Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign D Jacob Graves

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why do we keep signing undrafted free agents? It's not a big deal and we obviously need bodies for LE..But man that's quite a few in the Jarmo era.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
he had a good playoffs, but he was/is a 21 year old playing on that absolutely stacked London Knights team..

he doesn't seem like a guy deserving of a contract but I guess we shall see

Yeah that information itself doesn't point to a guy who should have been signed. 21 year old breakout playoffs, just like, who was it, Justin Scott? I think you have to have more than just a playoffs. But I'm sure they had more to go on there.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Yeah that information itself doesn't point to a guy who should have been signed. 21 year old breakout playoffs, just like, who was it, Justin Scott? I think you have to have more than just a playoffs. But I'm sure they had more to go on there.
to be fair to Justin Scott, he scored 30 goals in '14-15 and scored 28 goals + near PPG pace this season in addition to his playoffs

My understanding was the CBJ FO wanted big, mobile defensemen who could make a good first pass. Not guys who would light the world on fire with their offense, but definitely guys who have better offensive tools than Jacob Graves. Even Dalton Prout had more impressive numbers in juniors than this guy.

But, in the end, it isn't a huge deal as long as we don't max out our contract space. Because then it IS an issue that we're using a contract spot on a guy like this.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
My understanding was the CBJ FO wanted big, mobile defensemen who could make a good first pass. Not guys who would light the world on fire with their offense, but definitely guys who have better offensive tools than Jacob Graves. Even Dalton Prout had more impressive numbers in juniors than this guy.

Front office just happened to sign Graves anyways if that was the case...

The hell...you don't know anything of him yet start downplaying a prospect who earned their ELC like anyone else. I believe it takes some ability to be the king of the hill in a good OHL team when it matters, no matter the age.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Front office just happened to sign Graves anyways if that was the case...

The hell...you don't know anything of him yet start downplaying a prospect who earned their ELC like anyone else. I believe it takes some ability to be the king of the hill in a good OHL team when it matters, no matter the age.
but he wasn't the King of Hill in London :laugh:

he was outperformed by Juolevi and Mete

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Mitch Marner tweeted congrats on the signing called Graves, "Gravedigger". So I guess he's got a nice nickname already.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
The signing didn't seem to make a lot of sense to me seeing as how he is 21 years old and only could put up 21 points in the regular season.. But, he did put up 18 points in the playoffs with a +26 as well.

To be honest, I probably would have just given him an AHL level deal rather than an ELC, but oh well.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
"Great signing for #CBJ. High hockey IQ, incredible poise for his age and a true leader. #NHL"

https://twitter.com/rcduthie/status/750731010778624000

That's the tweet originally from Reed Duthie who does commentary for the Hamilton Bulldogs. Sounds like characteristics CBJ scouts have been looking for.
The Jackets do seem to love guys who fit that description. Now, someone less given to paralipsis than I might suggest that perhaps they should focus less on "poise," "leadership," and "hockey IQ" and perhaps pay more attention to "being good at hockey," but as an apostle of apophasis I will do no such thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad