News Article: CBC: 30 Thoughts

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Few things regarding the Sabres in this segment of "30 Thoughts" that was published yesterday by Elliotte Friedman on CBC.

15. Darcy Regier never came close to dealing Ryan Miller or Thomas Vanek at the deadline. "The value wasn't there," he said last week. When you see what it took for him to trade Jason Pominville, you understand what value he wanted. More interesting: the Sabres GM hinted, but would not confirm, that he's talked to both players about extending their contracts in Buffalo. Miller and Vanek are unrestricted free agents after next season.

16. Regier told Hockey Night in Canada Radio the departures of Daniel Briere and Chris Drury taught him that you can't let those kinds of players leave for nothing. When he and I talked by phone, he talked about "the void" that still exists under the new CBA. We know now (thanks to Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry) what the high-end 27-year-olds are going to get. Vanek will be 30 and Miller 33 when they hit the market. Can the Sabres find a number they are comfortable with for those players? If not, they will be traded. Regier will sit down with both men after the season. Those talks will determine where things go.

17. Speaking of Briere, if Philadelphia does buy him out (as has been widely reported), would the Sabres bring him back? It's a good family fit for him, they need experience and it would give the fans something to be happy about. He helped Sean Couturier's NHL adjustment and Buffalo will be full of young guys seeking that aid.

18. That quote by Craig MacTavish about the problem not being coaching in Edmonton? Same goes for Buffalo. Same problems under Ron Rolston that existed with Lindy Ruff. The Sabres need more forwards committed to defending and winning battles. Their defence don't get a lot of help.

19. That brings us to Tyler Myers. I've written it before, but his biggest problem is he places way too much pressure on himself and can't let go of mistakes. He and the Sabres feel they are finally making progress on that issue. You can't question his compete level when he plays 26 minutes on a night where he broke his leg. He needs to fill out his frame, yes, but the mental side is the most important.

20. Patrick Kaleta, on the dressing-room corner he shares with Steve Ott: "The most hated corner in the league."

Full article here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...raig-mactavish-poised-to-shake-up-oilers.html

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'd be open to bringing Briere back on a 1-2 year deal if he comes cheap. He'd be nice to have in the room with the young guys.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I respect a lot of things about Darcy Regier, but this is ridiculous. If Darcy is even thinking about bringing back Vanek or Miller, he needs to be let go. You either rebuild or you don't. You don't trade away half your good players and keep the other half on so you can limp along in the 9th to 12th place range, never having enough talent to win, never sucking enough to get that talent.

If 29 other teams don't think your players are worth much, that should be a sign to lower your price, not do only a half-rebuild.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Considering Briere is divorced, I'm not sure his family is a primary concern for him.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I respect a lot of things about Darcy Regier, but this is ridiculous. If Darcy is even thinking about bringing back Vanek or Miller, he needs to be let go. You either rebuild or you don't. You don't trade away half your good players and keep the other half on so you can limp along in the 9th to 12th place range, never having enough talent to win, never sucking enough to get that talent.

If 29 other teams don't think your players are worth much, that should be a sign to lower your price, not do only a half-rebuild.

He didn't lower his price on Pominville or Gaustad and it eventually paid dividends. He's learned his lesson form Briere/Drury and won't lose them for nothing. He has more time still to try to extract better trade value though. No problem with that. And Vanek and Miller aren't what's stopping us from bottoming out anyway, so I'm not sure what your "half-rebuild" comment is about.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
I haven't seen anything in a while, but last I was aware they had an arrangement that she had the kids most of the hockey season. But I could be wrong on that.

Either way, Im sure if he goes to another city, his ex and the kids will stay where they are, and he'll move. That's just easier on all involved.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
For some reason i remember the kids/Briere still having a strong connection to Buffalo. Wasn't he on the way to Buffalo when he got in that car accident?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I haven't seen anything in a while, but last I was aware they had an arrangement that she had the kids most of the hockey season. But I could be wrong on that.

Either way, Im sure if he goes to another city, his ex and the kids will stay where they are, and he'll move. That's just easier on all involved.
Briere said he isn’t worried about returning to his old high-scoring form, but he is concerned about doing it for another team because he doesn’t want to be separated from his three children. He and his ex-wife share custody of their boys – ages 14, 13 and 11. The boys have been asking him what’s going to happen.

“They understand what’s going on,†Briere said. “They hear kids at school, as well. It’s part of reality.â€
http://www.delawareonline.com/artic.../Danny-Briere-tells-Flyers-Philly-where-want-

And one from 2011:
Claude Giroux, the Flyers' kinetic center who will play in his first All-Star Game on Sunday afternoon, had no brothers while growing up in a small Ontario town.

Now he has four of them.

Well, not that Giroux has the same blood lines as any of them, but...

"We're close," Giroux said. "We have a lot of fun together."

Giroux, 23, was speaking about his Haddonfield housemates - teammate and fellow all-star Danny Briere and his three sons, Caelan, 12; Carson, 11; and Cameron, 9.

Briere, 33, recently was divorced; he and his ex-wife, Sylvie, have 50/50 custody of their three boys. When the Flyers are playing at home, the boys are usually staying with their dad and their video-game-playing buddy, Giroux.
http://articles.philly.com/2011-01-...roux-and-briere-uncle-jesse-sunday-s-all-star

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Considering Briere is divorced, I'm not sure his family is a primary concern for him.

I think his wife has some level of custody of the kids, though, and he likely doesn't want to be too far away if he can help it. Wouldn't be surprised if he stays inside the I-95 corridor (Jersey, Rangers, Caps) to make it easier for the kids to see both parents.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005

In regards to value, I think with the cap going down next year, the value of both guys was limited at this year' deadline because only a few teams would even be in a good position to carry them for a full year next year. I think their max value might be at next year's deadline as rentals when teams only need to carry a portion of their salary. Whether or not they should be resigned here is a different discussion I don't care to get into right now.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All depends if he wants to move his family back to Buffalo.

His wife was particularly angry when they left from what I know of the situation. Now that they're split and she's living well in Jersey, I doubt she has any interest in returning here. Based on proximity, any the Devils, Isles or Rangers would probably be a better fit for Danny personally rather than heading back to Buffalo.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
His wife was particularly angry when they left from what I know of the situation. Now that they're split and she's living well in Jersey, I doubt she has any interest in returning here. Based on proximity, any the Devils, Isles or Rangers would probably be a better fit for Danny personally rather than heading back to Buffalo.

You just know that Terry would let him use his jet as often as he wants to see his kids.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
In regards to value, I think with the cap going down next year, the value of both guys was limited at this year' deadline because only a few teams would even be in a good position to carry them for a full year next year. I think their max value might be at next year's deadline as rentals when teams only need to carry a portion of their salary. Whether or not they should be resigned here is a different discussion I don't care to get into right now.

He didn't lower his price on Pominville or Gaustad and it eventually paid dividends. He's learned his lesson form Briere/Drury and won't lose them for nothing. He has more time still to try to extract better trade value though. No problem with that. And Vanek and Miller aren't what's stopping us from bottoming out anyway, so I'm not sure what your "half-rebuild" comment is about.

Yes, obviously I agree that it's fine if Darcy takes his time getting a better price. But if he resigns players that tie up cap space, keep us from bottoming out, and don't have any relevance to our long-term cup plans, he's foolish. That's not a rebuild, it's a recipe for a cycle of mediocrity. I tend to think all three qualifications there are met.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad