Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Fredric St-Denis

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
if you go to HockeyDB and look at our history of defensemen we have not signed many free agent guys like Freddie St-Denis as two way puck moving defensemen. Hedja was a one way contract.. Walzer was traded for. Delmore? WhoTFIT? I like the way Jarmo is adding depth to all phases of the organization.

Walser was not traded for. He was signed as a UFA on September 17 2001, re-signed on August 27 2002, re-signed on July 18 2003, and then traded to and back from Carolina after the lockout.

Who is Andy Delmore? He's a defenseman who scored 34 goals in two seasons with Nashville (2001-02 and 2002-03), which made him the leading goal scorer on the team across those two years despite missing 20 games.

Anyway...Pascal Pelletier and Mathieu Roy were signed in 2009, both of whom put up huge offensive numbers at the lower levels. But again, there was still all of those offensive defensemen who were in the same boat already, so there was no need to keep adding to that stable when there was such a shortage of defensive and physical defensemen in the system.

I wasn't saying we didn't have any defense/ though that point could probably be argued effectively - I just said we hadn't been able to scarf up very many quality defenders for free. That is what has set Jarmo apart in my mind, he is not missing any opportunities to make our organization better. O'Neill, St-Denis and Milart all in one free agency period. All puck movers, and Milart can play rough when needed.

We have absolutely no idea if these are quality players or not. I'm sure at some point, David Liffiton and Jonathan Sigalet and Trevor Frischmon all looked like good under-the-radar pickups. Of course, I think the reaction to those was "Ooh, better plan the parade!" each time such a player was added.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
That is a quality post right tharr...

I stand corrected.. scurries off to figure out who the heck Andy Delmore is.:sarcasm:

Delmore scored 72 points for the Crunch in 05-06.. why didn't you tell me it was that Andy Delmore. That guy played for a lot years.

Wasn't Walzer a buyout for us? still played in Europe last year

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not sure how we rank vs other NHL clubs but over the past decade we haven't picked up many d men when candidly we needed all the help we could get.

And the reason why you're getting all these various names that you don't always recognize is because this conclusion is, plain and simply put, flat out wrong.

We've had tons of signings just like this in all areas of minor-league need. Singling this out in particular as a "woohoo, our new GM rules and the old guys suck" example is rather absurd.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Rather absurd??

Call me a dumb ass if my idea is stupid, but spare me the condescending "Your idea is rather absurd"

I stand by the fact that we have not built the depth of the blue line in our organization. In Nikitin, Murray and Prout, half our NHL defenders will have combined NHL experience of less than two years. That's not really ideal. Even this dumb ass can figure that out.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Call me a dumb ass if my idea is stupid, but spare me the condescending "Your idea is rather absurd"

I stand by the fact that we have not built the depth of the blue line in our organization. In Nikitin, Murray and Prout, half our NHL defenders will have combined NHL experience of less than two years. That's not really ideal. Even this dumb ass can figure that out.

"Your idea is rather absurd" is more condescending to you than "you're a dumb ass"? Interesting (said without a hint of condescension)!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I realize there's not much to say about FSD (that's the initials of the player about who this thread is supposed to be), but let's at least attempt to discuss said player in this thread. I believe we've taken the OT/past regime stuff on about as far as it can go. (And yes, that means don't post about it in here any more.)

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I realize there's not much to say about FSD (that's the initials of the player about who this thread is supposed to be), but let's at least attempt to discuss said player in this thread. I believe we've taken the OT/past regime stuff on about as far as it can go. (And yes, that means don't post about it in here any more.)
Aww, so I don't get to call people dumbasses? ;)

I just figure he's an AHL depth signing, like so many we've made before. Like when we picked up Lebda and reacquired Johnson two years back. Sort of a "if he's in the lineup, that probably means something's gone wrong" setup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad