Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Sam Gagner: 1 year, $650,000

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Which Gagner are we going to get? Motivated? Gritty? with a bit of a chip on the shoulder.. i will take that every time.

Confirmed.. we only waited a decade but Columbus finally gets Gagner..

Only 26 years old, right handed Centre. good job Jarmo

Last edited:

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I like it. Gagner is still young and has a lot of haters to prove wrong. He's always had the tools.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
There was some talk about contracts and the limit and whatnot. Did we ever get clarity on that?

CBJ are at 51 signed contracts, but 18 and 19 year olds who go back to juniors don't count towards the limit of 50. There are a handful of likely players headed back to juniors in the 51 contracts, so it's not likely to be an issue even if everything stays the same from now to camp.

EDIT: By my estimate, it is likely that Sherwood, Carlsson and Kolesar will have their contracts slide another year and won't count towards the 50 limit. That would put CBJ at 48 contracts as of right now. If Dubois gets sent back, then that would be 47.

Last edited:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Seems like a good deal. I assume it is a 1-way - otherwise it would truly be a steal. Pretty nice insurance policy to have with little risk (other than 650 K of McConnell's money).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
CBJ are at 51 signed contracts, but 18 and 19 year olds who go back to juniors don't count towards the limit of 50. There are a handful of likely players headed back to juniors in the 51 contracts, so it's not likely to be an issue even if everything stays the same from now to camp.

EDIT: By my estimate, it is likely that Sherwood, Carlsson and Kolesar will have their contracts slide another year and won't count towards the 50 limit. That would put CBJ at 48 contracts as of right now. If Dubois gets sent back, then that would be 47.

Thanks for the info.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
How can you complain with that low salary?

Only complaint is committing a roster spot to another veteran.

Big Picture complaint is we now know that Dubi is indeed the #1C and Wenny is #2 and Jenner slides to wing. If we weren't planning on moving Jenner than we did have room for #3OA to play C (likely on 3rd or 4th line depending on how Wild Bill did).

For me I'm ok with the deal. Shows that #3OA isn't ready for the NHL and will go back to get another year under his belt. Shows our obvious lack of talent at C, which will be there until #3OA is ready.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Big Picture complaint is we now know that Dubi is indeed the #1C and Wenny is #2 and Jenner slides to wing. If we weren't planning on moving Jenner than we did have room for #3OA to play C (likely on 3rd or 4th line depending on how Wild Bill did).

I disagree. I think it only shows that they know he might not be ready, not that they already know he's not. They're not banking on a kid to jump into the lineup next year. As everyone has been saying, this is a just-in-case sort of move. I agree with that general consensus.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Only complaint is committing a roster spot to another veteran.

No, Wennberg is #1C with Saad and Bjorkstrand.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
No, Wennberg is #1C with Saad and Bjorkstrand.

Not for me. At least not yet. When he can win draws at a rate better then his most recent 42-43%, then he can be considered for that role. And no, that doesn't mean 44-45%

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Excellent move. Low risk high reward.

Gagner is the type of insurance we need in the lineup. Plus maybe Gagner can prove himself.

Even if he totally pans and gets waived, it'll be nothing lost. Only risk is if we move a contract. Don't trade Hartnell and expect Gagner to replace him or something similar.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Interesting quote in Porty's Puckrakers column on the Gagner signing:

"We don't have a right-handed shot at center," Kekalainen said. "We don't have a right-handed shot who can play on the half-wall (on the power play) other than Oliver Bjorkstrand, and he's just coming into the league.

While we were all expecting it, this quote just further indicates that Jarmo is fully expecting Bjorkstrand to make the team.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
This could turn out to be one of the best, if not the best, signing of the offseason by any team. 650K?! That is a great cap hit for a player who could have a turnaround season. In his 8 seasons in the NHL, Gagner has scored 40+ points in 6 of them. I would be ecstatic with him if he puts up 10-15-25. I expect much better production from our bottom-6 this year.

If Dubois isn't ready, this is a great insurance policy as Gagner serves as a bottom-6 C placeholder.

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Karlsson-Foligno
Calvert-Gagner-Anderson

And here is how I see the lineup shaking out if Dubois makes the roster...

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Dubois-Foligno
Calvert-Karlsson-Gagner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad