CBJ Development Camp 2014

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I have no problem with what was said about Reilly. It is there job to give the players the right information for them to develop. Clearly the Blue Jakets think he is ready for pro hockey.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
but with him not signed, and clearly wanting to be in college, you run the risk of pissing him off and him not signing after this season b/c of one dumb public comment that should have been said privately...

just my opinion...

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Great to meet you Derby...well since I realized I knew you another way, great to see you! hahahaha

Sat with Bird...super smart kid, wants to get into the top 6 this year at Brown, feels humbled by this week, coming in as top kid he knew to being just one of the guys with all the higher skilled guys...lots more but CBJ Prospects is doing a write up on it that I'll share when he's done...

beyond Wennberg, Dano, Rychel, Milano, I was highly impressed with Mike Reilly and Dillon Heathrington...I'm not a fan of what Hartsberg said about MR...but it's done so no real reason to dwell...Dillon showed speed and skill I didn't know he had in him as a big guy.

I'm finding myself really wanting to root for Thomas Larkin to progress...6 yrs at prospects camp, hopefully he and Madaisky continue to grow in Springfield.

Loved the tourney today, the kids were having fun and it showed.

Mad there was no Swedish goalie dance after the game

Me, too. Larkin graduated from Colgate, he was drafted right out of HS. He had a nice goal in the 3 on 3 today. He's a big big kid. I hope he has a good season in Springy. It'd be nice to see him break out, I agree. Feels kind of personal, since we had dinner and all. ;)

The fact that we (Fro and me) "knew" each other from a different connection other than FB proves how small a circle being a CBJ fan is!

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
My awards for the best of camp as I saw it

Best overall: Wennberg. As somebody said earlier in the thread he is near or at the top in all the physical categories and mentally (at least during the 3 on 3) he seemed to see the ice the best of any prospect.

Best Hands: Milano. Looks like Patrick Kane and if he can develop a wrist shot and slow down the game he could be as deadly a scorer.

Best Skater: Reilly. I can honestly say I haven't seen anyone who skates as well as Reilly. If was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier he would be one of the most hyped prospects in hockey.

Best Shot: Bjorkstrand. Kid can flat out shoot. Honorable mention to Daniel Zaar.

Best Grinder: Rychel. He isn't going to be the guy who puts it past the goalie from above the circles, but he is going a force to score in close. In my mind he could be a better version of what Umberger was.

Best Big man: Heatherington. Showed a surprising amount of skill and movement for someone as large as he is. Could be a really effective top 4 guy.

Best Goaltender: Forsberg. I don't know much about goalie play, but he seemed to track the puck the best of any of the four. Dansk still seems to have the most physical ability, but the question is if his mind will catch up he may end up being a cory schneider type that takes many, many seasons to ripen.

Overall, this is easily the best dev camp I've seen. I would put money down that all of Wennberg, Milano, Bjorkstrand, Rychel, Reilly, Heatherington will be NHL players in the next 2 years. Regardless Jarmo and Co. are going to have some interesting choices because before to long the guys in these camp will be taking spots away from the likes of Atkinson, Calvert, Anisimov, Savard, etc.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Jeez, there is a lot of incredible young talent in this organization. Future is looking blindingly bright.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I saw the Hartsburg quote above - who was he giving the quote to? (In other words, was it meant to be public?)

Given to Rimer and Davidge. Hartsburg volunteered the quote. He was REALLY adamant that Reilly was head and shoulders above the other kids in college and that he was just delaying his promotion to the NHL.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
but with him not signed, and clearly wanting to be in college, you run the risk of pissing him off and him not signing after this season b/c of one dumb public comment that should have been said privately...

just my opinion...

Agree to disagree. I took it as a compliment. He was saying how he is ready for pro hockey and could get to the NHL quicker. Not sure how that is negative. I would be really happy if my boss thought that I was that good.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
I saw the Hartsburg quote above - who was he giving the quote to? (In other words, was it meant to be public?)

He was talking to Rimer and Davidge as they were calling the 3-on-3 tournament. So yeah, basically on-air.

Just a coach being candid, I would hope a player would appreciate that.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
I would think Reilly would take Hartsburg's comments as a compliment. He's clearly confident in his talents and thinks he is capable of playing pro hockey. I certainly wouldn't be upset if someone said that about me..

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
My awards for the best of camp as I saw it

Best overall: Wennberg. As somebody said earlier in the thread he is near or at the top in all the physical categories and mentally (at least during the 3 on 3) he seemed to see the ice the best of any prospect.

Best Hands: Milano. Looks like Patrick Kane and if he can develop a wrist shot and slow down the game he could be as deadly a scorer.

Best Skater: Reilly. I can honestly say I haven't seen anyone who skates as well as Reilly. If was 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier he would be one of the most hyped prospects in hockey.

Best Shot: Bjorkstrand. Kid can flat out shoot. Honorable mention to Daniel Zaar.

Best Grinder: Rychel. He isn't going to be the guy who puts it past the goalie from above the circles, but he is going a force to score in close. In my mind he could be a better version of what Umberger was.

Best Big man: Heatherington. Showed a surprising amount of skill and movement for someone as large as he is. Could be a really effective top 4 guy.

Best Goaltender: Forsberg. I don't know much about goalie play, but he seemed to track the puck the best of any of the four. Dansk still seems to have the most physical ability, but the question is if his mind will catch up he may end up being a cory schneider type that takes many, many seasons to ripen.

Overall, this is easily the best dev camp I've seen. I would put money down that all of Wennberg, Milano, Bjorkstrand, Rychel, Reilly, Heatherington will be NHL players in the next 2 years. Regardless Jarmo and Co. are going to have some interesting choices because before to long the guys in these camp will be taking spots away from the likes of Atkinson, Calvert, Anisimov, Savard, etc.

Nice review.

Hopefully Rychel wil be a better version of playoff Umbie from 2008 and his first two seasons with the Jackets.

Methinks Cory Schneider was ripe long before he got his shot to be a #1 thanks to being stuck behind Luongo but I get your point about Dansk.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
How did Bjorkstrand look?

Fast, really nice shot, needs a few sandwiches.

Had a great time last night at the 3v3 and then the dinner. We sat with Ryo Hashimoto, whose interpreter never showed. He still handled himself well and his English was far better than my Japanese. He loves big hamburgers so we did our best to get him to try Thurman's before leaving town :)

Really a sweet kid and I hope he somehow gets a chance to be a pro in North America someday.

If Elvis develops into an nhl goaltender, he's going to be a fun character to watch...love the attitude in his game.

Other observations different from those above...

Wenneberg looked like he was dogging it a lot, IMO. Great skills, but very floaty and casual. Rychel was a stark contrast - laser focus and very Dubi-esque in attitude. Heatherington looks a little raw but he's exactly the type of defenseman the team needs. It's probably just his appearance, but he reminds me of Adam Foote a little. The good parts, not the douchey part.

Last edited:

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'll throw this in here. The top 3 prospects I am most excited to see down the road as a Jacket...

1. Wennberg
2. Milano
3. Reilly

Those aren't the type of players we usually see come up through our system, although Bjorkstrand might fit in that mold a little more of Wennberg.

5StringBuzz

May 10, 2007
Columbus, OH
I'll throw this in here. The top 3 prospects I am most excited to see down the road as a Jacket...

1. Wennberg
2. Milano
3. Reilly

Those aren't the type of players we usually see come up through our system, although Bjorkstrand might fit in that mold a little more of Wennberg.

They pretty much had Wennberg and Bjorkstrand paired up in the tourney. Not a bad combination, at least in that setting.

thebus2288*

How good do you think Anisimov and Foligno would've looked at the camp?

Still think Bjorkstrand, Dano, Rychel and Wennberg are all gonna be on the big team in 2 years??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad