Casey Cizikas

Ultimate Warrior

Mar 3, 2004
Looking for some answers on this kid. He was just named to the Canadian WJC team and is currently the captain of the best team in the OHL. He was a very high selection in the OHL priority draft and I was just curious as to what his upside is at the pro level.

Does he project as a supreme defensive forward grinder type? - (John Madden in his prime)

Will his offensive capabilities transfer over to the NHL and maybe he becomes a poor mans Mike Richards?

From what I understand and correct me if I'm wrong, is that he projects to be more of a heart and soul 3rd line player even though he has been putting up some nice point totals in the OHL.

Last, how is his skating and what is his best quality offensively? Vision, shot, stickhandling, etc...

JeffYear92*

I can see him as a 30-30 guy in the NHL.

Most likely will be a captain before his career is over as well.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think you're severely overrating his offensive potential. He's barely a 30-30 guy in the OHL. He just hasn't shown the top-end offensively ability to suggest 30 goals in the NHL is a possibility.

That said, I think he can end up being a 3rd/4th liner for many years, who can chip in offensively with 10 to 15 goals, and man his team's PK unit and be counted on as the defensive center to line up against the other team's top lines.

Barzilla

Sep 16, 2009
Dirty O

whoa, i do not see a 30-30 guy in the NHL. If he even makes it to the NHL, i see him being more of a grinder, yeah i guess John Madden isnt an awful comparison. Hes still going to be a valuable forward to an organization.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
He's fought through some serious adversity, it would not surprise me at all to see him turn out to be a solid third liner. He's more talented than people give him credit for, he plays well within himself IMO.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
High end potential would be Mike Peca, not that I expect him to reach that high

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
I just read how he was charged with manslaughter because he hit this Castillo kid with a "pile-driver" (which im guessing is a move to take someone down) and killed the guy with a head injury.

:amazed:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
This is the only warning everyone gets. Keep comments regarding Cizikas and his manslaughter charge clean and appropriate. Idiotic comments made in poor taste will be treated as such.

RoyBoyCoy

Habs and Rugby
Feb 17, 2008
Lennoxville, QC
I just read how he was charged with manslaughter because he hit this Castillo kid with a "pile-driver" (which im guessing is a move to take someone down) and killed the guy with a head injury.

:amazed:

Pretty sure it happened in a rugby game. During that whole fiasco they didn't specifically say who it was. But they did release his birthday, hometown and said he was a "high OHL draft pick"... So it wasn't hard to narrow it down to him. I don't know if they ever came out and said it was him, but that's who my amateur detective work got me :laugh: But I know **** can happened during rugby games :(, especially if someone doesn't know how to take a tackle properly. I wouldn't think it was mal-intent.

As per his NHL potential, I don't see him as much more than a 4th liner. Pretty meat and potato playing style, maybe a 15-15 guy at his peak.

EDIT: Just saw Mr. Canucklehead's warning. I hope I'm well within the rules

HyeDray

Jul 13, 2006
New Hyde Park, NY
Yep — it was off the ice — a rugby game.

From what I have read it was accidental, and a terrible time for Cizikas. There was some thought the kid could crack the first round, but the entire Manslaughter incident and case I believe took its toll on him during his draft year. He fell to the Islanders — 5th round I think.

Last season he put up strong numbers as his troubles seem to be slipping away. This year he seems to be exceeding expectations, and excelling even more.

The Islander are in need of talented players — and Cizikas could be a real late round gem.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
High end potential would be Mike Peca, not that I expect him to reach that high

Between Madden and Peca, I hope he reaches the Peca level but I would not mind the Madden potential either. I thinnk he will definetly play in the NHL though, he seems to have the drive to succeed.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
The thing about Cizikas (or any offensive player who plays in Dave Cameron's system in Mississauga) is that you wonder if there's more offensive potential in him at the next level, than we're seeing statistically.

I've seen a lot of Cizikas and he's a tremendous player. He has more offensive ability than people give him credit for. He can be creative with the puck and he's just a solid all around offensive player. For that matter, he's just a solid all around player in general. Really doesn't have a weakness.

There are a lot of guys who come through the OHL like Cizikas though. Solid all around players who just never find a niche at the NHL level. It'll be interesting to see if he can separate himself from that group of "all around good players" who try to crack the league. Personally, I think he'll be an NHL player and I think he'll be the type of guy who consistently hits that 40 point plateau, while anchoring your PK unit and serving as a leader in the dressing room.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Between Madden and Peca, I hope he reaches the Peca level but I would not mind the Madden potential either. I thinnk he will definetly play in the NHL though, he seems to have the drive to succeed.

The Isles are loading up on talented big forwards over 6'1 atleast with prospects like Lee, Ullstrom, Martin, Jonnseau, Petrov, Nelson, Kabanov, Bailey to name a few.Cizakas is going to have some big and talented kids to beat out for that 3rd 4th line center one day. Keep in the mind the Isles are working under the league min as far as the cap and one would think one day Wang and co may open the check book and sign some URFA to play with budding kids like Tavares, Okposo, Bailey, Nino, #1 in 2011, Kabanov, Nelson, Hamonic, Dehaan, Macdonald, Donovan, Kessel and company.

basically the worm has to turn one day, Cizakas seems to work his butt off unlike some kids who feel entitled by draft position so who the heck knows what the end result is

Just another decent talented kid the Isles plucked in the mid rounds since the cupboard was dry starting in 2006. Jankowski did a fine job now the Habs will be enjoying his skill while the NYI rely on Garth Snow and the guy at the water cooler for future draftees.

Tigers1992

Dec 13, 2009
I wouldnt be shocked to see him turn into a Manny Malhotra style of player, with the potential to put in 20 on the third line.

HemskyToHall*

why is peca being compared to every defense-first grinder type prospect? Do you know how good he was defensively?

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
The thing about Cizikas (or any offensive player who plays in Dave Cameron's system in Mississauga) is that you wonder if there's more offensive potential in him at the next level, than we're seeing statistically.

I've seen a lot of Cizikas and he's a tremendous player. He has more offensive ability than people give him credit for. He can be creative with the puck and he's just a solid all around offensive player. For that matter, he's just a solid all around player in general. Really doesn't have a weakness.

There are a lot of guys who come through the OHL like Cizikas though. Solid all around players who just never find a niche at the NHL level. It'll be interesting to see if he can separate himself from that group of "all around good players" who try to crack the league. Personally, I think he'll be an NHL player and I think he'll be the type of guy who consistently hits that 40 point plateau, while anchoring your PK unit and serving as a leader in the dressing room.

Very true.

4Isles4*

KIDs been through alot and has come along way...He has great energy and great character and hes tough and has some good offensive skills....Isles future 3rd line centre PK leader but may turn out to be one of the leages best 3rd line/PK guys.....

Love this KID

He was a projected late 1st too early 2nd rounder but for obvious reasons he was chossen later

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Cizikas is a hard player to get a read on.

For two years he played in the OHL with the legal problems hanging over his head, not to mention his own feelings about the incident.

Before last season the legal portion was resolved, and he put up much better numbers. This season, he is one of the best players on one of the best teams.

But...he is also in his 4th full season. So, are we seeing a player who is finally showing his potential, or merely a mediocre prospect who has outgrown this level?

As an Islanders fan, I hope the former. I am sure the Isles will sign him next year and we will see how he does in the AHL.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Pretty sure it happened in a rugby game. During that whole fiasco they didn't specifically say who it was. But they did release his birthday, hometown and said he was a "high OHL draft pick"... So it wasn't hard to narrow it down to him. I don't know if they ever came out and said it was him, but that's who my amateur detective work got me :laugh: But I know **** can happened during rugby games :(, especially if someone doesn't know how to take a tackle properly. I wouldn't think it was mal-intent.
Yeah. I went to Castillo's high school and was only one year ahead of him, and it was Cizakis. I know it was accidental, but it wasn't a tackle. It was off to the side away from the play, so it wasn't a case of Castillo not taking a tackle properly. He was dropped on his head.

Anyways, good to see him move past it and continue on with hockey.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The thing about Cizikas (or any offensive player who plays in Dave Cameron's system in Mississauga) is that you wonder if there's more offensive potential in him at the next level, than we're seeing statistically. room.

Agree with this. He can be a 30-30 guy I think given the opportunity, too bad that it was the friggin Isles who drafted him. I'm sad that he's gonna be gone to the Juniors for the next few weeks so we'll miss him in Mississauga and the coach is gone too. But you guys are assuming that since he's this gritty captain figure who doesn't score a tonne in the OHL, he'll end up being a 3rd liner. His scoring has actually been pretty good in Mississauga and I think under a different system which wasn't so tight defensively, it could be higher and the same can be said for Shugg or Smith-Pelley. Rob Flick on Mississauga might fit that potential 3rd liner stereotype but Cizikas should be aiming for higher.

Isles have completely ballsed it up with Bailey at the moment although he has the talent to recover and we all know the Tavares story so I hope they don't screw up this centre as well. But he is developing in the right place at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad