CBA on Retired Players Returning to the NHL

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
What are the rules on retired players returning to the NHL? I couldn't find anything in the CBA.

I think I remember a story about a retired player coming back because his dad had cancer and needed help paying the bills. But because he came back too soon, he needed permission from his last team. Anyone remember the details?

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
i believe the rule is if you sign and file your papers with the league, you cannot return for 1 calendar year with out the agreement from every team in the league.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
What are the rules on retired players returning to the NHL? I couldn't find anything in the CBA.

I think I remember a story about a retired player coming back because his dad had cancer and needed help paying the bills. But because he came back too soon, he needed permission from his last team. Anyone remember the details?

This is not in the CBA - it is covered under NHL By-Laws Section 8 (the Cpl Klinger section???) - Voluntarily Retired List.

A player who files for retirement is removed from the Reserve List of his team and placed on the League's Voluntarily Retired List.

- He cannot be removed from the list for 1 calendar year without the unanimous consent of all teams.

- After 1 year he may be transferred back from the list.

- A player entered on the list:

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, as a player for a period of three years from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

and

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, in any other capacity for a period of one year from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

- Being placed on the list does not relinquish a teams rights to that player. He cannot return and sign with another team during the remaining term of his contract and the team would still hold his RFA rights if he were not UFA eligible. A player cannot use retirement to circumvent the free agency rules.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
This is not in the CBA - it is covered under NHL By-Laws Section 8 (the Cpl Klinger section???) - Voluntarily Retired List.

A player who files for retirement is removed from the Reserve List of his team and placed on the League's Voluntarily Retired List.

- He cannot be removed from the list for 1 calendar year without the unanimous consent of all teams.

- After 1 year he may be transferred back from the list.

- A player entered on the list:

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, as a player for a period of three years from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

and

"may not re-enter organized hockey, professional or amateur, in any other capacity for a period of one year from the date of such entry without the written consent of the Member Club making such entry."

- Being placed on the list does not relinquish a teams rights to that player. He cannot return and sign with another team during the remaining term of his contract and the team would still hold his RFA rights if he were not UFA eligible. A player cannot use retirement to circumvent the free agency rules.

This is what I was looking for. I was wondering if an RFA could sit out 2 years and return as an UFA, but it looks like he would just return to his original team. Any idea if the original was at their 50 contract limit? Would they just have to move a player first?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad