Confirmed with Link: CBJ signs Gregory Campbell

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
In the Saad trade conference call

Id take Letestu 100 times out of 100 but if the team wants to make it 4th line more of an energy line and Pkers then so be it. It would be kind of nice to have a pure energy line plus guys who play the PK leaving the offensive guys to play offense as much as possible

Jarmo was asked if trading for Saad, and getting rid of some of the glut of Forwards made the Letestu signing more of a priority, and he replied that this would take the two sides wanting that, and for them to agree.

My take on that, was a backhanded comment that letestu didn't really want to be back

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Jarmo was asked if trading for Saad, and getting rid of some of the glut of Forwards made the Letestu signing more of a priority, and he replied that this would take the two sides wanting that, and for them to agree.

My take on that, was a backhanded comment that letestu didn't really want to be back

I thought that too. Pretty sure Letestu had the wheels in motion and a contract in hand and told Jarmo to take it or leave it. Don't blame Letestu at all for it, but let's not turn this into a sob story about how he wanted to stay here at any cost. It would have cost us at least 3 years and $2 mil/per to keep him. I'm fine with how it turned out.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

I think Letestu wanted to be back originally but Jarmo had little to no desire with what he had so Letestu was forgotten about. After the trade he probably went back to Letestu and it didn't go so well

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I've been absent from this thread, hoping I'd find something positive to say about it eventually, but...

We'll never know the numbers from the Letestu talks, but it's very reasonable to think he would have taken 1.8 x 3 from Columbus, if that's what it took to move him to Edmonton.

So Campbell is 300k cheaper (drop in the bucket) and one less year of term. That's not much to get back at the cost of a HUGE downgrade in player, and yes I mean HUGE. Energy is highly overrated and overstated.

Jarmo ****ed this one up.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I've been absent from this thread, hoping I'd find something positive to say about it eventually, but...

We'll never know the numbers from the Letestu talks, but it's very reasonable to think he would have taken 1.8 x 3 from Columbus, if that's what it took to move him to Edmonton.

So Campbell is 300k cheaper (drop in the bucket) and one less year of term. That's not much to get back at the cost of a HUGE downgrade in player, and yes I mean HUGE. Energy is highly overrated and overstated.

We'll never know how the discussions went, like you said, but you seem pretty confident Jarmo screwed up. Hmm..

Letestu is from Alberta. They have lesser taxes. He gets to go play with McD, Drai, Hall, Eberle, Yak. It's absolutely reasonable to think he took a cheaper deal in order to go home and play with a group of young stud forwards. We'll never know exactly how the negotiations went down so you can't exactly say it's all on Jarmo.

Free agency, man. Players ultimately go wherever they want.

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany

Agreed, D Mckenzie all over again. Wash, rinse, repeat....

He's got some bad contracts (Clarkson, Bourque, Boll) that really hold us back IMHO.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I've been absent too but just read through it.

I love Mark Letestu, but the two reasons this makes sense to me are 1- he was under-utilized here and hopefully will get to contribute more in Edmonton.

And 2- the point that's being made that Campbell brings more nasty to a 4th line. Letestu didn't do that. So this team will knock you around with the top lines and knock you silly with the 4th line. I can get behind that for sure.

I also have a secret hope that Calvert-Campbell-Clarkson become a superlative 4th line that we can then call High Street.

I don't really buy that Letestu didn't want to stay here, or that he preferred EDM because of McTaxes or whatnot. I think he would have preferred it in Columbus, FWIW. Not to talk like I've been reading his mail or anything, but his post-signing comments mainly

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
We'll never know how the discussions went, like you said, but you seem pretty confident Jarmo screwed up. Hmm..

Letestu is from Alberta. They have lesser taxes. He gets to go play with McD, Drai, Hall, Eberle, Yak. It's absolutely reasonable to think he took a cheaper deal in order to go home and play with a group of young stud forwards. We'll never know exactly how the negotiations went down so you can't exactly say it's all on Jarmo.

Free agency, man. Players ultimately go wherever they want.

Or they settle for the best offer...kind of like the hot chick (dude) turns you down so...:laugh:

Edit: Trying to keep it modern and not offend anyone-or offend everyone

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Heh. I'm still occasionally thinking to myself "yeah, but we could've had Marcel Goc..." ;)

Arcobello, as you pointed out here, would have been a great addition. Campbell is not very good, should have made this is a 2 way contract at least cause Chaput will bring more to the ice.

letestuHERO.png

gcampbellHERO.png

I am... not impressed. Would have vastly preferred Arcobello - who signed for even less in Toronto.

EDIT: Arcobello:
arcobelloHERO.png

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Damn, tell that to the Derek MacKenzie crowd last year.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This move was consistent with the DMac move last year. It was about term. That being said, signing Campbell for two years essentially winds up being the equivalent of DMac at three years. Campbell brings a different element than both DMac and Letestu which potentially allows for more minutes to the other lines. Maybe trying to get Letestu 14-15 min per night to use his skill set was going to create challenges for the higher level players :dunno:

Grand scheme, I would have liked one year but the experience he brings could outweigh the two year length.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Just looking at Campbell I see a harshness and seriousness in him. Our locker room aside from Dubi seems pretty laid back, could be a welcome addition to the room. Someone the young guys can learn how serious to take the game (Not implying they don't already.)

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Just looking at Campbell I see a harshness and seriousness in him. Our locker room aside from Dubi seems pretty laid back, could be a welcome addition to the room. Someone the young guys can learn how serious to take the game (Not implying they don't already.)
Off the ice, sure, but can you really say Jenner or Hartnell or Bobrovsky seem laid back on the ice? We've got guys who can easily transition between on and off ice attitudes.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
The more I hear from Campbell, him slotted on the fourth line actually sounds better than Letestu. Not only does he work out as cheaper, I think he "fits" better what this team needs in a fourth line center than Mark did. At the the time of the signing, I said that at worst, this was a lateral move all things considered. I've said before that it's possible to see Boll utilized more as a 13th forward as Campbell gives them a similar skill set with arguably better all around game.

If nothing else, the move can sort of remind them of what left the building when the organization let Comeau walk

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Campbell will likely be a better 4th line C.
Letestu was great because he could play up a line or two with injuries. Now maybe we have enough C's playing wing that we may not miss that much but I'm much more comfortable with Letestu playing on the 3rd line for a couple weeks than Campbell.
So I like the move because it cost us a little less money and 1 year less on a contract (for a 4th line roster spot) but if they were equal (contracts) I would still lean towards Letestu.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What I wonder most is the effect it will have on Calverts production. He can score and has a very good shot, I don't think Campbell's playmaking is up to where marks was. Also maybe this just assures us that if there is an injury to a top 9 guy the only players who will play there are skilled guys ie Bjorkstrand Milano Rychel and 4th line duty can be more of boll Bourque and so on.

Anyway yes Arcobello would have been great. I firmly believe though Arcobello should be a middle 6 center and I think he is very very very underrated.

Lastly let's not forget Letestu wasn't the same player he was two seasons ago, there were times where he just looked so slow and hesitant. I'm not saying he isn't who I prefer on our fourth line but he for sure isn't the guy he was when we were in the playoffs

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I am not so sure Campbell is really the problem on the 4th line. I think it is more the problem of who they are putting on the ice with the guy. Torts needs to find a way to stabilize that line, and I have confidence he will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad