News Article: CBS Sports: Why the Coyotes can survive and thrive in AZ

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm actually impressed whoever wrote that did enough digging to find out that the USA Hockey membership increase was significantly due to all of the erstwhile Polar Ice adult leagues coming into the fold. Did not realize the under-8 numbers had gone up, too (although that might also come from those rinks changing affiliation as well?)

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I call foul play. Every knows who Fitz is. He was in the freaking Super Bowl for pete's sakes.

I think it can be pretty easily explained by the Coyotes actually linking the vote on their website's front page. Couldn't see it on the others at first glance.

Though I do think Doan choosing to come back during the middle of the ownership crisis earned him a ton of goodwill even from non-hockey fans.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
Doan - 4728 votes

(Cardinals) Fitz, Arians, Palmer, Peterson, Mathieu, Campbell, (ASU)Todd Grahm, Bercovici, (DBacks) Goldschmidt combined got 2059 votes.

I think it's also because it was BICKLEY, who most Coyotes fans can't stand, had Doan at #7.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Longevity wins. With the franchise since 1995.

Doan will be the fourth-oldest NHLer next year, behind only Jagr, Elias, and Boyle.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I call foul play. Every knows who Fitz is. He was in the freaking Super Bowl for pete's sakes.

I'm with you.

No disrespect to Doaner, but I can't fathom how he received roughly 9 times the number of votes Goldy did, 5 times the number votes Fitz did, and over 3 times the number of votes Goldy and Fitz had combined.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
Paul Goldschmidt should be the most popular athlete in the valley and one of the most popular in the nation but you barely hear about him. It's crazy how good he is and how few people are aware of it.

Having said that, props to the Coyote fans who picked up some lessons from the KC Royals fans on how to stuff a digital ballot.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Paul Goldschmidt should be the most popular athlete in the valley and one of the most popular in the nation but you barely hear about him. It's crazy how good he is and how few people are aware of it.

Having said that, props to the Coyote fans who picked up some lessons from the KC Royals fans on how to stuff a digital ballot.

And the MLB is actually in season. The DBacks are actually playing games right now. How many Yotes fans are checking out the AZC page on a daily basis vs. Dbacks fans right now? This is rigged.

Howler Scores

Mar 13, 2011
Maricopa County
Another unsubstantiated claim cited as fact, that this article cites TMZ is just icing on this rrrrretarded ****ing cake.

Then it was discovered that he had been ordered by a judge to stay away from the mother of his child for an incident that allegedly happened in October, the kind of momentary headline that can damage a good name. The timing is curious, and Fitzgerald said the people who know him understand the truth. But who really knows Fitzgerald?

Read more: http://archive.azcentral.com/sports.../01/01/20090101spt-bickley.html#ixzz3ie0BWCqE

Not trying to derail the thread. Just stating why people may not pick him. Doan seems pretty happy to win this thing. It appears the Coyotes were pumping him up to win it so however it happened, I am glad it did.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It appears the Coyotes were pumping him up to win it so however it happened, I am glad it did.

I was happy with the poll results for no other reason than to directly contradict Bickley's smug-ass video explaining why second-tier Cardinals players are the biggest stars in the Valley.

In my mind, the hierarchy should be Fitz, Goldy, and Doaner before anyone else, but I'm certainly not representative of Arizona sports fans, I've discovered.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad