Confirmed with Link: CBJ Sign Fredric St-Denis

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Rob Mixer ‏@RobMixer 3m
#CBJ have also added free agent defenseman Frederic St. Denis on a two-way deal, formerly of the Hamilton Bulldogs (MTL).

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
good to hear...i fully believe in Murray starting in springy so anyone that can play up here is welcomed

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
He's a depth signing, let's not read too much into this ... my gut says it's just to allow some of the guys in Springfield to further develop their game in more sheltered minutes.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Really?

Pointed towards DSL's comment about many examples of potential NHL quality dmen signed to two way contracts: I think you may have thinking about forwards, but puck moving defenders are pretty frickin scarce in our system:

I can think of Hainsey claimed off waivers who also came from the Hamilton Bulldogs and was also a puck moving defenseman, and Holden that was a defenseman but he and Ruth were acquired via trade.

Drafted Russell, Goloubef, Savard, Prout, traded Russell for Nikitin (drafted Methot & Aaron Johnson too but I wouldn't consider either of those guys puck movers)

Am I missing some (FA) puck moving defensemen that were signed to two way contracts?

I know MacLean didn't get any, and if Howson did I'm not remembering.

Sure Dougie signed Richardson, LaChance, Sydor & Foote out of free agency.. but I was really only considering the depth guys that given the chance might just make someone else expendable. Quint? Aucoin? they were one way contracts, Stralman was gotten for a 3rd round pick

Maybe the Cuse or Springfield fans could give me some examples, but I'm not remembering us getting too many Fredrick St-Denis like players. Dude is 27, his time is now. Jarmo also signed Patrick O'Neill & Ilari Milart, so he is rebuilding the whole organization

Last edited:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
He's a depth signing, let's not read too much into this ... my gut says it's just to allow some of the guys in Springfield to further develop their game in more sheltered minutes.

... and get them used to having the burden of expectations (of winning).

General Jacket70

Jul 26, 2002
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
Pointed towards DSL's comment about many examples of potential NHL quality dmen signed to two way contracts: I think you may have thinking about forwards, but puck moving defenders are pretty frickin scarce in our system:

I can think of Hainsey claimed off waivers who also came from the Hamilton Bulldogs and was also a puck moving defenseman, and Holden that was a defenseman but he and Ruth were acquired via trade.

Drafted Russell, Goloubef, Savard, Prout, traded Russell for Nikitin (drafted Methot & Aaron Johnson too but I wouldn't consider either of those guys puck movers)

Am I missing some (FA) puck moving defensemen that were signed to two way contracts?

Sure Dougie signed Richardson, LaChance, Sydor & Foote out of free agency.. but I was really only considering the depth guys that given the chance might just make someone else expendable. Quint? Aucoin? they were one way contracts, Stralman was gotten for a 3rd round pick

Maybe the Cuse or Springfield fans could give me some examples, but I'm not remembering us getting too many Fredrick St-Denis like players. Dude is 27, his time is now. Jarmo also signed Patrick O'Neill & a finnish defender that I can't recall the name of, so he is rebuilding the whole organization

I think you're missing François Beauchemin, picked up by the GMDM on waivers from Montreal in 2004 and then the following year sent to Anaheim for . . . .oh I forget . . .eh, it wasn't that notable of a trade anyway. . . .:sarcasm:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Yes, because everyone reads too much into a two-way deal like this.

JK is a busy guy these days.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Maybe the Cuse or Springfield fans could give me some examples, but I'm not remembering us getting too many Fredrick St-Denis like players. Dude is 27, his time is now. Jarmo also signed Patrick O'Neill & a finnish defender that I can't recall the name of, so he is rebuilding the whole organization
Howson liked to do this via minor-league trades - for example, guys like Jonathan Sigalet, Mike Ratchuk, and Brendan Bell.

But FAs weren't exactly nonexistent. Examples: Nick Holden, Nate Guenin, Matthieu Roy.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
Like I said in another post, he is stocking Springfield with serviceable guys that can fill the roll in Columbus of holding down the fort when they are needed due to injuries.

Good idea in my book.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
General is right Francois Beauchemin, ding ding ding

Howson liked to do this via minor-league trades - for example, guys like Jonathan Sigalet, Mike Ratchuk, and Brendan Bell.

But FAs weren't exactly nonexistent. Examples: Nick Holden, Nate Guenin, Matthieu Roy.

a seasoned puck moving defenseman - we gave Frankie a cup of coffee before sending him off not realizing how good he was.

Thanks Viqsi (Holden was an undrafted free agent), Guenin & Roy those guys work too.

So in ten years there have been four: Jarmo signs three puckmoving dmen in one off season. As mentioned in my earlier post, I like this Jarmo guy.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This looks like a good depth signing. Has a lot of experience in the AHL and could be a fill in for injuries. CBJ is still looking for a 7th on the big club too. Between Goloubef, Savard, St. Denis, Milart, Murray and I'm sure I'm missing someone, that's pretty decent options for call ups and a 7/8 on the big club. Keep in mind, Prout only has a partial NHL season under his belt so there could be some regression.

My only concern with the number of two way, experienced guys is that several will have to clear waivers once cut from camp.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
a seasoned puck moving defenseman - we gave Frankie a cup of coffee before sending him off not realizing how good he was.

Thanks Viqsi (Holden was an undrafted free agent), Guenin & Roy those guys work too.

So in ten years there have been four: Jarmo signs three puckmoving dmen in one off season. As mentioned in my earlier post, I like this Jarmo guy.

There's been much more than four. Those are just the names that first came to mind, and those only because they're the ones that managed to be on the NHL roster for brief periods. If you want me to do actual research, I'm quite certain I could find more. :)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

You're forgetting something. When Howson arrived, the entire system was rife with puck-moving defensemen whose ability to cover in their own zone was notably deficient. So his signings of FA defensemen wasn't going to be of offensively-inclined guys, but of defensive ones. His first week in free agency brought Sheldon Brookbank and Jan Hejda into the fold.

With MacLean, the idea was just to get guys who could play into the system. For whatever reason, he gravitated toward offensive defensemen even though the conditions of the game weren't good for it. But to say that there were "four in 10 years" is woefully inaccurate. Hell, does no one remember the five-year callup cycle of Derrick Walser? How about claiming Andy Delmore off waivers? (Also known as "Any Elmore, because there's no D in Andy Delmore".)

This is off the top of my head. If I start researching this to any actual extent, it'll be a much different story.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Do the research..

if you go to HockeyDB and look at our history of defensemen we have not signed many free agent guys like Freddie St-Denis as two way puck moving defensemen. Hedja was a one way contract.. Walzer was traded for. Delmore? WhoTFIT? I like the way Jarmo is adding depth to all phases of the organization.

St-Denis has played for the Habs, he is a pretty talented 27 year old. The two other best examples of signing guys for free were Beauchemin and Hainsey, both signed off waivers from the Habs.

I wasn't saying we didn't have any defense/ though that point could probably be argued effectively - I just said we hadn't been able to scarf up very many quality defenders for free. That is what has set Jarmo apart in my mind, he is not missing any opportunities to make our organization better. O'Neill, St-Denis and Milart all in one free agency period. All puck movers, and Milart can play rough when needed.

In answer to that I get posters bringing up the names of forwards. PS WhoTFIT? is short form for "who the **** is that?"

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
In answer to that I get posters bringing up the names of forwards. PS WhoTFIT? is short form for "who the **** is that?"

Except you didn't specifically qualify your original point. "This is the kind of move..." you said. That's it. Then later you qualified it, and we have no way of knowing you didn't change what you meant after the fact.

"I meant French-Canadian defensemen with a three-part name who used to be in the Montreal organization who were signed on a Sunday" you boneheads! Then you could have added the shakehead smilie for the full effect.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Hainsey is french?

I suppose I could have been more specific.. I am glad Jarmo has signed three dmen to two way contracts out of free agency.

I'm not sure how we rank vs other NHL clubs but over the past decade we haven't picked up many d men when candidly we needed all the help we could get.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad