Confirmed with Link: CBJ re-sign Roslovic, 2 years 4 million per season

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Domi > Wennberg > Roslovic

About sums it up. Should have (at least attempted) kept Domi for multiple reasons. Fits the team better than Voracek and Nyquist now and moving forward. Thought he complimented many of our current younger guys well. Better passer and more “game breaking” potential than many gave him credit for. Decent scoring touch and actually played with an edge and some heart most of the time. Plenty of Domi haters around these parts last couple years, didn’t like it.

10 million tied up in Roslovic/ Merzlikins is mind blowing. The roles GIVEN to these guys is a huge reason the CBJ have been what they’ve been recently.
I'd have put Wennberg over both of them. He was at least defensively consistent and so consistently helpful in that fashion, even if he was seemingly terrified of offense. Domi was fun but I'm not sure if he really contributed to wins as much as we would have hoped. I have no doubts about that with Wennberg.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not really sure where to start with this...

How bad does his game have to be for people to realize he's not really helping?

Who cares how many points he has if he's a turnover machine and isn't helping the team win? Not to mention 6 points isn't exactly high considering the ice time and players he's playing with.

He's easily a net loss on positives vs negatives at this point. That doesn't make him "worth his contract"

"At this point" this season, I'll agree. If he was like this his whole career he'd never get a contract. He's had stretches every year where he is one of the better players on the team. That's why he is so frustrating.

Jack is what he is at this point: a middle six scoring winger. He's talented, but he's not good. His top-line tools (skating, shot, hands) will keep him in the NHL and allow him to put up points, but he's not actually good at the hockey part of hockey.

I'd love to see him on the wing. I'm not sure how that would go, but it would be mentally easier for him.

Domi's a good comp, but at least Domi can play a physical game sometimes. I've seen Jack finish two checks this season, which is two more than he finished last year. Domi's also a pretty good passer.

Domi could go a month where he's terrified of contact and then attack an unsuspecting player after the whistle. He's not tougher than Roslovic in any practical hockey aspect.

Funny, though, how the general sentiment of these boards seems to be that Boqvist is a lost cause and Roslovic has a higher ceiling. As you said, Jack is 26. Boqvist is 22 and defensemen take way longer to develop.

If you're talking about ceiling then athleticism and basic skills largely determine ceiling. Roslovic has that and Boqvist doesn't. Really neither player has much of a ceiling though.

It goes beyond all of the blown coverages. Tons of lazy/selfish plays all over the ice, flashy no-look/drop passes to no one, doesn't see the ice well at all, etc.

I agree, which is why a move to wing is overdue. KJ has the brain and should be at center.

Domi > Wennberg > Roslovic

About sums it up. Should have (at least attempted) kept Domi for multiple reasons. Fits the team better than Voracek and Nyquist now and moving forward. Thought he complimented many of our current younger guys well. Better passer and more “game breaking” potential than many gave him credit for. Decent scoring touch and actually played with an edge and some heart most of the time. Plenty of Domi haters around these parts last couple years, didn’t like it.

10 million tied up in Roslovic/ Merzlikins is mind blowing. The roles GIVEN to these guys is a huge reason the CBJ have been what they’ve been recently.

Domi is one of the most inconsistent, often laziest and softest players we've had in recent years. Getting fired up 8 games a year doesn't make you a gritty player.

I’m not going to go through and respond to everyone picking apart my comment, but I’ll just say I’m not calling Roslovic a good defensive player. He, like a lot of our forwards, are not good defensively. He blows coverages when hemmed into the zone for lengths of time. But I do think he is capable of playing defense. I’ve seen it. His biggest issue is when he makes puck decisions in his own zone. He either tries to be mcdavid and carry it out himself, or he gets cute with it and tries to make passes into space when our guys aren’t ready for it.

I think he gets a bit more blame than he should. But that’s not to say he’s a good defensive player. But I do think he brings a style of game we need on this team. Would he be better suited for the wing? Yeah, I think I can buy that. But he’s had such an improvement in the faceoff circle this year it’s hard to pull him out of it. I know there is more to playing center than faceoffs, but winning draws isn’t a bad thing to have. We’re in a weird spot with him. I just think people are a bit over critical on him, but not exactly wrong either.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he was traded but I think people here would be surprised on what our return would be (in a good way)

Do we really need him now that we have so many other forwards with playmaking ability? I think we're shorter on reliability, at least at center.

I think Wennberg is clearly the best player among those three, just wasn't a good fit at all with what Torts wanted to do. Went to a more open system and found his game.

He did okay in Florida but funny enough Wennberg is playing in a more Torts style system this year and playing really well. Still won't shoot the puck but his line is usually pushing play into the offensive end and dominating chances.

He had a couple years for us after the concussion where he was too contact averse. That was the issue I think, nothing to do with Torts' system. His battle level is very good right now.

Buying him out was no-doubt the right financial move, but I do wonder how much better this team would look with him at 1C instead of Boone/Roslovic. Still not great, mind you, but he's got skill and a good hockey IQ and can win face-offs.

In retrospect I think the Wennberg buyout was a mistake. He'd be one of our top 3 centers at every point in the last few years, maybe even best center.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad