Proposal: Cbj/van

canucksfan100

Apr 3, 2007
TO Vancouver
Scott Hartnell

To Blue Jackets
Luca Sbisa
*Either 10-25% retained or a draft pick(4th round)*

Sbisa clears a bit of cap for the Jackets and they save a year in term, while the Canucks add a 2nd line winger that can produce 20 goals.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
TO Vancouver
Scott Hartnell

To Blue Jackets
Luca Sbisa
*Either 10-25% retained or a draft pick(4th round)*

Sbisa clears a bit of cap for the Jackets and they save a year in term, while the Canucks add a 2nd line winger that can produce 20 goals.

No thanks, CBJ has no room for Sbisa. Much rather retain some salary on Hartnell and get a pick or prospect in return. Just don't see a fit here.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
No thanks, CBJ has no room for Sbisa. Much rather retain some salary on Hartnell and get a pick or prospect in return. Just don't see a fit here.

what retention would you do on hartnell?

we would need to move a roster F likely going back as we have a log jam at all positions and risk waivers again like last year.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
From the posts I've seen Canucks fans seem to feel Sbisa has negative value.

Hartnell does not have negative value to Columbus. Here are some comparisons:

Hartnell 34 signed until he's 37 at 4.75 million - 2015 28 g 60 pts. 2016 23 g 49 pts

Ladd 30 signed until he's 37 at 5.5 million - 2015 24 g 62 pts. 2016 25 g 46 pts

Nielson 32 signed until he's 38 at 5.25 million - 2015 14 g 43 pts. 2016 20 g 52 pts

Columbus isn't taking your throwaways for Hartnell.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
From the posts I've seen Canucks fans seem to feel Sbisa has negative value.

Hartnell does not have negative value to Columbus. Here are some comparisons:

Hartnell 34 signed until he's 37 at 4.75 million - 2015 28 g 60 pts. 2016 23 g 49 pts

Ladd 30 signed until he's 37 at 5.5 million - 2015 24 g 62 pts. 2016 25 g 46 pts

Nielson 32 signed until he's 38 at 5.25 million - 2015 14 g 43 pts. 2016 20 g 52 pts

Columbus isn't taking your throwaways for Hartnell.

IMHO Cbus doesn't trade Hartnell unless it's for a younger scoring winger with a higher contract that doesn't fit the other team or a lesser player who could become the 45-60 point winger Hartnell brings.
We own neither.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I thought columbus was trying to trade Hartnell to get out of his contract due to cap constraints? I know they bought out a couple players and resigned Jones. Also Torts seemed to not be to impressed with Hartnell and had him up and down the lineup.

What does Columbus need in return, lw rw d?

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
A big hell no to that one. Hartnell and his NMC will use up a protected player spot in the expansion draft. He's all yours CBJ.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
A big hell no to that one. Hartnell and his NMC will use up a protected player spot in the expansion draft. He's all yours CBJ.

if he is traded I believe the team acquiring has the choice to keep the nmc or not have it. Likely no team allows it to stay in place

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
A #1C, a #3C, or a prospect C. It has to be positive value coming back though, or we just keep Hartnell, it would hurt the team a lot to lose him.

well he wont net you a #1C thats for sure. Canucks only have 4C who could project to be 3rd line C. SO doubtful a deal could be made

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I thought columbus was trying to trade Hartnell to get out of his contract due to cap constraints? I know they bought out a couple players and resigned Jones. Also Torts seemed to not be to impressed with Hartnell and had him up and down the lineup.

What does Columbus need in return, lw rw d?

I don't agree with your impression. Hartnell was available due to cap constraints, but now that Jones is signed long term and there is cap space available from the Tyutin and Boll buyouts there is no reason to trade him unless the trade makes Columbus better.

Hartnell is a cheap 1 or 2 W. He's not slowing down and is an important player in Columbus. Tortorella does seem to like him and plays him up and down the lineup to leverage his abilities- he can mentor and create space for the young guys, he's always a threat to score and he agitates.

It's hard to replace 20+ goals.

Think of it this way: What would you want for the Yotes least valuable 20 goal scorer?

Here's another way to look at it: what would the Coyotes want for Vermette? He's a similar age and scores less than Hartnell.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
well he wont net you a #1C thats for sure. Canucks only have 4C who could project to be 3rd line C. SO doubtful a deal could be made

Yeah I was just listing the pieces that could actually entice Columbus beyond a pure value trade. You could put together something else with young players/picks. But we don't need to clear space anymore, so absent good value why would we move him?

I'm not even worried about the NMC issue. One of three things is likely to happen: 1) Hartnell waives, 2) Hartnell is traded at the deadline for a lot more than now, or 3) He won't waive, isn't traded, and Las Vegas ends up picking a player from the Jackets that they would have picked whether Hartnell was protected or not. It could be worse than that, but it's not likely to happen.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
what retention would you do on hartnell?

we would need to move a roster F likely going back as we have a log jam at all positions and risk waivers again like last year.

I believe the CBJ would retain $1M or so for decent return and no contracts coming back. Hartnell at $3.75M would be a good addition. I don't think Columbus is desperate to move him but would if they could and not being back money.

Also, Hartnells contract declines in real money over the last three years and he doesn't turn 37 until April of the last year of his deal so he's playng at 36, not 37. Not,ideal but not brutal either

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
if he is traded I believe the team acquiring has the choice to keep the nmc or not have it. Likely no team allows it to stay in place

This is not true. It only applies when the player is traded before the NMC is in effect.

Once it is in effect, it stays in effect even if the player waives it to be traded to a new team. For instance, Hartnell waived his NMC to be traded to Columbus. Columbus never had a choice about whether or not to entertain his NMC after acquiring him.

One thing is, though, Jarmo could allow Benning to talk to Hartnell. Hartnell might be willing to waive it for the expansion draft.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I believe the CBJ would retain $1M or so for decent return and no contracts coming back. Hartnell at $3.75M would be a good addition. I don't think Columbus is desperate to move him but would if they could and not being back money.

Also, Hartnells contract declines in real money over the last three years and he doesn't turn 37 until April of the last year of his deal so he's playng at 36, not 37. Not,ideal but not brutal either

But we would want Hartnell at $3.75m!! Heck, depending on Jarmo's salary plans for the next couple years, I'd take Hartnell at $5m. At the very least, he's going to be worth more at the trade deadline given that he is that final piece type of player for a contender.

And as I've already argued in this thread, it's very unlikely that Columbus loses extra value in the expansion draft because of Hartnell's NMC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad