Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Oliver Bjorkstrand signs extension (5 years, $5.4M AAV)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
giphy.gif

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
He is a really good player. The deal is somewhat expensive, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t a fair contract for both sides.

Revansky

Mar 17, 2013
Montreal
Great deal. Love Bjorkstrand game, his style really fit the CBJ. Should be a consistent 55-65 pts player with a great two way-game.

Reminds me of the Pacioretty deal in Mtl, which was a great bargain.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
I believe this contract buys 4 UFA years.

Fair deal for both sides. Some risk for the Jackets that he keeps progressing but for anyone that's watched him closely the past couple of years, his compete level has skyrocketed along with his role. And of course he's got that deadly shot.

Nice to see this domino fall so early and fantastic to see him locked into a CBJ uni for years to come. Hopefully a sign of more good things to come in that department.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I think this is a fair deal and am surprised Bjorkstrand went for the extension during the COVID-19 issue (what with the cap remaining stagnant for the foreseeable future).

He's going to improve on his point totals, especially if he receives consistent linemates.

Unfortunately, this might add fuel to the "Jarmo deals differently with 'his guys'" crowd since Bjorkstrand's father played with edit - Torts - in college and they are quite close.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I think this is a fair deal and am surprised Bjorkstrand went for the extension during the COVID-19 issue (what with the cap remaining stagnant for the foreseeable future).

He's going to improve on his point totals, especially if he receives consistent linemates.

Unfortunately, this might add fuel to the "Jarmo deals differently with 'his guys'" crowd since Bjorkstrand's father played with Jarmo in college and they are quite close.

I really don't think that's what it is. I think that certain players are more apt to like the Columbus system and are willing to get paid by said club. I don't think that there's any reasonable people that think that Jarmo wouldn't want to keep Panarin around, for example.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I really don't think that's what it is. I think that certain players are more apt to like the Columbus system and are willing to get paid by said club. I don't think that there's any reasonable people that think that Jarmo wouldn't want to keep Panarin around, for example.
I don't think it's that way either. Jarmo supposedly offered PLD a massive contract and PLD wanted the 2 years. But those people still exist.

Reactions: Viqsi

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I don't think it's that way either. Jarmo supposedly offered PLD a massive contract and PLD wanted the 2 years. But those people still exist.

Every cap-related move that the Jackets made before UFA Day 1 pointed to Jarmo wanting the full 8 years. It's PLD that didn't want it, probably because he doesn't like Torts and he's still somewhat immature in the sense that likes and dislikes, rather than career successes, dictate his desires.

Reactions: Viqsi and Dumais

JacketLife

Aug 2, 2020
Love this deal! Not only is Bjorkstrand going to end up being our most productive forward if he keeps progressing, but he's one of our best two way forwards. Anyone who has watched his game develop probably knows what I mean when I say he grows by leaps and bounds EVERY year. There's zero reason to think that won't continue. The most impressive part of his game is his board battles.
Also, I think it's a super important extension for the morale of CBJ fans right now, and that matters.

Reactions: hn777 and Toe Pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad