Value of: CBJ UFAS + Goaltenders

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Safe to say you can put a fork in CBJ for the 2021 season. How would you value the following players and how likely is it that you feel they’re moved?

Nick Foligno *c* (Rumored interest from Avalanche, Islanders, and Leafs)

David Savaard (#1 on TSN trade board)

Joonas Korprisalo OR Elvis Merzlikins
(With the other being signed to CBJ long term)

Riley Nash

Boone Jenner (UFA after 2022 season)

Feel free to add any other player you feel is likely to be moved that I may have missed.

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Ditto, ask from Edmonton for Jenner and Elvis/Korpisalo.

The cap reality in Edmonton means any trade Holland makes has to be $$$ in = $$$ out.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Why would Columbus move either of the goalies at the deadline? Korpisalo will be protected for the expansion draft and Elvis is not eligible to be drafted. Their best goalie prospect (Tarasov) will likely play in Cleveland next year. It would be wise to give Korpi and Elvis another year for Jarmo to figure out who is the better one to hold on to and who can be moved once Tarasov is NHL ready.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Jenner is the kind of guy I would like in Habs uniform maybe Armia+3rd Pick 2021 work?

Twain

Jul 1, 2019
Jenner is not UFA. He has a year left after this one. Of course he can still be traded.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
What does Columbus need in return?
The core need is a #1C, but we're not getting that for the rentals and such we have. So instead, lottery tickets are the order of the day. Someone who can play center in the top-6 competently would also be nice, but that's probably also stretching it with the assets we're making available.

Some prospects are OK, altho by and large we're going to be trying to do our own selection. In particular, blueline prospects are of reduced value because our blueline is still largely set.

EDIT: Oh, and extended cap term is Very Very Bad because we still have plans to keep guys like Jones and Laine and Werenski and at least one of the goaltenders and... ;)

* * *​
Picks, prospects, and anyone who can play center.
Not quite "anyone". We have several guys who can play C already; they just can't do it in the top-6 without embarrassing themselves and others.

* * *​
Jenner is the kind of guy I would like in Habs uniform maybe Armia+3rd Pick 2021 work?
Nope. Wingers don't help.

Reactions: rotsbu

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

I don't see what this does for CBJ... its essentially a 3rd rd pick and a way for the Habs to drop salary. Armia is a pending UFA, and trading off C's (which they need) for wingers (which they don't) is counter-intuitive.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Kerfoot and a pick for Jenner? Kerfoot has put up similar totals to Jenner despite less ice time and lesser linemates. Leafs could use a player like Jenner for the playoffs

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Strome in Chicago is available. He is more of a fisher than a finisher so that might be good for Laine. I think if you put those two together along with a guy that will work for the puck you could have a good line.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
My initial thought in creating the sub was see what picks / prospects cbj could get.

Hoping that cbj could then use what they received, parlay it, and trade it to a team in the off-season for their needs.

Completely hypothetical but let’s say Savaard and Foligno both get 1st rounders.
Cbj then takes those 2 1st + whatever else is needed and offers it for a #1c in the off-season.

Reactions: Toe Pick

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kerfoot and a pick for Jenner? Kerfoot has put up similar totals to Jenner despite less ice time and lesser linemates. Leafs could use a player like Jenner for the playoffs
Kerfoot is not of interest for a number of reasons:
1) He's not top-6 capable, so that doesn't solve any problems here
2) We have no desire to downgrade further at C
3) His contract extends an extra year into that period where we'll be trying to retain Jones, Werenski, Laine, one of the goaltenders, and a few others
4) We're just way too f***ing tired of seeing his name over and over and over and over and over and

So no. :)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Strome in Chicago is available. He is more of a fisher than a finisher so that might be good for Laine. I think if you put those two together along with a guy that will work for the puck you could have a good line.
As vociferously negatively as I've responded to Strome proposals in the past (pre-Laine trade), I'd almost be tempted to give him a try. It depends heavily on what Chicago's asking for, though - we're not exactly attempting to buy.

Reactions: banks

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The core need is a #1C, but we're not getting that for the rentals and such we have. So instead, lottery tickets are the order of the day. Someone who can play center in the top-6 competently would also be nice, but that's probably also stretching it with the assets we're making available.

Some prospects are OK, altho by and large we're going to be trying to do our own selection. In particular, blueline prospects are of reduced value because our blueline is still largely set.

EDIT: Oh, and extended cap term is Very Very Bad because we still have plans to keep guys like Jones and Laine and Werenski and at least one of the goaltenders and... ;)

* * *​

Not quite "anyone". We have several guys who can play C already; they just can't do it in the top-6 without embarrassing themselves and others.

* * *​

Nope. Wingers don't help.
But what bout Roslovic?

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
My initial thought in creating the sub was see what picks / prospects cbj could get.

Hoping that cbj could then use what they received, parlay it, and trade it to a team in the off-season for their needs.

Completely hypothetical but let’s say Savaard and Foligno both get 1st rounders.
Cbj then takes those 2 1st + whatever else is needed and offers it for a #1c in the off-season.

Exactly. At this point stockpile as many draft assets as we can get and use as ammo to take care of needs this offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad