Confirmed with Link: CBJ trade Voracek, 2023 6th to Arizona for Gillies

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
This still kind of a weird trade to me. I do wonder about assurances from Jake that he's retiring/done. The last update we had was not likely to play this season, but he didn't rule out next season.

This gives Arizona flexibility now as they have contracts in place to reach the cap floor next season. They should be paying us for that luxury, not the other way around.
Jake would be an idiot to play next season, he'd also be an idiot to retire. I don't think he's an idiot, I think he'll sit at home and collect his paychecks.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Reallu hope not.

But they’ll have ton of cap space to take advantage of teams.

Sad way for Voracek to end his career has to be said
i'd be a bit surprised if it was jt miller but i personally wouldn't mind it all that much. he's definitely better as a winger but i think he'd be a nice fit with johnson and laine. he could take the face-offs for kent and they could be a 1B to the 13-38-86 1A line.

that said it would flat out SUCK for that move to happen down the stretch since it could give them two competent scoring lines. maybe better for the summer.

Jake would be an idiot to play next season, he'd also be an idiot to retire. I don't think he's an idiot, I think he'll sit at home and collect his paychecks.
if you can make an insurance company cut $7.5m worth of checks and all you have to do is not play professional hockey, you have a moral duty to do that imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: CBJx614

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
This still kind of a weird trade to me. I do wonder about assurances from Jake that he's retiring/done. The last update we had was not likely to play this season, but he didn't rule out next season.

This gives Arizona flexibility now as they have contracts in place to reach the cap floor next season. They should be paying us for that luxury, not the other way around.
Meh, even if Jake does play next year (which is unlikely in and of itself) he would have negative value in a trade at $8.25M to every team in the league… except Arizona. They’re the ones in control here. So giving up a late-rounder isn’t a big deal.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
if you can make an insurance company cut $7.5m worth of checks and all you have to do is not play professional hockey, you have a moral duty to do that imo.
Just to correct one thing - Jake gets paid at 100%. It would be the CBJ (now AZ) who would receive the insurance reimbursemement.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
Meh, even if Jake does play next year (which is unlikely in and of itself) he would have negative value in a trade at $8.25M to every team in the league… except Arizona. They’re the ones in control here. So giving up a late-rounder isn’t a big deal.
i think he'd have value in theory as an LTIR add unless they change those rules.

like if a contender LTIR's a guy who isn't out for the whole year (like duclair in florida this year) they could trade for voracek, then LTIR him when their other guy comes back, and it's like having an extra $8m of cap for the rest of the year.

Just to correct one thing - Jake gets paid at 100%. It would be the CBJ (now AZ) who would receive the insurance reimbursemement.
technically him getting the checks from ARI and ARI getting checks from the insurance company still counts as 'making an insurance company cut $7.5m worth of checks' ;)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
i'd be a bit surprised if it was jt miller but i personally wouldn't mind it all that much. he's definitely better as a winger but i think he'd be a nice fit with johnson and laine. he could take the face-offs for kent and they could be a 1B to the 13-38-86 1A line.

that said it would flat out SUCK for that move to happen down the stretch since it could give them two competent scoring lines. maybe better for the summer.

He’s turning 30y in few weeks time.

Gaudreau should be the only big money 30y contract on the roster at this point of the rebuild

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
If this is true, an another excellent trade by Jarmo. There is no value in 6th round pick, and AHL goalie should not hurt.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
If this is true, an another excellent trade by Jarmo. There is no value in 6th round pick,
funny enough this whole chain of events started with a 6th round pick (gavrikov) but that's definitely an anomaly
and AHL goalie should not hurt.
i assume they'll call gillies back up after trading quick so they can keep tarasov and greaves eligible for the AHL playoffs (or call up greaves and have gillies as the playoff push guy)

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Lots of cap space...Erik Karlsson incoming.

FTR, I do not approve this message.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

domi28

Dec 5, 2017
It's not a home run move but it's a good solid move by Jarmo if it does nothing more than guarantee the performance bonus money does not carry over to next season. Half a million here or there off the cap is the difference between trading a guy like Bean or a guy like Bjorkstrand.

Reactions: Fro

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
So.... what is the Arizona long term plan? Tank, then when your good prospects are starting to turn into players, sell everyone and... tank again?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
So.... what is the Arizona long term plan? Tank, then when your good prospects are starting to turn into players, sell everyone and... tank again?

Never be good.
Acquire as many LTIRretired guys as you can, preferable if the cash on the back end is low.
????
Profit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad