif

Are they better than they were under Lavi? I dunno really. A bit more crafty with the puck now and then but I'm not sure it amounts to enough. They still really struggle to gain separation on anyone. In some respects they're due to break out offensively yet...on paper it's a very thin lineup. Not being any good with the man advantage further highlights their inability to punch through.

I'm also skeptical that their bench management--playing Kuznetsov, Carlson, Sandin and Ovechkin as much as they do--is a recipe for playoff contention over months and months. They'll get Dowd back soon-ish but they're going to need to trust their depth more.

The next four games should be great tests.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Oshie also took a puck to the hands the other day, might be feeling some lingering impact there and doing his best because that seems how he's wired but also kind of, like, a good enough team guy to not hurt them actively. Doesn't hurt that he and Tom seem to love each other and pal around all the time, but I think he's possibly already wrestling with a thing.

Could be coincidental though and just another "long thing coming" move from coaching.
Yea, might not be a big deal, and more just me wondering when/if Oshie will get demoted. They could barely could get the PP set up, so CBus had a bunch of easy clears. As it became a skating exercise, TJ may have just been tapping out early.

I hope he can find his game soon. As someone who helped define the bumper position for a decade, it will be a bummer if he can’t hack it anymore.

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
Feels like there are so many dudes on this team "due", and they just have been unlucky.

CMC should have way more then 3 points, Sandin should have more then 1, I honestly think most of the guys beyond like Nicky and Oshie have been super due for a point explosion.
Oshie is the most due.

Reactions: Calicaps

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013

Mantha has been playing better this year, but Oshie deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Calicaps

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
thought Oshie played well to begin the season, but has trailed off a bit with no scoring. I’d be all for flipping Mantha and Oshie lines.

Players in general seem to be finding their way and games. OV has been better. Wilson has been better. Jensen and Sandin both getting better.

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Hopefully, TVR is ok. Looked like his left knee.

Yeah we need him. May said he thought it was bad:/

This was a hockey game. The Caps won.

Yeah we need him. May said he thought it was bad:/

This was a hockey game. The Caps won.

Im also realising that if you pretend Mantha is 5'11 185 lbs his style becomes less irritating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad