Confirmed with Link: CBJ signs Gregory Campbell

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I liked DMAC. I liked Test Tube. I don't like Campbell.

One has 8 points this year, the next has 7 points, the other has 6. They're peas in a pod in the big picture of overall team performance.

In other words, having one over any of the other two wouldn't make any meaningful difference to this year's version (or last year's) of the CBJ. Classic rearrangement of Titanic Deck Chairs thinking that a 4th line scrub moves the meter of a team's performance.

This. I loved DMac and Letestu too, but swap either of them in for Campbell, Boll or Clarkson and I don't think we see a difference in our record this year. I'm much more worried about our supposed first line than I am about the fourth line.

EDIT: and I'll add I'm also more worried about our supposed 2nd and 3rd lines than I am about Campbell and the other fourth-liners.

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Let's see here...he left home for Kalamazoo, MI in 2005. Then he ended up in Wilkes-Barre, PA, then Pittsburgh, PA, and finally Columbus.

And you're suggesting that a full decade later, he was hell-bent on leaving a playoff team to go to a dumpster fire organization because it was near home, despite the fact that he would have no idea whether that team was even interested in him...or what they would offer...all in the name of having Christmas with extended family.

To have ordinary ties of humanity... Like you presented your Christmas gift to me its a different scenario for a player in his 30's with young kids. This Mark Letestu spent the lockout season of 2012 assistant coaching his youth time team in Alberta, the Bonnyville Pontiacs. Something draws the Canadian there.

How does the NHL then enforce their UFA rules? In business worth of millions... has anyone been caught in what would be quite the reward for the 'crime' committed. Or is it like the strict doping rules: evidently works just fine as no one gets caught.

I would think it is quite naive to say that for example Edmonton Oilers couldn't make plans for the next season quite early on while a Stanley Cup play-offs team for which someone might prefer to play for could have still cap worries at the start of free agency hence the situation dragging on.

Either way: Edmonton had the upper hand in their negotiation readiness as well as they apparently didn't have similar centre situation as Columbus had after the Karlsson trade. Since I doubt that Karlsson wasn't especially scouted for prime time. Then it is a question whether you want to have the 22-year-old Swede or the 30-year-old Albertan in your team...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

One has 8 points this year, the next has 7 points, the other has 6. They're peas in a pod in the big picture of overall team performance.

In other words, having one over any of the other two wouldn't make any meaningful difference to this year's version (or last year's) of the CBJ. Classic rearrangement of Titanic Deck Chairs thinking that a 4th line scrub moves the meter of a team's performance.
I don't think the difference is dramatic, but subtle and small improvements are still improvements. :dunno:

Still would've preferred Marcel Goc. :)

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Two are good at faceoffs. One is not.

One can definitely play up in the lineup and on the power play. One...I'm not sure. And one cannot.

One takes almost no penalties, one takes a moderate amount, and the other takes a lot of incredibly dumb ones.

They all are solid on the PK.

I'm surprised your "go to" here that they are essentially interchangeable is the number of points. We know that playing 4th line C is not really about the points.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
With RFAs I think it is totally different situation than for example with 30-year-old UFA guys and everyone else who know that is their chance to sign big contract and are free to do so.

Sure there might be professionalism-touching unofficial rules in the UFA game to leave the enquiries outside the competitive season of each team but to leave it all to be worked during a very brief negotiation period...

I didn't mean you should approach the UFA in question through radio shows but millions are being paid in this business that is very human to human, like it or not. If greed and desire for more in every aspect of the game doesn't exist in the world of agents and sports... why is Johansen demanding for 9 million dollars and why do not these NHL people make civil laws as well?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With RFAs I think it is totally different situation than for example with 30-year-old UFA guys and everyone else who know that is their chance to sign big contract and are free to do so.

Sure there might be professionalism-touching unofficial rules in the UFA game to leave the enquiries outside the competitive season of each team but to leave it all to be worked during a very brief negotiation period...

I didn't mean you should approach the UFA in question through radio shows but millions are being paid in this business that is very human to human, like it or not. If greed and desire for more in every aspect of the game doesn't exist in the world of agents and sports... why is Johansen demanding for 9 million dollars and why do not these NHL people make civil laws as well?
The Sedins were UFAs at the time of that incident.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Two are good at faceoffs. One is not.

One can definitely play up in the lineup and on the power play. One...I'm not sure. And one cannot.

One takes almost no penalties, one takes a moderate amount, and the other takes a lot of incredibly dumb ones.

They all are solid on the PK.

I'm surprised your "go to" here that they are essentially interchangeable is the number of points. We know that playing 4th line C is not really about the points.

Well, use other measures then. Campbell is -2. Karlsson is -14. Letestu was -9 last year. MacKenzie was a team second worst -17 last year.

Campbell's FO% going backward from last season....53/48/47/51. He's a 50/50 guy. Like almost everyone else is. Faceoff % is an overblown stat anyway.

The point is that the troubles of the team can't be reasonably linked to Campbell. 4th liners don't drive the engine.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well, use other measures then. Campbell is -2. Karlsson is -14. Letestu was -9 last year. MacKenzie was a team second worst -19 last year.

The point is that the troubles of the team can't be reasonably linked to Campbell. 4th liners don't drive the engine.
I think of him as less of a cause and more of a symptom.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Well, use other measures then. Campbell is -2. Karlsson is -14. Letestu was -9 last year. MacKenzie was a team second worst -17 last year.

Campbell's FO% going backward from last season....53/48/47/51. He's a 50/50 guy. Like almost everyone else is. Faceoff % is an overblown stat anyway.

1) Not sure what you're trying to say here. +/- is not a great individual stat

2) He's at 44% and on longer taking faceoffs. That's how bad he is at it. He was touted for his FO ability by the front office this summer.

3) No, of course not. I never said that. Funny though, what was strength of '13-'14 playoff team? They could actually trust the 4th line for 10+ mins a night? That 4th line could score a few goals and play well defensively? Hmmm. Being 12+ deep up front IS important, especially if you have no superstars on your top 3 lines.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
1) Not sure what you're trying to say here. +/- is not a great individual stat

2) He's at 44% and on longer taking faceoffs. That's how bad he is at it. He was touted for his FO ability by the front office this summer.

3) No, of course not. I never said that. Funny though, what was strength of '13-'14 playoff team? They could actually trust the 4th line for 10+ mins a night? That 4th line could score a few goals and play well defensively? Hmmm. Being 12+ deep up front IS important, especially if you have no superstars on your top 3 lines.

I wasn't pleased with letting DMac or Letestu go. I just don't think that it's that big of a deal.

DMac was dreadful with Florida last year-at least from a statistical perspective. Letestu-statwise anyway-isn't doing much for Edmonton this year.

I agree that our 4th line was better with both of them than Campbell. I just don't think that it's that big of a deal.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus

Fair enough, but all things being considered, I'd still take any of the other 2 because while the 4th line shouldn't be driving the car, I still think the other 2 made us a better team.

Another example, Letestu has 0 PIM, DMacK has 13 and Campbell has 53 PIM's. I don't think this team is good enough to overcome being on the PK so much. While Campbell may not be that much different offensively, his negative impact is far greater IMO. That's why I miss the other guys. Its also frustrating that we had those guys and ended up with Campbell, I just don't see it as any kind of addition.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Campbell has improved his game of late (leaving aside the turnover, which I'll assume is a one-off). The penalties though are killing us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad