Player Discussion Casey Mittelstadt (2017, 8th) - Signed, #37 - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I've always said it's about the evaluation process.
I could have worded as Mittelstadt is a candidate to play 2C and Krueger using methods that are only available in preseason to evaluate him.

Krueger was definitely evaluating him to see what he could handle. (Edited from my previous word salad)

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He can't play center in the NHL. He wasn't even playing center in his one year of college hockey. He's too weak and he's slow-ish, not real slow but he can't get put any distance between himself and whoever is chasing him. The question is do you send him to Rochester to develop as a center or move him to the wing.

He's really reminding me of Cody Hodgson more and more and that ain't good.

Reactions: Fearnot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He can't play center in the NHL. He wasn't even playing center in his one year of college hockey. He's too weak and he's slow-ish, not real slow but he can't get put any distance between himself and whoever is chasing him. The question is do you send him to Rochester to develop as a center or move him to the wing.

He's really reminding me of Cody Hodgson more and more and that ain't good.

Not true about his season at UM. He was a solid PP producer and had his time in the sun at the WJCs but he was very much playing in the middle at Minnesota.

So he had a debilitating congenital disorder like Hodgson too?

Why do I even bother reading this? So much bullshit in one post.

Last edited:

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Is it wrong to say that he might be the biggest factor in us making the playoffs or not?
Not at all because the way this team is built down the center we need him to get good and get good fast. We are wasting years trying to develop him at center in an environment not quite suitable to do so.

All kinds of wrong in what we are doing to Casey but if this team wants to succeed someone needs to step up into that 2C role and play it lights out giving us 2 complete lines.

He pretty much is the make or break reason for playoffs and only because Botterill has put him in that position at center with very little sheltering.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
What is interesting is at the draft Casey was touted as one of the if not the most skilled player in the draft.

What are the sabres doing here?

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
What is interesting is at the draft Casey was touted as one of the if not the most skilled player in the draft.

What are the sabres doing here?
Rushing him to the NHL in a counterintuitive measure to save face for one of the worst trades in franchise history. Casey is getting a lot of flack for a variety of reasons, not all of which are necessarily his fault. That's not to say he has delivered in any role his been placed in outside of his initial call-up over a year ago.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Rushing him to the NHL in a counterintuitive measure to save face for one of the worst trades in franchise history. Casey is getting a lot of flack for a variety of reasons, not all of which are necessarily his fault. That's not to say he has delivered in any role his been placed in outside of his initial call-up over a year ago.
Mitts didn’t start here last season to save face. That narrative grew in the 2nd half of the season when we spiraled down and the Blues surged up. A kind of retrofitted idea. What face saving needed to be done at the time Mitts was kept to start the year? Even after the season started, up until almost the half way point, we were one of the best teams in the NHL and the Blues were at the bottom.

Its amazing to me all the silly theories attached to Mitts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yes he was a very highly touted prospect. Even rated as one of the top prospects around the NHL before last year. I think some had him ranked #1.

Again, not by everyone. And he said “at the draft.” Plenty of folks had him outside of the top 10...including some of the folks who subsequently ranked him among The top prospects in the league...who subsequently downgraded him significantly.

People’s opinions on prospects change all the time. At the draft, the consensus for Casey was right around where we picked him, with some having him top 3, and some outside the top 10

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Again, not by everyone. And he said “at the draft.” Plenty of folks had him outside of the top 10...including some of the folks who subsequently ranked him among The top prospects in the league...who subsequently downgraded him significantly.

People’s opinions on prospects change all the time. At the draft, the consensus for Casey was right around where we picked him, with some having him top 3, and some outside the top 10

I don't remember seeing him ranked outside the top 10. I saw a lot of mock drafts where he went to Vegas @ #6, the lowest I saw was #8, and the highest I saw him at was #3.

At the time of the draft, I remember people saying if Mittelstadt develops well, we may have had the steal of the draft. This was before Pettersson went off this past year. Mittelstadt was touted as one of the most skilled players of the draft. I don't remember him being anywhere outside the top 10. Mittelstadt, was also considered at the top of the list of prospects not playing in the NHL.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've never seen Mittlestadt ranked #1 in any prospect rating, ever but dont let me become destroyer of narratives because I relish in the opportunity.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

"Not by everyone"

If you mean everyone as the entire world then no. If you mean the hockey world then yes.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
"Not by everyone"

If you mean everyone as the entire world then no. If you mean the hockey world then yes.

You are incorrect. Look at the rankings at the time of the draft, on these boards or in any sports publication. Very few had him in the top 5, many had him outside the top 10.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

"My preference is for highly skilled players with upside. I look for prospects with speed, skill and intelligence."

If I rated players only for their defensive acumen, good first pass and speed my #1 would look different, keyword being this rating is his preference (a singular preference). I mean sure you were right that someone rated him #1 but using Pronmen as your foothold to support your Mittlestadt argument rather than a general consensus is like standing on a mud hill hoping it doesn't rain.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Which is it, some or many had him outside the top 10?

Also, which sources had him outside the top 10?

Go to his prospect thread from around his draft time, there are a ton of links you can read. His red flags were well-noted, and plenty of people had him outside the top 10. I believe his consensus in Bob's ranking was 5 or 6.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
"My preference is for highly skilled players with upside. I look for prospects with speed, skill and intelligence."

If I rated players only for their defensive acumen, good first pass and speed my #1 would look different, keyword being this rating is his preference (a singular preference). I mean sure you were right that someone rated him #1 but using Pronmen as your foothold to support your Mittlestadt argument rather than a general consensus is like standing on a mud hill hoping it doesn't rain.
No argument being made with my post. Just showing you that you were wrong about him not being ranked #1 anywhere.

Its quite amazing though to watch you try to spin this into something else.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
There were worries about Casey's combine results. The pullups, which I don't care about, are what made the headlines but finishing dead last in the VO2 test was a bit concerning regarding his fitness level.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Mitts didn’t start here last season to save face. That narrative grew in the 2nd half of the season when we spiraled down and the Blues surged up. A kind of retrofitted idea. What face saving needed to be done at the time Mitts was kept to start the year? Even after the season started, up until almost the half way point, we were one of the best teams in the NHL and the Blues were at the bottom.

Its amazing to me all the silly theories attached to Mitts.

That narrative didn't arise from the Blues resurgence.

It was there from the start of the season when Casey made the NHL roster despite looking out of shape and undeserving of making it out of camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce