GDT: Cats @ Caps - 11/2/2013 7 PM

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Traded with Green for a real defenseman.

Green and Brouwer for Yandle and Michalek?

Eh Phoenix is having a very nice season so far so I don't know why they would be looking to change things up...

Last edited by a moderator:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Good game guys, the refs sucked for both of us as usual.

I hope you pick up John Scott or Steve MacIntyre for the next PHIlthy game. I'm still ranting and raving over the Ememry assault on Holtby...hope that turd with eyes gets his.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Is he ever cheating up the ice in this game. Ugh. The problem with not playing strong system hockey over the years is it doesn't expose questionable heads like Green as much.

Completely agree. It's just tough to get that value back in terms of what he can do when he's on I'd reckon.

Thats been my exact critique of Green since 09-10, he continues to make the same bad decisions he made as a rookie/young player. Ive been beaten up here for saying that he didnt seem like a smart guy or smart player

Its been time to move on from him for at least 2 years for me

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Thats been my exact critique of Green since 09-10, he continues to make the same bad decisions he made as a rookie/young player. Ive been beaten up here for saying that he didnt seem like a smart guy or smart player

Its been time to move on from him for at least 2 years for me

Not by me you haven't. I've been saying it here for years now.

Many of the Caps main guys, from the last 5 years, are not known as "cerebral" players. The young guns....Carlson, Varly, Schultz, ...etc, are not heady players. Some are downright dim, from where I sit. But you can't say that in Pro Sports. It's taboo, they are just "knuckleheads". This is why I've been asking for a transfusion. Who picks this many dense players?

That's the Caps Achilles heal. Seems it may be George's as well.

Must drive Oates nutso.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I would like:

10-19-16 -- Keep this line in tact
21-90-8 -- Keep Mojo and Ovi together. Laich sucks, but thanks to Oates' dexterity obsession, there's no other choice. (Give Ovi the occasional shift with the first line instead of 10 or 16 to insure he gets his deserved ice time)
25-84-42 -- Gotta keep this line together.
24-46-43 -- Really like this line too.

27-74 -- Keep 'em together.
34-52 -- Urbom has played well. Adds size next to Green.
88/81-61 -- Schmidt can skate to make up for Oleksy's lack thereof. Oleksy is strong to make up for Schmidt being soft. Can replace Schmidt with Orlov.

Brouwer just needs to go. He does more harm than good in this lineup IMO, at least until Oates bites the bullet and will let players play RW/LW. Fehr is better than him, BY FAR, at even strength, as-is Joel Ward. Fehr should not go back to the 4th line, and Latta needs to stay here, not get scratched/sent down.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Many of the Caps main guys, from the last 5 years, are not known as "cerebral" players. The young guns....Carlson, Varly, Schultz, ...etc, are not heady players. Some are downright dim, from where I sit. But you can't say that in Pro Sports. It's taboo, they are just "knuckleheads". This is why I've been asking for a transfusion. Who picks this many dense players?

Must drive Oates nutso.

Carlson has had ugly stretches but I don't think he's particularly stupid, or at least not at a level that I'd deem hopeless.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
-I'm completely on board with trading Green. That's probably the best route to a deeper defense and more balanced team. I'd bet there's come GM/coach combo out there that believes they can help him rediscover his dominant offensive form.

Its about damn time. :yo:

Edit: Of course the return will be no where near what I could have been.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Its about damn time. :yo:

Edit: Of course the return will be no where near what I could have been.

Return for Green would still be good though. Yes propably not near what it would have been few years back but there would still definitely be teams very interested in acquiring Green. Take Edmonton as an example. Green can log big minutes for them and instantly help their PP alot.

Best situation in my opinion would be trading Green along with maybe Neuvirth to Edmonton for Gagner+Petry with Edmonton maybe adding something more. Sure that gives us logjam at C but then they'd be adding a shut-down D, very solid 2C and they could still trade Laich/Brouwer away in another deal for another D-man and get rid of 1 big cap hit too.

Johansson-Gagner-Ovechkin
Erat-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Grabovski-Ward
Volpatti-Latta-Wilson
Laich-Beagle-Fehr

Switch Fehr to 2RW if Brouwer is the one traded.

Last edited:

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

Must drive Oates nutso.

yes, I know I wasnt alone...or even leading that charge a few years back.

I dont put Carlson in that group. Im not saying he is a cerebral player, just that a guy like 52 is worse than "not heady" in this area of his game.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Return for Green would still be good though. Yes propably not near what it would have been few years back but there would still definitely be teams very interested in acquiring Green. Take Edmonton as an example. Green can log big minutes for them and instantly help their PP alot.

Best situation in my opinion would be trading Green along with maybe Neuvirth to Edmonton for Gagner+Petry with Edmonton maybe adding something more. Sure that gives us logjam at C but then they'd be adding a shut-down D, very solid 2C and they could still trade Laich/Brouwer away in another deal for another D-man and get rid of 1 big cap hit too.

Johansson-Gagner-Ovechkin
Erat-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Grabovski-Ward
Volpatti-Latta-Wilson
Laich-Beagle-Fehr

Switch Fehr to 2RW if Brouwer is the one traded.

If I were EDM I wouldnt trade Gagner alone for that.....the return for 52 would be interesting. I have a hard time seeing a big return, or even a moderate one.....but who knows. Some people here still view him as a irreplaceable talent or someone that has a unique skillset thats in demand. I see a player who hesitates way too often, has moments (too often) where you really have no idea why he just tried something. He is awful on the boards...awful. I can live with the fact that guys can get around him from time to time....its his lack of compete or making/eliminating plays on the boards that I cant get over. Your top minute playing D cant be bad along the boards in his own end. There is a reason it gets dumped in on his so much....its effective

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If I were EDM I wouldnt trade Gagner alone for that.....the return for 52 would be interesting. I have a hard time seeing a big return, or even a moderate one.....but who knows. Some people here still view him as a irreplaceable talent or someone that has a unique skillset thats in demand. I see a player who hesitates way too often, has moments (too often) where you really have no idea why he just tried something. He is awful on the boards...awful. I can live with the fact that guys can get around him from time to time....its his lack of compete or making/eliminating plays on the boards that I cant get over. Your top minute playing D cant be bad along the boards in his own end. There is a reason it gets dumped in on his so much....its effective

Oilers would still be left with 2 very good shut-down D's in Ference and Smid, and pairing 1 of them with Green could work out really well for them.

They need to do something and acquiring top-pairing D in Green and potential starting goaltender in Neuvirth without giving up anyone of their big 4 would have to be tempting for them too.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Oilers would still be left with 2 very good shut-down D's in Ference and Smid, and pairing 1 of them with Green could work out really well for them.

They need to do something and acquiring top-pairing D in Green and potential starting goaltender in Neuvirth without giving up anyone of their big 4 would have to be tempting for them too.

Ive set in bold the problem with this.......

There was a time where 52 looked like he might be the next Leetch......as it turns out he is more a Ozolnish, and maybe even a poor mans version

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Ive set in bold the problem with this.......

There was a time where 52 looked like he might be the next Leetch......as it turns out he is more a Ozolnish, and maybe even a poor mans version

So you don't think Green would be a top-pairing D for EDM? :laugh:

They have Justin Schultz there now and he's having a terrible season. Who else they have?

Sure they can always try and acquire D like Weber or Pietrangelo but problem for them is that those deals start with 2 of their big 4 players. Green deal wouldn't necessarily require any of those moved. And maybe he would benefit from change of scenery. Edmonton would definitely be a good choice for him considering that they are really fast team with lots of offensive potential.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
So you don't think Green would be a top-pairing D for EDM? :laugh:

They have Justin Schultz there now and he's having a terrible season. Who else they have?

Sure they can always try and acquire D like Weber or Pietrangelo but problem for them is that those deals start with 2 of their big 4 players. Green deal wouldn't necessarily require any of those moved. And maybe he would benefit from change of scenery. Edmonton would definitely be a good choice for him considering that they are really fast team with lots of offensive potential.

I dont think he is a top pairing NHL defenseman.....so I wouldnt trade for him based on top pairing value and I woudnt pay him as a top pairing player, its that simple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad