CBJ Board Summer '16 Prospect Rankings: #2

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Here is what Bjorkstrand and Dubois did as 17 year olds.

Bjorkstrand:

Regular Season - 65 GP, 31 G, 32 A, 63 PTS, 10 PIM, +38
Playoffs - 21 GP, 8 G, 11 A, 19 PTS, 4 PIM

Dubois:

Regular Season - 62 GP, 42 G, 57 A, 99 PTS, 112 PIM, +40
Playoffs - 12 GP, 7 G, 5 A, 12 PTS, 14 PIM

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Bjorkstrand:

Dubois:

I agree with you that Dubois is the better prospect in terms of "ceiling", but I'm not sure if you can compare stat lines between players in the WHL and QMJHL.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I absolutely love the fact that we have Werenski, Dubois and Bjorkstrand.. and I am a huge Sonny Milano fan, this Abramov player looks to be a real playmaker as well. I will overlook a couple more seasons to watch these guys develop.. but we now have some talent. We need to have faith:D

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I agree with you that Dubois is the better prospect in terms of "ceiling", but I'm not sure if you can compare stat lines between players in the WHL and QMJHL.

I agree. Just pointing out that Dubois has more offense in his game than some think. People go crazy over what Bjorkstrand has done and Dubois was WAY ahead of him as 17 year olds.

Here are their G, A, and PTS as a % of their teams total G, A, and PTS (regular season only).

Bjorkstrand - 9.31%, 5.61%, 6.98%

Dubois - 14.74%, 12.67%, 13.47%

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

yeah you cant straight up compare the numbers but at that age Dubois was the offensive leader on his team while Bjorkstrand was a secondary player. At the same time to be fair to Bjorkstrand it was his rookie season and he played behind 3 guys with over 110 points and 2 of those had 120. He didnt have the chance Dubois did which led to him being available to us in the 3rd

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
yeah you cant straight up compare the numbers but at that age Dubois was the offensive leader on his team while Bjorkstrand was a secondary player. At the same time to be fair to Bjorkstrand it was his rookie season and he played behind 3 guys with over 110 points and 2 of those had 120. He didnt have the chance Dubois did which led to him being available to us in the 3rd

Yes, a lot goes into the numbers. I am just posting them to point out how good Dubois is. I just think people think of him as a guy with limited upside who will be a defensive center. I think he is the exact opposite. I think he is going to be an offensive center who is also good defensively.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes, a lot goes into the numbers. I am just posting them to point out how good Dubois is. I just think people think of him as a guy with limited upside who will be a defensive center. I think he is the exact opposite. I think he is going to be an offensive center who is also good defensively.

I know I was just looking at your post and the response to that post. The guy has skill and he doesnt score just junior type goals, he scores in a lot of ways. I love seeing how much he drops his shoulder and drives the net. With many people comparing him to Benn/Lecavlier I think a lot of the hockey world views him as a great all around prospect, its just the people that were so dead set on Pulju arent giving him a chance just yet. Hes a prospect we will all love when its said and done I think, such a pro mentality at a young age.
Im excited to see how he comes into camp. Hes already had 1 offseason with a proffesional trainer and it was huge for him so I wonder how his 2nd will go. He will be easily ready physically but its a matter of does he Boone Jenner his way onto the team or do they want the slower route with more center time

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Well, Bjorkstrand was also on a pretty stacked team. Don't know as much about Dubois' team.

This is a pretty good problem to have.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I know I was just looking at your post and the response to that post. The guy has skill and he doesnt score just junior type goals, he scores in a lot of ways. I love seeing how much he drops his shoulder and drives the net. With many people comparing him to Benn/Lecavlier I think a lot of the hockey world views him as a great all around prospect, its just the people that were so dead set on Pulju arent giving him a chance just yet. Hes a prospect we will all love when its said and done I think, such a pro mentality at a young age.
Im excited to see how he comes into camp. Hes already had 1 offseason with a proffesional trainer and it was huge for him so I wonder how his 2nd will go. He will be easily ready physically but its a matter of does he Boone Jenner his way onto the team or do they want the slower route with more center time

I will be very surprised if he isn't centering our 3rd line. He is ready physically, IMO, and that would be the only reason not to keep him. I think he can learn so much more from NHL coaching and playing with and against NHL players.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I will be very surprised if he isn't centering our 3rd line. He is ready physically, IMO, and that would be the only reason not to keep him. I think he can learn so much more from NHL coaching and playing with and against NHL players.

I dont think either option is bad. One thing that I think will help Dubois is when he goes through slumps offensively which all young players do he plays an engaging game that will keep him invested at all times vs a pure offensive guy who when he is not scoring isnt doing much at all

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I dont think either option is bad. One thing that I think will help Dubois is when he goes through slumps offensively which all young players do he plays an engaging game that will keep him invested at all times vs a pure offensive guy who when he is not scoring isnt doing much at all

Agreed

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016

Bjorkstrand:

Dubois:

I am impressed and surprised the Bjorkstrand is so close, since he basically used the first half of the season adjusting and to earn himself a sport on the second line. A second line that was not that well stocked.
Fact is that he was the best on Portland Winterhawks second line.

But to compare, one will have to compared with gold efficient (goal/play time). So the real question is how does it compare, when compared with goal efficient.

Well on the down side on Bjorkstrand is that he seems to need some time adjusting, every where. However so far, he has end up beating everybody's wildest expectation/hope after he has adjusted.

I just hope that both player end up adjusting as well as Bjorkstrand seems to do.

Anyway, Bluejacket need them both to fan-out very well to succeed. And there is no guaranties for any prospects. Some has had the chance to show some promising in NHL, IIHF Wolrdcup where other hasn't shown anything against senior players (yet (I hope)).

Here one play Center and one play wing. So for blue Jacket to succeed, then Dubois must work in NHL.
If he doesn't, well Blue Jacket next draft better be very good.

But to me it is very good to see Bjorkstrand beat the odds and the wildest expectation all the time. I will not be surprised anymore, if he end up being the best current prospect in the pool.

Dk Math

Jun 12, 2016
EspenK raised the same point you did, and I think it might be just two different ways of gauging prospects. I think it's the age difference that we're factoring in differently.

If I was to put point projections for Dubois and Bjorkstrand side-by-side (obviously rough guesses)

Age --- Dubois --- Bjorkstrand
18 ------- 30 -------- 0
19 ------- 40 -------- 0
20 ------- 45 -------- 0
21 ------- 50 -------- 40
22 ------- 55 -------- 45
23 ------- 60 -------- 50
24 ------- 65 -------- 55
25 ------- 65 -------- 55
26 ------- 65 -------- 55
27 ------- 65 -------- 55

So, yes it would be great and unsurprising to me if Bjorkstrand scores 25G, 15A next year, and that'll be more than Dubois can put up. But by the time Dubois is Bjorkstrand's age, I expect he'll be better than that.

Bjorkstrand:

Dubois:

EspenK I must say that you gold expectation is very optimistic, when you see the later comparison.
And that you already made a error in your table, since we already know that Bjorkstrand made 8 point this season in 12 games.

If I take that in the mind, and that of the history after 17 year.
Well this more like a fact, I am sure that I am inside the coming history...

18 ------- 0-300 -------- 0
19 ------- 0-300 -------- 0
20 ------- 0-300 -------- 0 (is that not 8 historic fact, now)
21 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300
22 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300
23 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300
24 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300
25 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300
26 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300
27 ------- 0-300 -------- 0-300

My point is everybody's guess is as good as any.

But to be as seriously as you, Bjorkstrand has so for beaten any expectations, so I will because of you have to go with.
And because most, well never reach anything near expectations, so does this mean?

18 ----- 00 -------- 0
19 ------- 10 -------- 0
20 ------- 15 -------- 8
21 ------- 20 -------- 70
22 ------- 25 -------- 75
23 ------- 30 -------- 80
24 ------- 35 -------- 85
25 ------- 35 -------- 85
26 ------- 35 -------- 85
27 ------- 35 -------- 85

Yes I subtracted 30 goal each year from yours and added 30 goals to Bjorkstrands. So know this is not my expectations at all.
Dubois is hopeful end up doing better, but these numbers is not bad for a 3'Th over all.
and no, Bjorkstrand is probably not going to be that good, even one should never say never.

I will be very happy if either and for sure if both make what you expected from Bjorkstrand.

I however do believe that both have a little chance on making crazy numbers. I also, from junior data has to believe that they will be very equal.

And EspenK, please at lest have the histories fact correct.
Just a little stories.

I will like to tell a little story (true story)
There was a little far far away country, where there for 12 years, the same team was in finale and won most. Still every year all the local experts talk up and down about how much better the other teams player was; Every single year. The expect rate both the home grown and the imports that way. How the Russian player of the other teams was much better than the winning teams American named Todd.
Even now, these same expert talk about how much better the player from other teams, that has reach the NHL, is better than the player that came from this little team from nowhere. How much better the prospect from the other teams is better! Thats even history time after time shows them wrong.
The fun is, these expert lobbied their prospect so much, that they got drafted into NHL first round and high, where people around this little team stayed to their motto. Will beats talent! which is basically the same as: Work hard and show them.
In the end so far, the NHL prospect from this team has been much better than any expectation, where the other teams prospect has had difficulties to reach any where near their expectations. :sarcasm:

Yes for everybody else the Todd is Todd Bjorkstrand.:nod:
And by the way, this little stories is also histories fact, even a little generalization has been done.

However what this stories shows, how much we all is influence by hypes on some prospects.
There is a great danger, we following the flow. Draft high = high expectation.

So just remember that some of Detroit best player over last few decades was not that high draft picks.
And remember most winning teams need some draft steals, because few is as lucky as Pittsburgh.
So guy's hope for those steals and don't expect us to be Pittsburgh lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad