Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign D Ilari Melart to 1 yr ELC

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
A great character, who loves to play physical, rough hockey, is always willing to defend his teammates and isn't afraid to fight. Melart has very limited puck-handling skills and makes a lot of mistakes under pressure, but he does have a solid, hard shot. His hockey IQ is fairly low and he sometimes tends to be overly aggressive, take stupid roughing penalties and go for the big hit instead of playing the puck.

He's not going to have problem with the physicality, but it's going to take time for him to get used to the smaller ice and higher tempo of the North American game.

This kind of defending isn't going to cut it in the NHL:

wow, who knew "coast to coast" was Finnish for "coast to coast"?

What's the possibility this was a semi-enforcer signing? With Dorse on Broadway, that leaves only Boller. Melart as an enforcer with some skills?

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
wow, who knew "coast to coast" was Finnish for "coast to coast"?

What's the possibility this was a semi-enforcer signing? With Dorse on Broadway, that leaves only Boller. Melart as an enforcer with some skills?
In NHL/AHL level imo nope... at least in the beginning ...he needs lessons from the pros in it. His fight card isn't very impressive. Though I'm pretty sure he will not back down when the call comes...even if it means some "learning beat down" from some real enforcer.

Last edited:

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH

If that's all you were after there is always Dalton Smith or Cody Bass, although thier skill levels are better than "some".

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
Poor CBJ if Kekäläinen acquisitions are going to be all from FEL

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I doubt he can break to the NHL, but this NA gig can surely improve him as a player, and make him a decent KHLer/ SM-Liiga top defender in the future. But we'll see what happens. Hopefully he'll improve as a player, and maybe get a game or two in the NHL.

FinRuutu

Red Wins
Feb 7, 2010
Helsinki
Way too much negativity towards Melart.

He isn't liked around the league and gets ripped too easily, also his reputation as pure enforcer and a stone hand hazard D-man is from two years ago. He has made huge leaps in the past two years and has become a decent hockey player, people let their hatred towards him blind them and they refuse to acknowledge the development hes made. Glad that Keklu signed him, even if its the Blue Jackets. :)

You're getting big, hard playing guy who makes less and less mistakes every year defensively and always stands up for his teammates. Much respected among his teammates in Finland, fan favorite among teams fans but hated among fans of the other teams.

I wish him best of luck and I hope he can step up his game another notch again to prove the haters wrong.

Moch Daear

Jan 9, 2011
Hmm. Reading through the posts is literally ALL I know about this guy, but it seems to me that he's AHL bound. He may say its NHL or Europe, but if he gets into the AHL and develops like a lot of our DMen have been developing over the last few years, he could become a strong enough player to crack the seven the following year I imagine. He's 24, not 34, and if he is willing to be patient and work hard (seemingly like a stereotypical Finn/Swede/Norgy) I would think somebody would give him a chance. Seems like a depth signing with an eye toward progression over the next season+

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
He won't play a single game in NHL, if he isn't willing to play in AHL first. There is no chance he starts his season in Columbus. One or two years in AHL and maybe then he could play in NHL if he develops as fast as he has done in past couple of years.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He won't play a single game in NHL, if he isn't willing to play in AHL first. There is no chance he starts his season in Columbus. One or two years in AHL and maybe then he could play in NHL if he develops as fast as he has done in past couple of years.

If he continues to develop at the pace he's done last two years he'll be running with the ****ing Norris come 2015. The guy has taken some giant leaps.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010

No one is expecting that he goes straight to NHL. But he has been developing very well for two years, North America is great next step, if it wasn't the blue jackets organization then some other. Player like him has much to give and receive from North American hockey, and if he can keep the developing on, he has good possibility to play NHL in blue jackets in coming years.

Last edited:

wloff

May 25, 2013
So much unfounded hate by some Finns here.

Melart has always been developing steadily, even though it's only the last year or so that he actually proved himself as a top D-man in the Finnish league. He's a big, physical no-nonsense D-man who's hated by his opponents but absolutely loved by the fans of his own team.

I think Melart is a good low-risk signing that can pay off really nicely. His play should suit NA well and he's got the right attitude to keep working hard and prove he can do it. Sure, it's possible he'll never make it, but it won't be for lack of effort, and I'd say it's more likely that he'll do well than not.

Hell, first you guys get Keklu, then you have your fairytale playoff run and now you snatch Melart... at this rate I'll have no choice but to become a proper CBJ fan :D

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
All Jarmo was quoted in the Dispatch as saying is: "He'll come to camp with a chance to win a spot on our team. "

It's all speculation at this point whether or not Melart will or won't report to the AHL.

My hope is that Jarmo has enough pull that Melart will trust that he can develop in Springfield. However, if Melart struggles (say like Anton Blomqvist and Brad Larsen is more focused on winning than developing players for the Jackets, then maybe he heads back to Finland or the KHL). Melart isn't going to come to NA to play in the ECHL, and there should be a solid group of defensemen for Springfield next season. But there is a lack of big, tough, stay at home defensemen.

Last edited:

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Different speliing and all, but Keklu reminds me of this long forgotten trio.
Kukla Fran and Ollie.
kukla_fran_ollie.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kukla,_Fran_and_Ollie

wloff

May 25, 2013
Yeah, just a Finnish way of shortening the name... Kind of like you guys might say 'Kekler' or 'Keklie' or something I suppose. It doesn't mean anything, just his name is too long for even us to say in full all the time :D

Dropkick Murphy

Jul 9, 2011
In the bubble
Melart was better in FEL than most of ex-NHL bottom-pair stay-at-home d-men have been in recent history. Still no guarantee but at least it says that not impossible for him to make it in NHL-squad. But more probable is AHL for season or two and back to Europe.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Yeah, just a Finnish way of shortening the name... Kind of like you guys might say 'Kekler' or 'Keklie' or something I suppose. It doesn't mean anything, just his name is too long for even us to say in full all the time :D

I like that - Keklu - I'll try to remember to use it. The pic of Kukla, Fran, and Ollie will help!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad