CBJ's willingness to spend closer to cap...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Whats more valuable to the franchise, getting what maybe a few mid to late round picks, along with MAYBE a low value prospect or a cup run possibly even a cup?

To me this team's window is gonna open this or next season. And if Hartnell is still producing he's worth it to this team to stick around. Even if he's declining I think he still brings all the right things this organization needs. Like someone else mentioned awhile his style of play isn't one that's gonna see a huge decline as he ages. Speed was never a factor in his play. And even if we never make a cup run and his contract expires with us, all we really lost out on was Umberger so, who really cares?

I think there is a long window for Columbus right now.
IMO the window gets closed early if you don't make strategic moves now.
If you wait until Hartnell regresses then he becomes a liability (vs. his contract). I'm not sure if that happens this season or next but it will happen.

So what I'm hearing is you want to keep Hartnell, probably make the playoffs, but with our defense we won't get far. May win a round. Then next off-season make tweaks, then have to deal with more contracts.

I'm not saying "trade Hartnell" but you have to look at deals. Is some team loaded at d-men and needs a Hartnell or Atkinson? I wouldn't trade Hartnell for a future 2nd round pick (or whatever), but if you can package him for a d-man then I look at it.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood."

So what I'm hearing is you want to keep Hartnell, probably make the playoffs, but with our defense we won't get far. May win a round. Then next off-season make tweaks, then have to deal with more contracts.

Then you use one of those defenceman to get veteran, strong, puck-possession able winger or whatever is next on the long list of must haves and those so dearly missed.

Did Los Angeles Kings or Chicago Blackhawks by the way have the perfect storm coming into any of their recent cup campaigns? Wasn't there all kinds of rookies and buy-out canditates involved that let them get there in the first place before trading away key pieces.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
These three sentences individually all make some sense. Put together not so much. :help:

English was never my strong suit in high school :laugh:

By letting Hartnell finish out his contract here, we create almost 5M in cap space if he's not resigned.

I think there is a long window for Columbus right now.
IMO the window gets closed early if you don't make strategic moves now.
If you wait until Hartnell regresses then he becomes a liability (vs. his contract). I'm not sure if that happens this season or next but it will happen.

I'm not saying "trade Hartnell" but you have to look at deals. Is some team loaded at d-men and needs a Hartnell or Atkinson? I wouldn't trade Hartnell for a future 2nd round pick (or whatever), but if you can package him for a d-man then I look at it.

This whole thing is based on Hartnell having pretty major regressions, but to me if he's still putting up 40-50pts, hitting everything and still playing his "Hartnell down" style of hockey then why trade him? Everyone was so sure his numbers would dip when he was traded here, then he almost puts up a career year.

If his play starts to dip then I agree do whatever you can to move him, but until that happens I see no reason to move him as he is a major contributer on and off the ice. I mean he's like a father to some of the rookies :laugh:

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Hartnell is 33 years old and last year was his 2nd best year in 5 years (2011-12 he had 67 points in 82 games, last year he had 60 points in 77 games).
There probably isn't a very good probability that you see him produce at his current rate over the remainder of his contract.
In 2010-11 he was 49 points in 82 games, in 12-12 he had 11 points in 32 games and in 2013-14 he had 52 points in 78 games.

So yes my money is on seeing him regress (over his remaining contract) given his age and his results last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad