Prospect Info: CBJ Prospect Thread XI

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
What would be the reason for Brindley wanting another year in the NCAA? Finish school? Try to win the championship? My guess is he's simply keeping his options open. He's going to look silly if he says that he wants to go pro and then spends another year at Michigan.

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Mateychuk now has 14 pts in 6 playoff games.
Loved this draft pick. I truly hope he can translate his game to the NHL. It would seem tailored for the NHL but sometimes things just don't go as planned. I think he's going to be very good and play a solid 200 ft game with an emphasis on moving the puck quickly, efficiently and effectively. That woudl be a huge boom to the back end.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
]

I didn’t put any stock into the quoted tweet but the woman who responded covers the Cleveland monsters so maybe she’s confirming it?

Reactions: CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

With 19 points in 9 games, Mateychuk is the leading scorer of WHL playoffs after two rounds. I haven't had time to watch much hockey lately but I'll try to catch as many games of the upcoming Blades series as I can. Hoping to read reports from our fellow CHL followers as well.

Reactions: Xoggz22 and CBJx614

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Warriors take game 1 in OT. Mateychuk was great at both ends of the ice. Collected two assists, looked very good in transition plays tonight, set up quite a lot of scoring chances considering how much less MJ seemed to have possession and sustained pressure in the ozone compared to Saskatoon. They probably need to continue to be opportunistic with their big guns up front since there appears to be less depth on the team overall. Yager had one shot on goal and it was the OT winner. Might be a long series.

Reactions: majormajor

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Pinelli's pick was the point in last year's draft where I felt they really lost me. Their 3rd forward in a row that was 5'9. And not a lot of production for that size and no special qualities like Brindley has.
Agree 100 percent. Though that seems like a pick our advanced stats guys would advocate for when it’s that late. Most guys at that point are long shots, and if you can make it at 5’9” with no real elite skills that stand out, maybe you’re a dang good overall player like Marchand (to a much lesser extent Danforth).
However at that point you should be looking for depth. Someone that could maybe be a bottom 6 guy one day, and for that role big guys are much more impactful in general.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Agree 100 percent. Though that seems like a pick our advanced stats guys would advocate for when it’s that late. Most guys at that point are long shots, and if you can make it at 5’9” with no real elite skills that stand out, maybe you’re a dang good overall player like Marchand (to a much lesser extent Danforth).
However at that point you should be looking for depth. Someone that could maybe be a bottom 6 guy one day, and for that role big guys are much more impactful in general.

The other day we were talking about the big forwards popping in the playoffs.

Adam Lowry was a third rounder, Dakota Joshua a 5th, Rempe a 6th. Sometimes even the big guys you draft for depth end up making a bigger impact than expected.

Reactions: koteka

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The other day we were talking about the big forwards popping in the playoffs.

Adam Lowry was a third rounder, Dakota Joshua a 5th, Rempe a 6th. Sometimes even the big guys you draft for depth end up making a bigger impact than expected.
Yep, added value for sure. Looking at our bigger guys doesn’t instill confidence. Dolzhenkov probably our best chance?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad