Categories Draft Voting #1

Which team has the best chance to win in 2023-2024?

• Washington

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • Detroit

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Colorado

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • San Jose

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Dallas

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Toronto

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Arizona

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • NY Rangers

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • NY Islanders

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Columbus

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
SJS vs COL

this one I struggled with so yeah the vote disparity is wild to me, to me it was pretty close, ultimately went with Avs because I do think their firepower is just enough of a difference maker, MacKinnon in the playoffs is a stud, but so is Tkachuk. But the fact that it was a struggle for me despite MacK r1 vs Tkachuk R1 means SJS did a damn solid job of drafting. If Patches comes back strong then I'd probably change my vote.

-------------------------

DAL vs TOR

I straight up think that the gap between the teams in front of the goalies isn't as large as the goalie gap, not sure what else there is to say. There's some debate between the teams' skaters, but the goalie difference is very significant so logically I voted for Toronto.

I don't spite vote or vote favourites, hell everyone knows Panda and I get along great but I've voted against his teams multiple times and he's voted against mine multiple times.

Last edited:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
SJS vs COL

this one I struggled with so yeah the vote disparity is wild to me, to me it was pretty close, ultimately went with Avs because I do think their firepower is just enough of a difference maker, MacKinnon in the playoffs is a stud, but so is Tkachuk. But the fact that it was a struggle for me despite MacK r1 vs Tkachuk R1 means SJS did a damn solid job of drafting. If Patches comes back strong then I'd probably change my vote.

-------------------------

DAL vs TOR

I straight up think that the gap between the teams in front of the goalies isn't as large as the goalie gap, not sure what else there is to say. There's some debate between the teams' skaters, but the goalie difference is very significant so logically I voted for Toronto.

I don't spite vote or vote favourites, hell everyone knows Panda and I get along great but I've voted against his teams multiple times and he's voted against mine multiple times.
The vote disparity is insane to me. I don’t think there’s a way to argue it’s not at least close. I think my top line is getting massively underrated.

Makaveli

Killuminati
Jan 15, 2008
Toronto
The vote disparity is insane to me. I don’t think there’s a way to argue it’s not at least close. I think my top line is getting massively underrated.
I think the vote disparity is making it seem like its not close, but I can say for me it was actually really close. One of the tougher decisions I had to make in either voting thread.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I feel like everyone here knows my opinion of Beniers at this point in his career cause I said it last draft as well. I feel like he gets taken too early in these drafts. He's a really good 2C right now. So is Zegras. I still take Zegras right now over Beniers, and then there's MacKinnon vs Couture. Beniers also had a slower second half of the year, let's not forget.

Dunn-Zub vs. Toews-Burns edge Colorado for me.

Toews is the best defensemen in the group IMO, and I feel Zub is more effective as a 2nd pairing defensemen. Burns is more effective when he has an all around stud beside him (Slavin/Toews type). I'd like to see Dunn repeat this season before I fully buy in. When I'm drafting, I don't like taking guys who had outlier seasons.

Pacioretty in the top 6 is hard to read. Goaltending a wash for me.

As for Dallas vs. Toronto, there's no question that Dallas has the edge up front in terms of depth. Maybe I still don't give Stephenson enough credit, but I like the top 2C on Toronto more than Dallas. For a cup run, I have to take Crosby > Thompson and I have to take B. Tkachuk > any other winger on Dallas. I really like Maccelli (who produced at a higher rate than Beniers btw on a worse team).

Goaltending difference is larger than the difference up front. Defense is pretty equivalent iMO.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Most of these are a wash to me or close to.

So funny to see the disparity.

Like I did vote for Colorado for example (again close though) but 18-1 is hilarious.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I feel like everyone here knows my opinion of Beniers at this point in his career cause I said it last draft as well. I feel like he gets taken too early in these drafts. He's a really good 2C right now. So is Zegras. I still take Zegras right now over Beniers, and then there's MacKinnon vs Couture. Beniers also had a slower second half of the year, let's not forget.

Dunn-Zub vs. Toews-Burns edge Colorado for me.

Toews is the best defensemen in the group IMO, and I feel Zub is more effective as a 2nd pairing defensemen. Burns is more effective when he has an all around stud beside him (Slavin/Toews type). I'd like to see Dunn repeat this season before I fully buy in. When I'm drafting, I don't like taking guys who had outlier seasons.

Pacioretty in the top 6 is hard to read. Goaltending a wash for me.

As for Dallas vs. Toronto, there's no question that Dallas has the edge up front in terms of depth. Maybe I still don't give Stephenson enough credit, but I like the top 2C on Toronto more than Dallas. For a cup run, I have to take Crosby > Thompson and I have to take B. Tkachuk > any other winger on Dallas. I really like Maccelli (who produced at a higher rate than Beniers btw on a worse team).

Goaltending difference is larger than the difference up front. Defense is pretty equivalent iMO.
Slavin and Toews are nothing alike except they are left handed shot Dmen. Burns works best with someone whose best top 3 traits are defense. If you pair him with someone who jumps in the rush offensively, you are f***ed.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Slavin and Toews are nothing alike except they are left handed shot Dmen. Burns works best with someone whose best top 3 traits are defense. If you pair him with someone who jumps in the rush offensively, you are f***ed.
I think you’re way off but that’s all g

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think you’re way off but that’s all g
Do you mean about Burns? Cause that is absolutely true. His only two down seasons in SJ came when he was stapled to Ferraro and when he was stapled to Vlasic who decided he was an offensive D that year.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I think the vote disparity is making it seem like its not close, but I can say for me it was actually really close. One of the tougher decisions I had to make in either voting thread.
This for me, it was practically a draw, iirc there was only one harder matchup

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It wouldn’t matter anyway. There’s been 20 votes and you can’t change votes.

I’m still going to give my opinion though :laugh: I MUST BE HEARD!

But I’d also like to make sure to emphasize that there is ABSOLUTELY spite voting against me. I literally had that same pairing. Toews-Burns. This was LAST YEAR when Toews had a better season. I got roasted for that pairing. People literally voted against me for that pairing. Now it’s seen as a strength which is hilarious.
You always claim people spite vote against you, I really don’t think that’s the case. I legitimately had no idea that was even your team especially since I’ve seen you shit on couture so much. You just tend to grab guys who had outlier years as opposed to proven success which IMO is the problem. I also got shit on for having Pacioretty L2 in a 32 team draft…

"goalies dont matter"

"the goalie gap is why i cant vote for dallas"

MAKE IT MAKE SENSE

I have always said if your goalie has sub .900 it’s extremely likely I vote against you to be fair.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Yeah I mean I’m losing to a team with a far worse dcorps and pretty bad G but I’m not claiming spite votes, just that people suck

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
It wouldn’t matter anyway. There’s been 20 votes and you can’t change votes.

I’m still going to give my opinion though :laugh: I MUST BE HEARD!

But I’d also like to make sure to emphasize that there is ABSOLUTELY spite voting against me. I literally had that same pairing. Toews-Burns. This was LAST YEAR when Toews had a better season. I got roasted for that pairing. People literally voted against me for that pairing. Now it’s seen as a strength which is hilarious.
dude you got roasted because everyone thought burns was 100% washed due to his most recent seasons in San Jose

he just had a very good season in Carolina

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
dude you got roasted because everyone thought burns was 100% washed due to his most recent seasons in San Jose

he just had a very good season in Carolina
Burns had a better season in SJ in his last year than Toews did this year in COL and Toews had a better year for COL that year than Burns had in CAR.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Burns had a better season in SJ in his last year than Toews did this year in COL and Toews had a better year for COL that year than Burns had in CAR.

Are you trying to prove that your team is better or figure out why you are losing by a landslide and try adapting for next time?

Two very different questions and it seems you're stuck on the former.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I'm missing out on all this drama...

SJ lost because the D is horrific and Andersen isn't the type of goalie that can bail a team out

The one I don't understand is how the McDavid team beats the Leon team that badly
The other teams D is just as bad and Demko was worse last year. Let’s also not forgot that my forward depth is better two way and possession wise

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I'm missing out on all this drama...

SJ lost because the D is horrific and Andersen isn't the type of goalie that can bail a team out

The one I don't understand is how the McDavid team beats the Leon team that badly
I'm with you on that one too, I think a few of these matchups would be a lot closer in actual series than the voting indicates. But to be fair to voters, it's possible that a lot of us just predicted WAS/COL/TOR to win in 7 games, doesn't mean the teams they beat are bad at all.

Reactions: ujju2

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
So was Andersen and he was still better.
Demko had crazy splits pre and post injury, I don't think Andersen did.

Screenshot 2023-08-16 102615.png

Screenshot 2023-08-16 102646.png

I don't think anyone is out to get you SJS, in fact most people want you back in the discord lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad