CBJ Board Summer '16 Prospect Rankings: #6

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Simply vote for the (no more than 1) prospect you think is the best prospect of the above and vote who you would like to see added to the next poll from the choices below. This poll will be open 24 hours.

This uses HF Criteria, hence why some players have spent time in the NHL.

Rank | Player | Position #1 |Zach Werenski|D
#2 |Pierre-Luc Dubois|LW
#3 |Oliver Bjorkstrand|RW
#4 |Joonas Korpisalo|G
#5 |Sonny Milano|LW

Added: Paul Bittner

Vitaly Abramov
Tyler Bird
Alex Broadhurst
Ryan Collins
Oscar Dansk
Vladislav Gavrikov
Jacob Graves
Markus Hannikainen
Scott Harrington
Dillon Heatherington
Dean Kukan
Jordan Maletta
Elvis Merzlikins
Nick Moutrey
Markus Nutivarra
Andrew Peeke
Peter Quenneville
John Ramage
Sam Ruopp
Dante Salituro
Justin Scott
Lukas Sedlack
Blake Siebenaler
Kole Sherwood
Markus Soeberg
Kevin Stenlund
Peter Thome
Calvin Thurkauf
TJ Tynan
Veeti Vainio
Oleg Yevenko
Daniel Zaar

Add Poll

Abramov: 8
Nuutivara: 2
Kukan: 2
Sedlak: 2
Gavrikov: 1
Hannikainen: 1
Merzlinkins: 1
Peeke: 1
Zaar: 1

as of Wheelchair

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think this is the first time ever that my top-5 and the consensus top-5 have been exactly the same. Not even any position swaps. Wow.

Anderson, add Zaar.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
weird spot in the add list. Hard not to want to add a guy who just lead the AHL team as a rookie in goals but at the same time Abramov is the most skilled guy left to be voted but has those size issues. there is also the D like Peeke and Heatherington (who I like every bit as much as Carlsson) plus Kukan and Nutivaara are good skaters and also have a bit more offensive upside

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
This is interesting. The way I look at it we have a glut of defensemen, all of which are likely 2nd or 3rd pair NHL defenders at peak (Nutivaara, Gavrikov, Heatherington, Kukan, Peeke). When upside is equal, you should look at what the players have shown professionally. I can't fathom Peeke over any of the other guys, especially Gavrikov (one of the best defensive defensemen in the entire KHL) and Nutivaara, who Tulip has waxed poetic about over and over.

Personally, I'd rank them
Nutivaara
Kukan
Gavrikov/Heatherington
Peeke

I also think many of those defensive prospects are better than some of the forwards at this point (Kolesar, Bittner, Sedlak, Hannikainen).

EDIT: Add Nutivaara

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
This is interesting. The way I look at it we have a glut of defensemen, all of which are likely 2nd or 3rd pair NHL defenders at peak (Nutivaara, Gavrikov, Heatherington, Kukan, Peeke). When upside is equal, you should look at what the players have shown professionally. I can't fathom Peeke over any of the other guys, especially Gavrikov (one of the best defensive defensemen in the entire KHL) and Nutivaara, who Tulip has waxed poetic about over and over.

Personally, I'd rank them
Nutivaara
Kukan
Gavrikov/Heatherington
Peeke

I also think many of those defensive prospects are better than some of the forwards at this point (Kolesar, Bittner, Sedlak, Hannikainen).

EDIT: Add Nutivaara

I think this is a legit way of judging them. Though if you do that, I don't think Gavrikov and Heatherington would be on the same level. Gavrikov is younger but probably more NHL ready (though we might not see him on the continent). He's been in a top role for Yaroslavl, while Heatherington hasn't even been one of the best D for Lake Erie yet. He needs to improve his skating still.

Nutivaara needs to do it for Lake Erie before he gets put on top of this group. Liiga has long been a refuge for small d-men who couldn't make it anywhere else.

I'd go with Peeke over Heatherington quite easily. He's got 3 entire years to pass him in ability. I'd say with the age difference, those two really don't have equal upside.

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Liiga has long been a refuge for small d-men who couldn't make it anywhere else.

Out of the five foreign smaller-sized defenders who put over +20 points in last season's SM-liiga regular season four (aged between 26 to 33) now got deals in either the AHL or the KHL.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I went with Anderson over Kolesar because he is ready for the nHL but in terms of long term ceiling Kolesar might be better. Just a SWAF (feeling) at this point based on what I've read about Kolesar.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I went with Anderson over Kolesar because he is ready for the nHL but in terms of long term ceiling Kolesar might be better. Just a SWAF (feeling) at this point based on what I've read about Kolesar.

add Abramov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad