Speculation: CBJ Asks from EDM for Josh Anderson...

LazyCircuits

Dec 14, 2019
Europia
I read a lot of indignation and disbelief among Oilers fans but here is some perspective.

1. We don’t really want to trade Anderson. We keep saying this. The sign that the proposal is an overpayment is that some Columbus fans (myself included) are intrigued by this deal.
2. You might think this is an overpayment...we might agree..we didn’t suggest it and neither, it seems, did Jarmo.
3. Anderson is statistically struggling because he has barely played and is in no way healthy. We all know playing a full season healthy his ceiling is above four points. Pretending otherwise is cheap and snidely. Viqsi is correct to say Edmonton shouldn’t take this kind of risk.
4. A healthy Anderson is the sort of player who would spark GMs into a serious bidding war (call it overvaluing size/intangibles etc.) so an overpayment seems likely if we traded him healthy in the Summer.

Please don’t bash or patronise Columbus fans for a deal we didn’t suggest and don’t really want to come up with fair value for in his current state.

Thank you and goodnight.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Columbus has no interest in D prospects and the Oilers have no offensive prospects worthy of Anderson. I don’t know why there is another Anderson thread started by an Oiler fan with Oilers fans saying Anderson sucks so his trade value is low so Columbus should trade him.

Reactions: Fro

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Edm fans in this thread, woof, this is not a good look for you.

CBJ fans have consistently said Anderson isn't available, or would cost an unreasonable return to acquire. I know because I really like Anderson's game, and wish he was available for trade, so I read the threads about him.

If the demand in OP is correct it just means CBJ management feels the same way.

This is how negotiations work. When your opponent won't take no for an answer you make a ridiculous demand.

Reactions: Viqsi and Fro

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I read a lot of indignation and disbelief among Oilers fans but here is some perspective.

1. We don’t really want to trade Anderson. We keep saying this. The sign that the proposal is an overpayment is that some Columbus fans (myself included) are intrigued by this deal.
2. You might think this is an overpayment...we might agree..we didn’t suggest it and neither, it seems, did Jarmo.
3. Anderson is statistically struggling because he has barely played and is in no way healthy. We all know playing a full season healthy his ceiling is above four points. Pretending otherwise is cheap and snidely. Viqsi is correct to say Edmonton shouldn’t take this kind of risk.
4. A healthy Anderson is the sort of player who would spark GMs into a serious bidding war (call it overvaluing size/intangibles etc.) so an overpayment seems likely if we traded him healthy in the Summer.

Please don’t bash or patronise Columbus fans for a deal we didn’t suggest and don’t really want to come up with fair value for in his current state.

Thank you and goodnight.
350.png

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
No. I said at minimum he's a perfect 3rd liner. And yes, I would only trade Josh Anderson for an upgrade at a position of need. There aren't many players who have Anderson's size, with his speed, shot, and physical play. He's my definition of a modern era power forward.

You didn't read what I said. So I'll summarize.

He would have hit 20 goals his rookie year, but he got zero powerplay time. Regardless, it was still a solid pro debut season.

He would have hit 20 goals easily the next year, perhaps even 30, but he got injured and missed almost 20 games, and yet he still built on his good rookie year in large part due to Panarin and Dubois. If there was an outlier year, I would argue for this one because he played first line minutes with an elite player for a long time.

Last year he nearly hit 30 goals (no longer playing with Panarin) and got consistent powerplay time. Continued to grow from last year. 22 of his 27 goals are even strength.

This year he's played hurt all year on his shoulder and hasn't played his game. He's not had a good year.

3 good years outweighs 1 bad year. The argument of him having an outlier year is kind of ridiculous considering his ice time went down from the previous year. The only thing that changes was he stayed healthy until the playoffs. You have a better argument to make if you said he was injury prone.

So yeah, top 6 center for an uncommon commodity. If you or any other team doesn't want it, then don't pay it, and we'll just keep him and you keep your center and we're all happy.
Would’ve could’ve should’ve. Sounds injury prone too. You see how guys like him age. Can’t play that physical style and play for long.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think this is one of those “he’s not available “ asks . But watch him go for a 2nd round pick from a Southern US team :laugh:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
This is the interview. The Josh Anderson talk starts at 18:55.

Sportsnet colour analyst Louie DeBrusk - Oilers NOW with Bob Stauffer - Omny.fm

I just listened to it again. I don't think he floated it out as a rumor. I think he said if the Oilers wanted to acquire Anderson the price would be ridiculous, therefore it's not happening.

This thread is hilarious! Why don't you all go listen to the show and then comment. Columbus DID NOT ask for this. This was a proposed expected ask by radio hosts. Who also go on to talk about Anderson's skill set and that it is rare but by all means let's simply compare him to Rinne. Just a little info to educate most of you:

Josh Anderson - 25 years old, 6' 3" & 225lbs who plays with an edge and is an amazing skater. He is easily a middle 6 forward and would be top 6 RW on most teams given his skill set (he's behind Atkinson and Bjorkstrand in Columbus - although likely switches with Bjorkstrand on line 2 depending on matchups).

Anderson's had a horrific year. He started the year with a shoulder injury and is injured again so he's not played healthy this year. He's only been a full time NHL player for 3 years and his goal totals are 17g in 78 games in 16/17, 19g in 63 games (that's above a 20 g pace for those that need help with math) in 17/18 and 27g in 82 games in 18/19. To most that would be considered a pretty damn good start and probably called an upward trend and positive trajectory. I suspect most would consider him a 20+ goal scorer but unfortunately his 19/20 season has been brutal so that's what HF decides value should be. Columbus fans clearly see him much more than a box score and most of us have no interest in moving him. I suspect CBJ management feels much the same way and would ask for the moon. There aren't many players in the NHL like Josh Anderson. Maybe watch him play and then come back to determine if he's a 1 g player or if that's more the anomaly.

Again, go listen and you'll find this was not an ASK from Columbus. It was what Stauffer indicated would be the LIKELY ASK from Columbus if there were to move him. He's very valuable even currently sitting at his lowest value and a player that can play in any situation with size, speed and physical edge. I'm not discounting this year, it's real, it's happening, but he isn't the player 90% of you on this thread seem to think he is.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Yeah, basically Anderson would only be available for an offensive upgrade. He is considered a top 6 power forward, expected to score 25-30 goals, 50ish points and be a physical force. He has undoubtedly had a terrible year likely due to a lingering shoulder injury. I don’t think Columbus is looking to move him as much as they’re hoping for him to get healthy and rebound. I don’t thin Columbus is shopping him, but I believe that if Edmonton were calling, the ask would be someone like RNH, but I also don’t think Columbus would move Anderson for someone who will be UFA in one year.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The Jackets fans do in every single thread. Yet Edmonton and Leafs fans just can’t seem to accept that.

Over and over again and again. Like a broken record.

Brown and a third

Khaira and a 4th

If you don’t agree... well you’re over valuing your crap player that we somehow want despite calling him crap

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Yeah, basically Anderson would only be available for an offensive upgrade. He is considered a top 6 power forward, expected to score 25-30 goals, 50ish points and be a physical force. He has undoubtedly had a terrible year likely due to a lingering shoulder injury. I don’t think Columbus is looking to move him as much as they’re hoping for him to get healthy and rebound. I don’t thin Columbus is shopping him, but I believe that if Edmonton were calling, the ask would be someone like RNH, but I also don’t think Columbus would move Anderson for someone who will be UFA in one year.
I think it has to be a clearer upgrade.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Why are you posting a rewording of what you already said on the first page? We get it. You think everyone wants Draisaitl for literally any asset.

its what you lot said in the summer, not us. Glad to see that a bad season DOES affect player value regardless of what you say and regardless of the breadth and depth of the excuses.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
its what you lot said in the summer, not us. Glad to see that a bad season DOES affect player value regardless of what you say and regardless of the breadth and depth of the excuses.
Please share where CBJ fans indicated it would take Draisaitl for Anderson. I have think that would be in relation to a big deal where clearly CBJ has a lot more in the pot than Anderson. I mean Anderson for Drai straight up is simply absurd. If someone suggested that they clearly were trolling.

Reactions: WannabeFinn

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Please share where CBJ fans indicated it would take Draisaitl for Anderson. I have think that would be in relation to a big deal where clearly CBJ has a lot more in the pot than Anderson. I mean Anderson for Drai straight up is simply absurd. If someone suggested that they clearly were trolling.

well there’s this one

Value of: - Josh Anderson to Edmonton

but there are many others, including telling Leaf fans it would take Marner.

I get they’re annoyed, I really do. It’s still outlandish. These threads should just be locked from the outset because Jackets fans are going to be obstinate and everyone else’s fans are going to be thick headed.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why bother asking for outlandish garbage instead of just saying "he's not available"?
:banghead:

WE f***ING DO SAY THAT.

ALL THE G-DDAMN TIME WE SAY THAT

IN EVERY f***ING THREAD WE SAY THAT

AND YET YOU PEOPLE DO. NOT. LISTEN.

No Means No, except on HF Trade Rumors. Do I have to start putting "We don't want to trade Josh Anderson" in every single post I write before it finally f***ing sinks in?

EDIT: Hell, look at the very first reply to the thread cited in the post immediately above in which ChaoticOrange is griping about the use of Draisaitl's name. Literally the very first reply. We do it all the time.

Last edited:

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

Thank you and goodnight.

There is no story here, this post states all there is to say. Media hacks posted this to charge up the masses just like they did when Edm asked Mtl about the cost for Subban.

To Columbus fans, sorry for having to listen to us oilers fans complain about this BS story.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This thread has become like the Kassian beat down on Dubinsky.

There is blood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad