Confirmed with Link: CBJ acquire Saad/Broadhurst/Paliotta from CHI for Anisimov/Dano/Morin/Tropp/2016 4th

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I wouldn't say disapointed, but it seems like Saad has trailed off here recently productionwise. That could be do to his line mates underperforming and missing games though. His speed and hustle look the same to me.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I like Saad's play, but to me he isn't playing with the same speed he was at the beginning of the season. I could also really, really do without the blind, soft, backhanded pass attempts cross ice through 2-3 defenders in the o-zone. This isn't Chicago where the D gives you room because they're worried about Toews, Hossa, Kane or whoever else.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Looking at it now does anyone feel like we won the trade. Gave up Anisimov and Dano for Saad. Where Saad is a lot more expensive. Anisimov also has about the same points as Saad for cheaper. Really need Paliotta to be something to make this trade even

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Anisimov is playing with Patrick Kane and Artemi Panarin. Gregory Campbell would have a half decent stat line playing with those guys. I bet if Saad was playing on that line he'd easily be flirting with PPG numbers.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Looking at it now does anyone feel like we won the trade. Gave up Anisimov and Dano for Saad. Where Saad is a lot more expensive. Anisimov also has about the same points as Saad for cheaper. Really need Paliotta to be something to make this trade even
Anisimov regularly plays with the likely Art Ross and Calder winners. Not fair to compare that to Saad who is leading a basement team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

I like the trade as far as us getting the better, younger player.
Anisimov is healthy for now at Chicago and he is producing.
Hate to say it but what Dano showed at end of last year was probably a fluke. Now if he goes on and becomes a legit 2nd line forward then yes it's an advantage to Chicago.

But we are locked into the contract (which again isn't a bad contract, it's just long like many other contracts we have).

Bottom line Chicago needed to dump a salary. We took it on and gave them a couple quality pieces back, but I still like what we got.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The only surprise I see is that Arty has only 14 assists despite centering the leagues top line.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Whoever the analyst that was on-air during the second intermission of the Blackhawks-Stars game on NHL Network was tearing apart this trade from a CBJ perspective.

Really, this was a very, very good hockey trade for both teams. Anisimov is a great middle-six centerman who can kill penalties and chip in offensively. But when he's on a line with Patrick Kane (who has a whopping 32 goals and 76 points) and essentially his younger clone, Arty will also be racking up points. It's not like he had anyone of that caliber to play with here in Columbus. And to Columbus, he was expendable because of both center depth (that we had) and the unlikeliness that he would re-sign in Columbus once his contract was up. Dano, in a way, was expendable too because of the amount of young talent and limited roster spots within the organization. He was used as a piece to upgrade the current forwards group in an area that was lacking - a mix of skill, speed, and diligence that could play a major role.

As for Saad, he has been one of the few bright spots for this team so far this year. He's proven that he can play at a high level and produce without playing with a bunch of superstars and cup winners, which many analysts doubted after the trade. He's young and talented, and will be one of the major "bricks" that management builds around for the future.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

It's a win-win.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It is a win-win but I'm convinced that the "best players" will be in a year or two:

1. Saad
2. Dano
3. Anisimov

With Paliotta unranked because nobody knows what he will be. He could be 2nd or 4th.

I have a lot of respect for Arty, but he is a 20-20 guy. On a line with Kane and Panarin he is a bit more, but he also hasn't had his annual injury yet.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Whoever the analyst that was on-air during the second intermission of the Blackhawks-Stars game on NHL Network was tearing apart this trade from a CBJ perspective.

Really, this was a very, very good hockey trade for both teams. Anisimov is a great middle-six centerman who can kill penalties and chip in offensively. But when he's on a line with Patrick Kane (who has a whopping 32 goals and 76 points) and essentially his younger clone, Arty will also be racking up points. It's not like he had anyone of that caliber to play with here in Columbus. And to Columbus, he was expendable because of both center depth (that we had) and the unlikeliness that he would re-sign in Columbus once his contract was up. Dano, in a way, was expendable too because of the amount of young talent and limited roster spots within the organization. He was used as a piece to upgrade the current forwards group in an area that was lacking - a mix of skill, speed, and diligence that could play a major role.

As for Saad, he has been one of the few bright spots for this team so far this year. He's proven that he can play at a high level and produce without playing with a bunch of superstars and cup winners, which many analysts doubted after the trade. He's young and talented, and will be one of the major "bricks" that management builds around for the future.

It was summoned up months ago; we were deep at center and we weren't going to play or pay him like a top six center. The Blackhawks could afford to do that.

It's great that he has 18 goals, it's also unlikely that his 20%+ shot on goal percentage is going to continue for any real length of time and he only has 14 assists. He is also putting less than 2 shots on goal per game. Even with those great totals is not producing at a great rate than he was here (borderline top six) - he's just finishing. Good player, but there isn't anything special about what he's doing in Chicago; he's a good complementary player on a great team.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
As much as I love Marco, I think this validates that CBJ got the better deal. Marco was the added value in the deal for Chicago. Their lack of interest in keeping him is very telling.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not when you are trying to repeat as Cup champions.

Agree 100%.
We've never been in situation to be buyers to try to win a cup. At best we've been buyers trying to get to the playoffs.

We're use to being sellers and trying to maximize value for guys, for teams trying to win it's about assessing needs and if you do think you are close doing whatever you have to do to address those needs. Sometimes you have to overpay and Ladd was pretty well regarded as the top asset available so there was likely a few teams looking into him.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The way I look at it is like this....

I have no clue how much longer that the Hawks will be an elite team. Maybe this is our last ride, maybe we have five or more years ahead of us. Who knows? But we do know for sure that this is an elite year and we have a chance to repeat, so trading a player that probably was a 2016-17 guy or later and a first that (if he pans out) probably won't be ready for another three years, and the end result might very well not have been felt until after our window had closed.

It's a steep price, as I was really looking forward to Dano in the Indian Head (or, more accurately, hoping to hear our announcer fumble a line featuring Dano and Danault during games), Ladd's addition to the first line lets us send Shaw down to the third line and make adjustments on the bottom two lines accordingly. That makes us a significantly better team now, and really.... that's all that matters.

Thanks again for Anisimov, though. Aside from needing to improve at the faceoff dot, he's been our best 2C of this era. Glad Saad's kicking butt in your neck of the woods, too.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Agree 100%.
We've never been in situation to be buyers to try to win a cup. At best we've been buyers trying to get to the playoffs.

We're use to being sellers and trying to maximize value for guys, for teams trying to win it's about assessing needs and if you do think you are close doing whatever you have to do to address those needs. Sometimes you have to overpay and Ladd was pretty well regarded as the top asset available so there was likely a few teams looking into him.
We actually sold on our only known trip to the playoffs (1st time around we didnt seal the deal till the next to last game I believe).

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
The way I look at it is like this....

I have no clue how much longer that the Hawks will be an elite team. Maybe this is our last ride, maybe we have five or more years ahead of us. Who knows? But we do know for sure that this is an elite year and we have a chance to repeat, so trading a player that probably was a 2016-17 guy or later and a first that (if he pans out) probably won't be ready for another three years, and the end result might very well not have been felt until after our window had closed.

It's a steep price, as I was really looking forward to Dano in the Indian Head (or, more accurately, hoping to hear our announcer fumble a line featuring Dano and Danault during games), Ladd's addition to the first line lets us send Shaw down to the third line and make adjustments on the bottom two lines accordingly. That makes us a significantly better team now, and really.... that's all that matters.

Thanks again for Anisimov, though. Aside from needing to improve at the faceoff dot, he's been our best 2C of this era. Glad Saad's kicking butt in your neck of the woods, too.

Teams like Chicago are exactly who teams like Columbus and Winnipeg should be trading with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad