News Article: CBC: 30 Thoughts

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Always good to read opinions from those that watch more than just the Sabres play. In particular I agree that our defensemen aren't nearly as bad as posters around here would have you believe, especially with the departure of Leopold who legitimately was terrible. In particular I know joshjull has been harping about how terrible our forwards have been at helping out our defensemen. Vanek in particular seems to be stuck in Lindy's 2005 cherry pick breakout system.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Always good to read opinions from those that watch more than just the Sabres play. In particular I agree that our defensemen aren't nearly as bad as posters around here would have you believe, especially with the departure of Leopold who legitimately was terrible. In particular I know joshjull has been harping about how terrible our forwards have been at helping out our defensemen. Vanek in particular seems to be stuck in Lindy's 2005 cherry pick breakout system.

Me too. I hate that the forwards mostly don't come back deep enough, hard enough and then they blow the zone early. It's something that Flynn and Porter do not usually do, which is why they stand out so often.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Me too. I hate that the forwards mostly don't come back deep enough, hard enough and then they blow the zone early. It's something that Flynn and Porter do not usually do, which is why they stand out so often.
For most of the season when Vanek's line is on the ice and we're hemmed in our own zone I ask myself "Is Vanek injured?" only to see him standing near center ice waiting for a pass 20 seconds later. It drives me insane. If the team was better it would be understandable but we've had trouble all year with puck possession, do your part Thomas.

I think for the most part Ehrhoff, Sekera and Weber have played very smart mostly mistake free Hockey this season. With the exception of a few games obviously but they aren't elite and it's expected. There's not much more you can ask of those 3 guys when it comes to the D-zone this year.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I think anyone who watches the games can see that our forwards don't support our defensemen. It's blatant.

Probably the worst forward at this is Adam. He single-handedly made the Porter-Flynn combo play like garbage. It's why he can't stick. Stafford actually comes back but then seems more focused on avoiding contact than getting the puck out.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
For most of the season when Vanek's line is on the ice and we're hemmed in our own zone I ask myself "Is Vanek injured?" only to see him standing near center ice waiting for a pass 20 seconds later. It drives me insane. If the team was better it would be understandable but we've had trouble all year with puck possession, do your part Thomas.

I think for the most part Ehrhoff, Sekera and Weber have played very smart mostly mistake free Hockey this season. With the exception of a few games obviously but they aren't elite and it's expected. There's not much more you can ask of those 3 guys when it comes to the D-zone this year.

Can add Pysyk to that.

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
I respect a lot of things about Darcy Regier, but this is ridiculous. If Darcy is even thinking about bringing back Vanek or Miller, he needs to be let go. You either rebuild or you don't. You don't trade away half your good players and keep the other half on so you can limp along in the 9th to 12th place range, never having enough talent to win, never sucking enough to get that talent.

If 29 other teams don't think your players are worth much, that should be a sign to lower your price, not do only a half-rebuild.

If the value really isnt there I'd rather keep them too. I would want a pommers type return for vanek and a 1st/high end prospect+ for miller or else I'd keep them

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I agree ....

Next season buffalo needs to see what they have with these young dmen in Pysak, McNabb, Ruhwedel, and G-L. McNabb played well last year when he was called up.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I'd be open to having Briere back. What capacity though? Top 6 or top 9 forward? Honest question, not sure.

Great point on Myers. I completely agree with it.

I have no problem keeping Vanek as I'd like him to be a Sabre for life (if he wants to) but I just don't want Miller past next season, we have promising youth and I don't see the point in keeping him. Let him find success elsewhere.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is a relatively easy solution to the joint custody issue for Briere, if his ex will go for it:

Briere buys two homes here. One for him and one for her.

Who knows if it would be OK with her. But, she might want him to max his income, too.....

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There is a relatively easy solution to the joint custody issue for Briere, if his ex will go for it:

Briere buys two homes here. One for him and one for her.

Who knows if it would be OK with her. But, she might want him to max his income, too.....

I doubt she wants to come back to Buffalo. She was pretty angry when they left.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Briere is not a 4m a year player and with the cap going down he better realize that. Briere needs to accept a 2.35-2.75 offer max the dude is already loaded.

moltenlava26

Jul 10, 2011
Danny B is one of my favorites, but wouldn't that give the Sabres 4 of the exact type of center, all in different stages of their career?

Briere: former elite, smallish, non-phyisical center (plays tough but not considered a Defensive center). Offiensive center

Ennis: up and coming, smallish, non-phyisical center (decent 2 way game. still working at it. Injury history. Will take the body sometimes) Offensive center

Hodgson: average size, non-phyisical center (still learning to be a 2 way center. Tough sledding so far, but year with Top 6 minutes). Offensive center

Grigs: Great size, non-phyisical center (hasn't begun to develop any form of 2 way game at the NHL level). Offensive center

Personally, i like all of these guys, but this is what got the Sabres in trouble this year. I'm not expecting a cup contender next year, but it all starts in the middle. This team needs a solid two way center. I am hoping for Larson but that is a lot to throw on a kid in his first year, unless there is no expectation of winning.

You could move some of them to wing to accomodate all of them if they are on your roster, but is that the best move?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I doubt she wants to come back to Buffalo. She was pretty angry when they left.

I kind of read it the other way. I read it as she was mad that they left Buffalo. So, I would think that she might like a return here....

Who knows...

But, she may also be open to moving to wherever the biggest contract is, too. If support payments are a percentage of his income....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad