• Philip Tomasino

Votes: 43 28.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Caufield, but not by a lot. He is doing very well in college but Tomasino is doing very well as a 19 year old in the AHL, a much better league.

Caufield is the better prospect but i wouldnt be surprised whatsoever if Tomasino becomes the better NHL player.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Probably Tomasino with how much Montrealers hype Caufield. I'm sure everyone remembers the Jarred Tinordi hype...and the Nathan Beaulieau hype...and the Alex Galchenyuk hype...and the Michael McCarron hype...and the Jakob De La Rose hype...and the Nikita Scherbak hype...and the Noah Juulsen hype.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Probably Tomasino with how much Montrealers hype Caufield. I'm sure everyone remembers the Jarred Tinordi hype...and the Nathan Beaulieau hype...and the Alex Galchenyuk hype...and the Michael McCarron hype...and the Jakob De La Rose hype...and the Nikita Scherbak hype...and the Noah Juulsen hype.

what? Galchenyuk was hyped of course but the rest? Not even close

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
This post is completely and totally devoid of logic

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Yeah ive seen some pretty cringey posts on here but at least its warranted. little guy looks good. i would like to see him at the pro level though against men.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Tomasino will be a better driver of offense at the NHL level than Caufield and ultimately a more impactful player in the end. That's not to say Caufield won't drive offense, for those who may take that wrong.

Tomasino is a relatively underrated prospect for the high end talent he brings. Should have gone higher than 24th even on draft day.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Having seen both of them play for probably a 20 game sample including the WJC, I'd take Tomasino. Not sure if Nashville is still playing a defense-heavy system since Trotz departed a few years back but if they're allowing for offensive creativity, Tomasino gives you an all-around skill set. Caufield is a bust risk since he's small and very much reliant on his elusiveness and shot, but if he makes it, I think he's the more superior goal scorer (probably not by as large a margin as most would imagine however).

If both players don't hit their top-end potential, however, I think Tomasino can still carve out a Nick Schmaltz-type career whereas Caufield is probably Europe bound.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't object to anybody taking Caufield. But as a Preds fan I would not trade Tomasino for Caufield. Tomasino got 100 pts last year in the OHL and probably should have played a bigger role in the WJC, but neither he nor Caufield particularly stood out there. Tomasino probably would have had a monster season in the OHL and played for a Memorial Cup this year if it wasn't for Covid. But neither one of them is a sure-fire future NHL star. Caufield has the more notable special skill with his shot, but he also has the more glaring flaws with his size and lack of defensive play.

We've just had too many tiny players on our team lately. I would stick with Tomasino, I'm more comfortable with his more rounded game, and we've already transitioned Tolvanen into an undersized-shooter role on our team, so Caufield's unique skill attribute isn't that big a draw for us.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's harder to go PPG in the AHL in your rookie year
I mean, it's a very watered-down AHL this year with all the taxi squads, and I don't necessarily want to overrate a strong AHL showing this year. Probably Caufield would tear up this year's AHL too.

But still, Tomasino is ticking every box for us in Nashville so far, and we're really happy with him, just like I guess Habs fans are with Caufield, so I don't see why it'd be such a big deal for both sides to just acknowledge the other side has what they want already, and leave it at that. :dunno:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Caufield, but not by a lot. He is doing very well in college but Tomasino is doing very well as a 19 year old in the AHL, a much better league.

Caufield is the better prospect but i wouldnt be surprised whatsoever if Tomasino becomes the better NHL player.

AHL right now is crap. AHL best players are all ont heir respective team Taxi Squds. AHL this year is more or less an in between between the ECHL and the regular AHL

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I remember some massive threads on De La Rose, some pretty big hype on Juulsen, but I'm being hyperbolic with the rest.
You forgot Poehling after his first game to end a season where he got a hat trick. Full offseason of that being his only showing drove the hype for him through the roof.

Nick Slafkofield

Nov 5, 2018
Yes because Caufield’s career is directly linked to the amount of hype a player had 10 years ago

Reactions: Habano

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
It seems that all the professional hockey people are also hyping Caufield but than what do they know compared to you.

Now onto the question it's anybody's guess at this moment in time. Both are showing they belong.
If Caufield's size doesn't hinder his transaction to the NHL to much than i'll go with the experts and pick him.

Last edited:

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Name me a Canadian fanbase who hasnt hyped their prospects....

but are you kidding me? the guy is about to win the Hobey Baker, lead the league in goals and points this year by a country mile (28G in 30GP, next best had 18).... AND lead in goals last season (2nd in points). This against men..... Not to mentioned he broke Matthews' NTDP goals record with 72 at age 17/18

yeah thats just hype.... nothing out of the ordinary there.

Come back when you know a thing or two about talent when you see it :help:

Last edited:
Reactions: Habano

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
Name me a Canadian fanbase who hasnt hyped their prospects....

but are you kidding me? the guy is about to win the Hobey Baker, lead the league in goals and points this year by a country mile (28G in 30GP, next best had 18).... AND lead in goals last season (2nd in points). This against men..... Not to mentioned he broke Matthews' NTDP goals record with 72 at age 17/18

yeah thats just hype.... nothing out of the ordinary there.

Come back when you know a thing or two about talent when you see it :help:
Well said. I know us Hab fans are as guilty of it as any other Canadian fan base. I think it stems from hoping that the prospect is as good as we think he is.

After two and a half decades of mediocrity, we tend to see things in prospects that might not be there.

We forget how good the Lafleurs, Beliveaus, Richards etc of the hockey world were and we put undue pressure on kids that aren't in the league yet.

That said, I'm a huge Caufield fan and hope he will be one of the keys to solving our puzzle.

Last edited:

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Cole Caufield and it's not even close, the next Johnny Gaudreau. He play like him with better shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad