• Philip Tomasino

Votes: 43 28.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Caufield is miles better. They’re not comparable.

11 AHL games doesn’t compare to season Caufield is having.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Caufield is miles better. They’re not comparable.

11 AHL games doesn’t compare to season Caufield is having.
he was also one of the best OHL players for a while, and 11 game is a sample size but the fact he is PPG as a 19 year old is pretty amazing. Caufield is great but he is in college still. once he is pro it will be easier to tell. it is somewhat close, its not a landslide.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Most promising prospect - very easily Caulfield. His ceiling is crazy high.

He has a lot of risk though. With his size - until you see him at the NHL you can't know for sure if he'll succeed and to what extent. But in terms of ceiling and promise, it's him.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Most promising prospect - very easily Caulfield. His ceiling is crazy high.

He has a lot of risk though. With his size - until you see him at the NHL you can't know for sure if he'll succeed and to what extent. But in terms of ceiling and promise, it's him.
yeah thats pretty much it. Caufield has a higher ceiling but Tomasino is a safer bet to become an NHL player. lower risk i mean.

i wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if Tomasino becomes the better NHL player.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
yeah thats pretty much it. Caufield has a higher ceiling but Tomasino is a safer bet to become an NHL player. lower risk i mean.

i wouldnt be surprised in the slightest if Tomasino becomes the better NHL player.
Tomasino is a solid prospect and all, but I’d be shocked if he became a better NHL player.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
Vesey won it as a 22 year old senior, Caufield is a 19 year old sophomore. If you filter that award to those who won it at Cole's age you'll find a very strong correlation with NHL success.
I like him and his line-mate Holloway. I think both are gonna be nasty in the big league

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Vesey won the hobey baker. I’d still take caufield but that award means very little with regard to nhl success.
and I can find you a ton of OHL prospects that ended out being crap in the NHL too. Never said Caufield was a sure bet, but you wont find many hockey experts who dont think his shot can translate to the NHL. Time will tell for both.

Julien LG

Dec 16, 2018
he was also one of the best OHL players for a while, and 11 game is a sample size but the fact he is PPG as a 19 year old is pretty amazing. Caufield is great but he is in college still. once he is pro it will be easier to tell. it is somewhat close, its not a landslide.

It is ? Could you go to the Kotkaniemi - KK thread to tell that to the people telling habs fan Kotkaniemi was crap in the ahl last year and that going PPG in the ahl at 20 means nothing ?

Btw i agree with you, it is an impressive start.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's harder to go PPG in the AHL in your rookie year

Lets see... In the past two decades

U20 Players who have outproduced Caufields PPG: Connor and Eichel

U20 players who have outproduced Tomasinos PPG: Pastrknak, Jarvis, Chekhovich, Studnicka, Eberle, Kotkaniemi, Tlusty, Spezza, Theodore, Nylander, Rantanen, Zegras, Ryan, Saarela, RNH

Oof, I guess its harder.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Lets see... In the past two decades

U20 Players who have outproduced Caufields PPG: Connor and Eichel

U20 players who have outproduced Tomasinos PPG: Pastrknak, Jarvis, Chekhovich, Studnicka, Eberle, Kotkaniemi, Tlusty, Spezza, Theodore, Nylander, Rantanen, Zegras, Ryan, Saarela, RNH

Oof, I guess its harder.

More players go thru the AHL route than college route

Caufield will be in the AHL before becoming a regular in the NHL. We will see if he can go PPG then

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I have no idea, I know Tomasino can skate probably better than anyone we've had as a prospect. I stopped falling into the hype train when everyone told us Tolvanen was the greatest goal scoring prospect we've had because he broke records as an 18 year old in the KHL and then struggled the next year in the AHL and now looks like a legit goal scoring in the NHL.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Funny how people say rookie AHL PPG is impressive, in this thread.

I can go to another thread nearby, people saying Kotkaniemi being PPG in the AHL wasn't impressive at all, just 1 goal.

I love this website :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad