Prospect Info: CBJ HF-voted Top 20 Prospects 2017

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Just to put a ribbon on this, here is the final ranking of the voted top 20 for this summer.

Those of you who have your own lists (including Honorable Mentions), beefs with this one or just comments about the CBJ prospect pool in general, this is probably a good place for them.

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Pierre-Luc Dubois|C/LW
#2 |Oliver Bjorkstrand|RW
#3 |Gabriel Carlsson|D
#4 |Vitaly Abramov|RW
#5 |Vladislav Gavrikov|D
#6 |Sonny Milano|LW
#7 |Kevin Stenlund|C
#8 |Alexandre Texier|C
#9 |Elvis Merzlikins|G
#10 |Tyler Motte|C/LW
#11 |Andrew Peeke|D
#12 |Daniil Tarasov|G
#13 |Calvin Thurkauf|C
#14 |Markus Hannikainen|LW
#15 |Kole Sherwood|RW
#16 |Matiss Kivlenieks|G
#17 |Jonathan Davidsson|RW
#18 |Sam Vigneault|C
#19 |Emil Bemstrom|C
#20 |Carson Meyer|RW

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
For context, here are the results of this exercise from the previous two years.

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Zach Werenski|D
#2 |Pierre-Luc Dubois|LW
#3 |Oliver Bjorkstrand|RW
#4 |Joonas Korpisalo|G
#5 |Sonny Milano|LW
#6 |Josh Anderson|RW
#7 |Gabriel Carlsson|D
#8 |Anton Forsberg|G
#9 |Vitaly Abramov|RW
#10 |Paul Bittner|LW
#11 |Keegan Kolesar|RW
#12 |Daniel Zaar|RW
#13 |Dean Kukan|D
#14 |Markus Nutivaara|D
#15 |Vladislav Gavrikov|D
#16 |Elvis Merzlikins|G
#17 |Dillon Heatherington|D
#18 |Andrew Peeke|D
#19 |Veeti Vainio|D
#20 |Markus Hannikainen|LW

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Zachary Werenski|D
#2 |Sonny Milano|LW
#3 |Oliver Bjorkstrand|RW
#4 |Kerby Rychel|LW
#5 |Dillon Heatherington|D
#6(T) |Gabriel Carlsson|D
#6(T) |Anton Forsberg|G
#8 |Michael Paliotta|D
#9 |Paul Bittner|LW
#10 |William Karlsson|C
#11 |Josh Anderson|RW
#12 |Austin Madaisky|D
#13 |Kevin Stenlund|C
#14 |Ryan Collins|D
#15 |TJ Tynan|C
#16(T) |Joonas Korpisalo|G
#16(T) |Daniel Zaar|RW
#18 |Blake Siebenaler|D
#19 |Olivier Leblanc|D
#20 |Elvis Merzlikins|G

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Wooo boy we need some better D prospects, especially with Gavirkov not coming over for two more years at the earliest.

Funny to see Stenlund go from 13 to off the board to 7.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Jackets have 4-5 guys under 25 on defense playing every night.

They're ok with having more goalies and forwards on the list, I think.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Injuries will happen, inevitably. Outside of the top 7-8, there isn't a lot of potential in any of the call-ups, imo.

Are we talking about the organizational depth for call-ups to be ready to fill in in the event of injury, or are we talking about a 'next generation' of young defensemen?

Because I feel like there are 9 d-men who can play in the NHL if needed, but I agree with you that, after Carlsson (and Werenski of course, and absent Gavrikov), there's not much at the 'top.'

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Restocking our defensive depth prospect-wise can be something to think about for the 2018 Entry Draft.

I'm more excited to see us go from 0 to 6 centers in the top 20, even if many of them (Dubois, Thurkauf, Motte) are unlikely to play center.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Wooo boy we need some better D prospects, especially with Gavirkov not coming over for two more years at the earliest.

Funny to see Stenlund go from 13 to off the board to 7.

That was my first observation. Hopefully that trend doesn't continue.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pretty good list. I feel like we don't have a star prospect but it's very good after that.

Are we talking about the organizational depth for call-ups to be ready to fill in in the event of injury, or are we talking about a 'next generation' of young defensemen?

Because I feel like there are 9 d-men who can play in the NHL if needed, but I agree with you that, after Carlsson (and Werenski of course, and absent Gavrikov), there's not much at the 'top.'

This is how I see it. Organizational depth in D men is a strength. Four 2015 drafted D men are nhl quality players. Some of them are no longer prospects which is part of why the D prospect list is short.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Restocking our defensive depth prospect-wise can be something to think about for the 2018 Entry Draft.

I'm more excited to see us go from 0 to 6 centers in the top 20, even if many of them (Dubois, Thurkauf, Motte) are unlikely to play center.

Some of those are not actually centers. Thurkauf is not a center. Motte is not a center. I don't know if they've played it in years.

Stenlund and Vigneault and Dubois are the only ones I'm sure are playing center at their current levels - which would not be a good amount. I don't know about Bemstrom and Texier.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Pretty good list. I feel like we don't have a star prospect but it's very good after that.

This is my feeling as well. The top 6 could all blossom into pretty good NHLers. Maybe there is a gem or two elsewhere. No for certain stars (as much as any prospect can be labelled as such).

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Some of those are not actually centers. Thurkauf is not a center. Motte is not a center. I don't know if they've played it in years.

Stenlund and Vigneault and Dubois are the only ones I'm sure are playing center at their current levels - which would not be a good amount. I don't know about Bemstrom and Texier.

I know Motte and Thurkauf aren't going to play center--I just intimated that. Even with just the few you mention, it's sadly better than last year, and the zero we had. Tynan was the highest center, and he didn't make the top 20. Stenlund, Vigneault, and Texier are the only ones I think are locked in center currently. Time will tell on Bemstrom.

Until I see PLD actually stick at center in any significant way, I'm not sold he's anything but a wing. Hopefully in a year my doubts are assuaged.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

For the record, Thurkauf actually played center. He may not be one long term.

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
General thoughts:

- Only four players who were drafted/signed out of the CHL (Milano and Sherwood played there after being signed) suggests some success in scouting off the beaten track. That makes me a bit more confident in 2017 picks like Texier and Tarasov and even Kale Howarth than I would be otherwise.

- The guys that look like our biggest miss on each of the last two lists were both ranked #12. Hopefully Tarasov breaks that streak.

- The dearth of defensemen is a little worrying at first, but the D corps is very young as it is and Carlsson should be ready to step in from opening night. Whether there'll be space for him is another question, but he should be ready if he's needed. Gavrikov is two years away from coming over, but I don't think anyone doubts his ability. And Jack Johnson's the only defenseman hitting UFA any time in the next few years, so if there's no trades, there's still eight NHL-caliber guys who'll be around for the 2018-19 season. And Peeke also might be ready by then. The deep depth is a bit thin, unless someone like Siebenaler or Collins takes huge strides, but there'll be guys available for cheap to be the 10th or 11th D if 2014-level injuries happen.

- Speaking of defensemen, I think Andrew Peeke is the most slept-on prospect in the system. I know a lot of people got Ryan Collins flashbacks when he was drafted, but he's not Ryan Collins. He's a good skater and a fantastic passer with a good shot. He's exactly the kind of offensive threat that's a perfect fit for the Tortorella "safe is death" system. I am laying down a marker right here and saying he'll be top-five next year unless he gets hurt.

- Stenlund should've been on the list last year. I thought that at the time and I'm even more convinced now. I also didn't think Zaar belonged in the top 20 last year, so mentally I'm replacing him right at #12 with Stenlund, even though I had Stenlund closer to 17 or 18.

- Here's this year's list with the eight new additions removed, compared to where they ranked on last year's list with the seven graduated/traded players removed (unranked players were all assumed to have tied for 14th):

1. Dubois (-)
2. Bjorkstrand (-)
3. Carlsson (+1)
4. Abramov (+1)
5. Gavrikov (+4)
6. Milano (-3)
7. Stenlund (+7)
8. Merzlikins (+2)
9. Peeke (+2)
10. Thurkauf (+4)
11. Hannikainen (+2)
12. Sherwood (+2)

Dropped out: Bittner, Zaar, Kukan, Vainio (all got add votes except Zaar)

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
That is the worst list ever! Those hockey people employed by HF have no idea what they are talking about.

Sad!

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
- The dearth of defensemen is a little worrying at first, but the D corps is very young as it is.....

There have been a couple places that people mention or are concerned about the "lack of D prospects". I guess my take might be slightly different.

Before I make my point, this club chose Rusty Klesa in the first round, then never thought about the blue line again until the John Moore draft. I have always believed that you have to be picking a defenseman in the 1st or second round every year. They are just that crucial.

But to the point that we lack defense prospects, the team just graduated Werenski and Nutivaara last year. All reports are that Gabe Carlsson is ready to graduate from prospect to NHL player. I'm not exactly sure how to draft and develop prospects, graduate a big class, and still have the prospect pool full.

To me, it's just fine that Peeke and Gavrikov are still approximately two years away. If there is not a trade, I'm just fine hanging onto Murray and Harrington. Both those guys are still young and can play this game.

Just come back around and draft some good prospects in June 2018. I'm beginning to believe the 2015 draft will be the watershed moment for this franchise, because of the success of defensemen acquired that day.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
- Speaking of defensemen, I think Andrew Peeke is the most slept-on prospect in the system. I know a lot of people got Ryan Collins flashbacks when he was drafted, but he's not Ryan Collins. He's a good skater and a fantastic passer with a good shot. He's exactly the kind of offensive threat that's a perfect fit for the Tortorella "safe is death" system. I am laying down a marker right here and saying he'll be top-five next year unless he gets hurt.
Totally reasonable to think that Peeke will be considered a top 5 prospect for us. It's a make or break year for Milano, Dubois and Bjorkstrand hopefully won't still be considered prospects, and Peeke is looking like one of the go-to guys on the Notre Dame blueline. I've got him pegged for 25-30 points in his sophomore season.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
With what I've seen of Meyer at Miami, his game screams elite AHL scorer to me, much like Andy Miele. He'd have to be in the top 6 to be effective in the NHL, and I don't know if he's got it- it would be great if he did though and I'm rooting for him.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

Didn't Thurkauf play center at the WJC and some at Kelowna this year? He seems like the Nick Foligno type who can play all 3 F positions.

Zaar and Bittner do not approve of the rankings.

Zaar's contract expired and he went back to Sweden, idk why he was even on the list in the first place.

Bittner has stagnated. I definitely understand an argument to keep him in the top-20, but he's missed some crucial developmental time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I agree Peeke is being slept on. Folks just lump him in with Collins and have no idea what his game is like. I think he's the total package and I can easily see him in next year's top 5.

Random stab at next year's list:

Stenlund
Abramov
Peeke
Sherwood
2018 1st

Gavrikov
Davidsson
Merzlikins
Thurkauf
Texier

Bemstrom
2018 2nd
Kivlinieks
2018 3rd
Milano

2018 4th
Tarasov
Vigneault
Bittner
Meyer

I don't really know what exactly that exercise is, am I predicting something? But I hope to convey where I see most of the potential for growth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad