Confirmed with Link: CBJ to retire Rick Nash’s #61

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Read again.

No you don’t, but 64% of your career, when you aren’t a HHOF isn’t enough. Teemu played 67% of his career for the Ducks and is a HHOF.

Teemu has 988 points as a duck, Nash had 577…

I’m sure There are plenty of jerseys retired that are worse than this.

Reactions: LJ7201

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I’m sure There are plenty of jerseys retired that are worse than this.
I mean the Kraken retired 32 for their fans and what have their fans done except exist for a couple of months.

But seriously, people can debate all day if players like Adam Foote, Mike Vernon, Danny Gare or Jere Lehtinen deserved to have their numbers retired. Those teams felt their contributions were worthy even if they aren't exactly worthy of the HHOF.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
This team has only been around for 20 years. Why the rush to retire anybody’s number? I would have waited another 10 years at least. I also really don’t understand retiring the number of a current front office employee of the team. It would be the most Jackets thing ever if Nash is suspended the day after his number is retired as the team investigates something like him sending inappropriate texts to an ice girl.

cbjlurker

Nov 30, 2009
Lewis Center, OH
To be fair, it made great drama in a hockey game but Bob did slew foot him when he tried to post up in the crease like Kareem. I saw that with my own 2 eyes at that game.
I was at that game too and remember the same way (believe even lots of cross checks). Bob was totally provoking him, I assumed as part of setting the mood it was his team now!

Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi everyone,

Some interesting thoughts shared in this Thread. I hope you don’t mind me sharing mine.

As a fan of the Game, Rick Nash to me, was the face of the Columbus Blue Jackets and a reason to watch. He was a force of nature for years, a Defenders nightmare, when size with talent was a rarity.

Being an outsider, I cannot understand why anyone would have an issue with #61 being raised. No, he may not be a HHOF’r, but he was a Special Player who just didn’t have the supporting Cast to drag his Team into the Playoffs. I see that as a failure of the Management group rather than Rick Nash.

Congratulations to Rick and your Organization on a solid choice for a 1st Jersey Retirement.

Cheers

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I was at that game too and remember the same way (believe even lots of cross checks). Bob was totally provoking him, I assumed as part of setting the mood it was his team now!
I like when a goalie shows some attitude and confidence so I have no issues with Bob doing that. It was definitely before the big money and pouting off to the early showers at the end. Other than that it was just 2 dudes playing hockey wearing opposite shirts.

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
What is the deal with people and the animosity towards Rick Nash? Could you imagine if he was on this Team? Easily our best player! I think it’s well deserved and a good move by the CBJ!

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What forward is better than Rich Nash right now? Not trying to controversial but give me a comparison?

I can see an argument for people to say Werenski is a better player than Nash, as the original wording of the question was “best player” not “best forward”. But as far as forwards go, yeah, Nash would be the best by a pretty decent margin.

KCbus

Jan 3, 2010
Reynoldsburg, OH
I mean the Kraken retired 32 for their fans and what have their fans done except exist for a couple of months.

But seriously, people can debate all day if players like Adam Foote, Mike Vernon, Danny Gare or Jere Lehtinen deserved to have their numbers retired. Those teams felt their contributions were worthy even if they aren't exactly worthy of the HHOF.
Adam Foote deserves to burn for the longest time in the deepest pits of the worst parts of the hottest precincts of hell.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
97.1 The Fan (sports radio station in Columbus) is playing a promo for the Nash jersey retirement. I heard George Matthews calling one of the plays and it made me smile. I hadn't thought about George in a while. Is he still calling games in the QMJHL?

Reactions: Viqsi and Cowumbus

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
My first time seeing Nash was on a Boy Scout winter survival training in Owen Sound. Our troop was invited to the local Owen Sound Attack game versus the London Knights. If I remember correctly, Nash had 2 goals that night. I'm not that old, but memories like that already make me feel like I'm crossing into old-dom XD

Further: I got in trouble because I said "holy f***" when Nash had his highlight goal against Arizona. Parents did not figure me for a foul mouth (definitely their mistake!)

One of my favorite memories was from the early days of Facebook when Riley Nash Friended me and eventually Rick requested me because of mutual fiends. In the PM he thanked me for being a fan (it was a stock message, but still appreciated) and I was stoked to finally get his autograph on fan night. Thinking Nick Holden or someone like that was paired with him but was still stoked to get him to sign my big autograph jersey.

Last edited:

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Porty's podcast this week is about Nash's jersey retirement and his guest is Ken Hitchcock. I LOVED every minute of it! I could listen to Hitch all day. His love for Columbus, Teaching, and Rick Nash are evident.
Celebrating Rick Nash Week with insights from Ken Hitchcock - Front & Nationwide - Podcasts
I just listened to it and agree with everything you said. Hitch always is excellent in interviews and Q&As and this was no exception. Not only were his remarks about Nash illuminating, his stories about his admiration for Mr. Mac connected emotionally as did his passion for the franchise and the city. Hitch one of my favorite figures in Jackets history, but of course this weekend is rightfully all about Rick Nash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad