Confirmed with Link: CBJ sign Bittner to 3 yr ELC

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
#MarchWithUS ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 28s29 seconds ago
#CBJ have signed Paul Bittner (@Bittner_7) to a three-year, entry level contract.

somewhat shocked we did this already before seeing him play some w/o Petan and Bjork on the team to see how he responds...

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
somewhat shocked we did this already before seeing him play some w/o Petan and Bjork on the team to see how he responds...

Well they let the situation drag all the way to this point without ever trading Bittner for defensive help...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
#MarchWithUS ‏@BlueJacketsNHL 28s29 seconds ago
#CBJ have signed Paul Bittner (@Bittner_7) to a three-year, entry level contract.

I have never understood this line of thinking. I think he will be playing with players as good or better than those guys in the NHL if he makes it that far. So, who he played with in juniors doesn't matter. All he has proven is he is good when playing with good players. So, if he keeps playing with good players, he should continue to be good. What sets players apart is when they make other players good. We don't know if he can do that yet, but he doesn't really have to either.

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
"Dream come true", Bittner said after signing contract with us. More than 1.0 ppg in WHL, i hope i will see him play at WJC. Good luck to him!

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
RD...kinda my point, we know he's good with good players can he still be good w/o them.

DSL...welll, yeah, that is what they're doing. ..sure, I just didn't understand the rush

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
dl-bittner.jpg

"Bittner's dedication, conviction have him on NHL path" from the Bluejackets.com

I thought this was bit odd choice of words for a headline, especially with Bittner in the 'Blackhawks' jersey. What next? Go after Patrick Bither, who I guess is still UFA?

silver89

Nov 25, 2013
Sweden
dl-bittner.jpg

"Bittner's dedication, conviction have him on NHL path" from the Bluejackets.com

I thought this was bit odd choice of words for a headline, especially with Bittner in the 'Blackhawks' jersey. What next? Go after Patrick Bither, who I guess is still UFA?

Technically it's a Winterhawk jersey but I couldn't care less.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Well that was quick. I expect to see him on the CBJ sooner rather than later. This guy feels like a Jenner/Dano kind of path to me.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I guess they really like his character and leadership, kind of like Boone Jenner.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=70531

decent little blurb...the WOWY numbers are interesting, but a small sample size...but still points to my "surprised they didn't wait a bit longer" thought...

Who the hell cares its an ELC for a kid we won't see for 2 years minimum. If he's a product of good players (which I don't think so) we have good players here he can play with. I don't see the issue at all.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Who the hell cares its an ELC for a kid we won't see for 2 years minimum. If he's a product of good players (which I don't think so) we have good players here he can play with. I don't see the issue at all.

please tell me what opinions to have...since no one is allowed to have them on a discussion board...I'll defer to whatever you think from now on

the point is, we're near the contract limit...we didn't have to be in a hurry and sign him right away...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
please tell me what opinions to have...since no one is allowed to have them on a discussion board...I'll defer to whatever you think from now on

the point is, we're near the contract limit...we didn't have to be in a hurry and sign him right away...

You seem to think just because someone has a differing opinion than you do means I'm telling you that you need to think like I do. I disagree with your opinion, I stated why. Never did I say you were wrong, I said who the hell cares. This 'discussion board' is supposed to have differing opinions. Jesus.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I'm not sold on Bittner yet. That being said I don't think the contract is a bad thing, he still knows he has to prove himself if he wants to have a career. There's no doubt Petan and Bjorkstrand helped with those numbers. However that doesn't mean he won't be able to reproduce those numbers this season, but he's going to have to be one of the main cogs on the offense.

I'm really excited to go see him play this season.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
You seem to think just because someone has a differing opinion than you do means I'm telling you that you need to think like I do. I disagree with your opinion, I stated why. Never did I say you were wrong, I said who the hell cares. This 'discussion board' is supposed to have differing opinions. Jesus.

you said "who the hell cares" ...well, I apparently do or else I wouldn't have mentioned it...

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
you said "who the hell cares" ...well, I apparently do or else I wouldn't have mentioned it...

If I am correct, the contract limit thing isn't even an issue because his contract won't even count on the limit until he makes the NHL team OR he becomes AHL eligible. If I'm wrong, then you have a valid concern I guess. But I still think its a concern over nothing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If I am correct, the contract limit thing isn't even an issue because his contract won't even count on the limit until he makes the NHL team OR he becomes AHL eligible. If I'm wrong, then you have a valid concern I guess. But I still think its a concern over nothing.

You're right as long as he plays in juniors this year which because he is only 18 now I think he has to. Also I believe for purposes of his ELC he can slide 2 years because he doesn't turn 19 until November. So I don't think the rush thing is a big concern at this point.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I think we should draft at least one Winterhawk each year! What a pipeline of talent! Isn't Seth Jones' brother there now?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
If Bittner makes Jenner like improvements with his skating he'll be a good one. He has the shot and size

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I can't get behind the "I don't get the signing" comments ... you are all entitled to your opinion, but as someone who's watched Bittner play for three years, I'll try to sway you ;). I loved the pick and I love that the team has signed him to an ELC this early on. Perhaps it will sway many of the Mike Reilly "Sky is Falling" discussions away from Paul Bittner for the next year and a half ...

Fact is, Bittner is a big kid that is a very good skater, has a great shot, and plays hard in all three zones. He can score in a variety of ways and was as big a part of the top line in Portland as Bjorkstrand and Petan were ... he's just a year younger than both. At the very least, his size, work ethic, and all-around abilities are going to allow him to be a third line player in the NHL.

I have no issue with the signing -- let's not forget that Bittner is already heading into his 19 year old season this year. This would be no different than drafting a kid at 18 and sending him back to junior for a year before signing him. Bittner has three years of CHL hockey under his belt. By now, anyone who gets paid to be a scout should know everything there is to know about him ... you don't need to see him play without star players for that. If his numbers drop without Petan and Bjorkstrand, that's fine ... it doesn't change the fact that the kid can play hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad