PTO: [CBJ] F James Neal signs PTO with the Blue Jackets (Released)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
cause him and Johnny looked so dynamic together.

Honestly though routing for Neal, hope it works out.

• Wow
Reactions: 1989

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He had a good year in the AHL last season. Doubt he makes the Jackets but good for him still trying to get back into the big league.

Reactions: G Backup

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
wait what

It's just a PTO. There are veteran requirements for preseason games, so a having a guy like Neal might spare somebody from having to make an extra round trip flight.

In particular, it looks like Pittsburgh/Columbus have a split squad doubleheader to open preseason. I'd wager a donut that Neal would be on the squad that has to travel to Pittsburgh while most of the "A" team will get to stay home.

That's followed up by a back-to-back with the Sabres/Blues. I doubt you'd see many regulars dressed for both of those games.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
I think this is a good depth signing for CBJ.

Guy can still put the puck in the net and is an a-hole on skates.

Add this to the list of solid off-season moves for the jackets.

• Haha
Reactions: GreeningOil

Buckleyy

Aug 26, 2022
Makes me believe maybe something else bigger is happening?
Few rookies and a roster guy (nyquist) for kane maybe possible?
Need someone to replace to bottom 6 + someone to replace nyquist (kane)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He won't make the Jackets roster, they were already 16F deep before the Texier news came. Neal won't beat a guy like Danforth in camp, Lars loves him. And Bemstrom and Foudy would need waivers. Perhaps this is just a favor to give Neal a showcase so he can sign elsewhere.

Edit: It's perhaps more likely that they want Neal as a mentor in Cleveland. I could see him teaching kids like Marchenko and Chinakhov a thing or two (two big-body shooters).

Last edited:
Reactions: Viqsi and CBJx614

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
He signed a PTO, did he not?

Yes, but the rest of your post framed it as though he had signed an actual contract to play in the regular season. For now it’s just a possibility, not a guarantee he’ll earn an NHL contract, as opposed to just playing a few preseason games.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Makes me believe maybe something else bigger is happening?
Few rookies and a roster guy (nyquist) for kane maybe possible?
Need someone to replace to bottom 6 + someone to replace nyquist (kane)

It's just a PTO. Sometimes I wonder if people expect your opening night roster to suit up in every preseason game. I'm pretty sure Johnny Gaudreau doesn't need to play every preseason game.

Columbus/Pittsburgh have a split squad doubleheader to start preseason. There's a CBA requirement where teams have to dress at least 8 "veterans" in every preseason game.

15.4 Exhibition Games.

(c) A Club shall be permitted to dress a minimum of eight (8) veterans for any Exhibition Game. For purposes of this Section 15.4(c), a veteran shall constitute either:

(1) a forward or defenseman who played in thirty (30) NHL Games during the previous season,

(2) a goaltender who either dressed in fifty (50) or more NHL Games or played in thirty (30) or more NHL Games in the previous season,

(3) a first round draft choice from the most recent year's Entry Draft, or

(4) any Player who has played one-hundred (100) or more career NHL Games.

Columbus has to field two rosters on the same day. It seems like a safe bet that Neal would be the "B" squad that gets sent to Pittsburgh.

Here's who counts as a "veteran" for Columbus:

(F-14): Gaudreau, Laine, Voracek, Nyquist, Roslovic, Jenner, Kuraly, Robinson, Danforth, Chinakhov, Sillinger, Bemstrom, Gaunce, Neal

(D-9): Werenski, Gudbranson, Gavrikov, Boqvist, Bean, Peeke, Bayreuther, Jiricek, Mateychuk

(G-2): Merzlikins, Korpisalo

Columbus has two games on 9/25 (PIT, at PIT) followed by games on 9/28 (BUF) and 9/29 (at STL). Maybe it seems trivial to come up with a roster to meet the 8 vet requirement, but I'd imagine they'd be resting most of the regulars for those road games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toe Pick and DaveG

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Yes, but the rest of your post framed it as though he had signed an actual contract to play in the regular season. For now it’s just a possibility, not a guarantee he’ll earn an NHL contract, as opposed to just playing a few preseason games.
I didn’t frame it as anything other than a smart depth move - which if he garners an AHL contact, would be a correct statement.

I mean the title is literally says “signs” right in it.

Not sure why you feel the need to argue semantics. It’s a smart, no risk play by CBJ. Is that better?

Reactions: Gh24 and Toe Pick

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Neal was really disliked on the Flames, can't imagine Gaudreau will be impressed.

At this point Neal is pretty much useless anyway, I don't see the point.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I think this is a good depth signing for CBJ.

Guy can still put the puck in the net and is an a-hole on skates.

Add this to the list of solid off-season moves for the jackets.
He’s an Ahole off his skates apparently too.
He hasn’t signed yet, and likely won’t be signed.
Id consider this as more of a move like Jackets GM doing him a favour or someone with some pull got him a token tryout.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Everyone knows the cure to too many wingers is add more wingers. Must be looking to add some veterans to Cleveland

jonmonohand

Aug 21, 2022
James Neal is one of the worst hockey players I've ever seen.

And his fake ass white smile and entitled attitude make him 20x worse

Guys a total bumpkin!

Reactions: Flatts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad