Confirmed Signing with Link: [CBJ] Blue Jackets sign Zac Rinaldo (1 year, $750k, two-way)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Even if it's only an AHL move, there has to be a better way to spend $275k than on a guy whose last meaningful NHL moment involved sucker punching a 19 year old kid.
Seriously, f*** this guy.

Cheap shotting douche.

What was Girard trying to accomplish by skating over after the hit?? To say, “hi”?? He should be much more aware and learn to protect himself a bit better.

I don’t think the plan is for Ronaldo to dress or play regularly, and he won’t really scare teams (or the individual players themselves) physically like Wilson/Reaves etc., but, ironically it’s so the things that happened to Girard, don’t happen to the young “skilled” players throughout the CBJ lineup/organization.

Before a player decides to take “liberties” against a CBJ player, they have to make the decision if it’s worth dealing with whatever (potential/probable “ramped up”) retaliation Ronaldo will surely respond with.

Give me a Boll, Dorsett, Prout, Ronaldo ANYDAY!!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well as much as I dislike this guy, he probably thought Girard was challenging him for a fight, that's what anyone would have expected when someone skates up to you after such a hit. I guess Girard saw MacKinnon get hit but I'm not sure what his plan was.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
What was Girard trying to accomplish by skating over after the hit?? To say, “hi”?? He should be much more aware and learn to protect himself a bit better.

I don’t think the plan is for Ronaldo to dress or play regularly, and he won’t really scare teams (or the individual players themselves) physically like Wilson/Reaves etc., but, ironically it’s so the things that happened to Girard, don’t happen to the young “skilled” players throughout the CBJ lineup/organization.

Before a player decides to take “liberties” against a CBJ player, they have to make the decision if it’s worth dealing with whatever (potential/probable “ramped up”) retaliation Ronaldo will surely respond with.

Stupid play by Girard. Either go in hard and start swinging or don’t go at all. How long has he been playing this sport? Basically presented his face and asked, please hit me Mr Rinaldo sir. Nice to see Johnson take care of business.

Well as much as I dislike this guy, he probably thought Girard was challenging him for a fight, that's what anyone would have expected when someone skates up to you after such a hit. I guess Girard saw MacKinnon get hit but I'm not sure what his plan was.

Girard was skating up the ice to follow the play into the offensive zone and cover the point (aka playing the actual game of hockey), and shouldn't need to do anything special to avoid being sucker punched in this situation. The onus is on Rinaldo to be much more aware and see that it's a 19 year old kid with zero interest in fighting before dropping his gloves and throwing punches. Or maybe he shouldn't be throwing big hits like that if he's so afraid of retaliation that he needs to lash out at anyone who comes close to him.

Reactions: Owenay

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Girard was skating up the ice to follow the play into the offensive zone and cover the point (aka playing the actual game of hockey), and shouldn't need to do anything special to avoid being sucker punched in this situation. The onus is on Rinaldo to be much more aware and see that it's a 19 year old kid with zero interest in fighting before dropping his gloves and throwing punches. Or maybe he shouldn't be throwing big hits like that if he's so afraid of retaliation that he needs to lash out at anyone who comes close to him.
I don’t want to belabor this but disagree, looks like G put his stick on him and well that means game on….

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I don’t want to belabor this but disagree, looks like G put his stick on him and well that means game on….

We definitely disagree, because putting a stick on someone who is skating in your path doesn't mean you deserve to be sucker punched. There's a legitimate reason why Rinaldo was suspended for his actions here, so pretending this is acceptable behavior is laughable.

Reactions: Dr Quincy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Loved this play. Man I wish he was still on my favorite team.
One of the absolutely worst players in the NHL over the last 15 years. For all of his toughness his teams are always outshot (by other 4th lines) whenever he is on the ice.

I mean maybe people think he's entertaining... but I'm not entertained by cheap shots. But every time he's on the ice your team's chances of success go down.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Yeah Matt Cooke really thought about what Lucic, Chara, Adam McQuaid and Shawn Thornton might do before he "took liberties" against Marc Savard.

Not a single player in the league is going to avoid hitting a CBJ player because Zac Rinaldo is sitting on the bench. Rather, he'll be taking liberties with some other team's player and end up suspended (of course this is likely happening in the AHL).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

There's no onus there. Girard is another NHL competitor who was skating at Rinaldo with his stick in a cross check-ish fight initiating stance (half hearted) right after a big hit on a star player. I'm a big Girard fan and have no time for Rinaldo, but that's on Girard half assing a stand up for your teammate maneuver and getting knocked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad