GDT: #CauseWinning: Canes @ Rongos Game 2 ("7pm" on ESPN)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
FWIW: Canes are the only team remaining in the playoffs that doesn't have a pre or post game show. Don't want to fund travel due to National ownership of games, got it.

But not to spend for the shows is penny pinching and more importantly not good for the fan base/supporting the brand.
Couldn’t watch it if i wanted to, dang xfinity

Reactions: Tryamw

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
I’ve always thought Rod could use better assistant coaches. But that doesn’t seem like an option with him. He’s got his guys.

Rod is probably the best motivator I think I’ve ever seen as a coach, players literally willing to run through walls for the guy. But I also think he’s a bit stubborn, a little bit of a control freak, especially when it comes to young players.

Phil freaking Housley or Timmy, who despite most of us having a fondness for as a player was a mediocre defenseman at best.

Then you’ve got Michael Peca who is honestly close to Rods equal when it comes to playing career, especially if he hadn’t suffered his ACL & MCL being blown the f up. Who played with way more of an edge.

And I’m surprised no one has given Dan Muse a head coaching shot yet, will probably happen sooner rather than later. He would be an amazing coach for a young up and coming team, dude seems to win wherever he goes.

Those are Lavi’s assistants. Don’t really need to list his credentials here, I assume they’re pretty well know.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
Lavi is a better tactician. Period.

Rod is a better motivator.
Yeah, Rod is starting to remind me of another coaching legend hero of mine that killed it in the regular and then his stubborn would kill him in the post season.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
In the discussion, they talked about how he would probably be as successful or more if he ever went elsewhere but likely might not love the market or setting.
I honestly don’t think he would coach anywhere else.

One thing I’ve always gotten a chuckle from is how immune to criticism Rod, Timmy and even Daniels to an extent have been. With Daniels being more 50/50 amongst fans. When under PK ownership management would have been raked over the coals for those nepotism hires. Winning is a wonderful thing and changes perception wildly.

Would a different head coach like Trotz, Lavi, Berube have gotten the same or better results from this group? Would any of these more established coaches provided that little extra tactical advantage to push this group over the top? Would any of those guys mesh with Dundon’s early ownership style? All fun what ifs to me. But at the end of the day I don’t think there’s much more that could be asked of Rod and what he’s done to help propel this franchise to the top of the league, and that’s coming from one of his harshest critics.

hockeynjune

Just a soft breeze
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2021
I honestly don’t think he would coach anywhere else.

One thing I’ve always gotten a chuckle from is how immune to criticism Rod, Timmy and even Daniels to an extent have been. With Daniels being more 50/50 amongst fans. When under PK ownership management would have been raked over the coals for those nepotism hires. Winning is a wonderful thing and changes perception wildly.

Would a different head coach like Trotz, Lavi, Berube have gotten the same or better results from this group? Would any of these more established coaches provided that little extra tactical advantage to push this group over the top? Would any of those guys mesh with Dundon’s early ownership style? All fun what ifs to me. But at the end of the day I don’t think there’s much more that could be asked of Rod and what he’s done to help propel this franchise to the top of the league, and that’s coming from one of his harshest critics.
Agree on all points . No way all our successes happen w/o Rod and he is a great face for this franchise. Maybe a little more flexibility might enhance his hockey life?

Last edited:
Reactions: ndp and Tryamw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad