Carter trade

jacketman10

May 18, 2010
Hilliard, OH
I was just starting to get into hockey heavy around the time of this trade. I just remember how bad it was as soon as Carter started crying like an ass. Ofc the 1st was a top ten pick. Just wonder who thought it was good when it initially went down?

Sorry to bring it up but getting Jake back made me wonder about his first trade. I really liked Jake but again didn't know all that much about much back then.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I was just starting to get into hockey heavy around the time of this trade. I just remember how bad it was as soon as Carter started crying like an ass. Ofc the 1st was a top ten pick. Just wonder who thought it was good when it initially went down?

Sorry to bring it up but getting Jake back made me wonder about his first trade. I really liked Jake but again didn't know all that much about much back then.
Questioned getting a goal scoring center for a goal scoring winger especially at the cost of Jake and then seeing Couts fall to 8 in that draft was very upsetting.
It was likely the best for Jakes career at the time to learn from Jagr but it was at the Blue Jackets expense

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
I had mixed reactions when I first learned of the trade. I disliked giving up Voracek and a first round pick.

When I found out about Carter not responding to people reaching out, and the business about him not wanting to be traded, I knew it wouldn't end well.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I was just stunned at the lack of due diligence by the CBJ brass - or the arrogance that the player would just fall in line and it wouldn't matter.

This.

I liked the trade in theory. Felt like CBJ were growing up in a way, being able to trade some youth for an in prime stud to help compete immediately.

But that theory was very very brief because the reports of Carter's unhappiness felt like they arrived about 10 seconds after the trade.

I am I'm a minority when it comes to Carter ire. I really never held any ill will (well much). If I remember right the 10 yr extension he signed with Philly hadn't even kicked in yet when they traded him and by all accounts the CBJ were told by Carter's camp don't do it.

They did it anyway.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
GM Howson didn't vet through the situation very well. Carter had just signed a 10 year deal with the Flyers along with his best buddy Richards. It was a no trade contract-except for the first year. Carter got completely blindsided by the deal.

Did Carter behave appropriately while he was in Columbus? No. Did the GM fail miserably in examining all aspects of the trade? Yes.

The moral of the story to me. When someone has just signed a long term deal with another team, don't trade for him unless you are almost certain that he will ultimately be OK with it. Howson rolled the dice and they came up snake eyes.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
Howson was under pressure by Mike Priest to do the deal. Priest had a major hard on for the player and didn’t think it through at all. Howson took a lot of blame for that debacle but it was all Priest and he was able to remain in the shadows, unscathed.
Interesting.. I never knew that angle. I was a too young to care about / understand transaction details back then and I haven't cared to really look back at that deal because it would hurt to read about lol. Had no idea Priest ever had that much a voice in terms of hockey stuff. Was the former administration Howson/Priest a la Jarmo/JD or was Priest typically not making those calls?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Interesting.. I never knew that angle. I was a too young to care about / understand transaction details back then and I haven't cared to really look back at that deal because it would hurt to read about lol. Had no idea Priest ever had that much a voice in terms of hockey stuff. Was the former administration Howson/Priest a la Jarmo/JD or was Priest typically not making those calls?

yes Priest was basically in the role JD is in now….his keys were taken away after the Carter fiasco and Craig Patrick was brought in as an adviser in late 2011 to straighten out the franchise and clean up his mess. JD was brought in soon after that

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I didn’t like the trade because I was on the Jake bandwagon big-time. But I also gave C*rt*r the benefit of the doubt during that period when he couldn’t be reached before he reported here. The part about his signing long-term at same time as Richards was well-known so sure there was some coming to grips he needed to do.

But after just a couple games it became clear something was amiss. As time went on it became obvious he had quit and, reasonable explanation or no, I’ve not forgiven him. (Not that he cares.)

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I didn’t like the trade because I was on the Jake bandwagon big-time. But I also gave C*rt*r the benefit of the doubt during that period when he couldn’t be reached before he reported here. The part about his signing long-term at same time as Richards was well-known so sure there was some coming to grips he needed to do.

But after just a couple games it became clear something was amiss. As time went on it became obvious he had quit and, reasonable explanation or no, I’ve not forgiven him. (Not that he cares.)
Pretty much exactly this for me. I kind of figured it would be a shock for the guy but that he would ultimately be able to be a professional about it and contribute.

My stated prerequisite for forgiving him was that Jack Johnson had to win a Cup with us. That's obviously not going to happen. So, well, there you go.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks for the insight on it fellas. Felt like Priest should have never had a say. Didn't seem very bright to me.
Even then, if you have the opportunity to obtain a top line center like Carter you almost always have to. It's such a rare and valuable skillset.

Based upon prevailing player culture and sentiment at the time, it was right for Columbus to assume Carter would go along with it. Players refusing to report or demanding a trade, while not unheard of, were typically fringe cases and certainly not to be expected.

In the end, it came down to Holmgren not being forthcoming with either the Jackets or Carter and then Carter acting outside of expected norms. If it were that serious of an issue for him, he should have refused to report. The Jackets would then have likely voided his contract and lobbied to have the trade un-done and succeeded based on the few other cases of players who refused to report following trades. Then Carter and Holmgren could rectify the situation with either Philadelphia maintaining Carter's rights and renegotiating his contract or relinquishing his rights in which case he becomes a UFA and can sign for likely the same amount somewhere else.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Even then, if you have the opportunity to obtain a top line center like Carter you almost always have to. It's such a rare and valuable skillset.

Based upon prevailing player culture and sentiment at the time, it was right for Columbus to assume Carter would go along with it. Players refusing to report or demanding a trade, while not unheard of, were typically fringe cases and certainly not to be expected.

In the end, it came down to Holmgren not being forthcoming with either the Jackets or Carter and then Carter acting outside of expected norms. If it were that serious of an issue for him, he should have refused to report. The Jackets would then have likely voided his contract and lobbied to have the trade un-done and succeeded based on the few other cases of players who refused to report following trades. Then Carter and Holmgren could rectify the situation with either Philadelphia maintaining Carter's rights and renegotiating his contract or relinquishing his rights in which case he becomes a UFA and can sign for likely the same amount somewhere else.
And that is why The Former #7 can go f*** himself.

Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Carter had just signed an 11 year contract to stay where he wanted to be. They just came off game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. We were the worst team in the league, From my source (friend of Hejda’s agent) Carter’s camp said don’t do it, he doesn’t want to go there…..Howson chose not to do it but Priest said to do it. So I do t blame Carter at all, I blame management. Sure he could have handled it better, but he’s a kid that just got screwed over by the flyers for trading him before his no trade kicked in and essentially traded to Siberia.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Carter had just signed an 11 year contract to stay where he wanted to be. They just came off game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals. We were the worst team in the league, From my source (friend of Hejda’s agent) Carter’s camp said don’t do it, he doesn’t want to go there…..Howson chose not to do it but Priest said to do it. So I do t blame Carter at all, I blame management. Sure he could have handled it better, but he’s a kid that just got screwed over by the flyers for trading him before his no trade kicked in and essentially traded to Siberia.

I think there is ample blame to go around.
I have no doubt the CBJ had concerns about Carter. THere are plenty of back channels teams can use to due diligence on the player, so I do agree the CBJ likely knew he wouldn't be happy.
I do think Carter is a douce, I do think Philly screwed him over and I do think the CBJ should have done more diligence. In the end the only team that ended up happy was the Kings.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

That is my thought on Eichel now. Trade for him, let him sit out a year, team still tanks and get ready for 2022-23.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio

I liked the trade until it began falling apart.

As a day 1 fan and STH, the Jackets had been searching for a 1C since their inception. I had heard all of the discussion about how it was damn near impossible to get a top line center. Dougie Mac and Howson convinced me it was unlikely the Jackets would ever get one unless they won the lottery.

I thought a 1st line with Carter and Nash would be deadly.

Then Carter hid out at the Jersey Shore.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
That is my thought on Eichel now. Trade for him, let him sit out a year, team still tanks and get ready for 2022-23.
I think Eichel would be a huge success with the right team, one with a winning culture and a strong leadership group like Boston or the Islanders.

I don't want a guy, no matter how talented who comes from a culture of losing. The CBJ doesn't have a strong enough leadership group any more.

FWIW - it's amazing how Lou Lamoriello and Barry Trotz have quickly turned the Islanders from a weak operation into a team with a winning culture and strong leadership group.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Howson was under pressure by Mike Priest to do the deal. Priest had a major hard on for the player and didn’t think it through at all. Howson took a lot of blame for that debacle but it was all Priest and he was able to remain in the shadows, unscathed.

I'll take you guys at your words/sources for this.

Howson really shouldn't get the blame then. He was a GM in a weak position with his job on the line and his superiors told him to pull the trigger.

I recant all negative I have said about Howson. He needs to ditch the AHL Presidency and come back as GM and replace Jarmo.:naughty:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio

That is a very interesting take. Thanks for putting it out there. In my opinion, ownership needed to establish the monetary expectations and then stay the hell out of it. Your story explains a lot to me.

Sean Couturier
Center
Born Dec 7 1992 -- Phoenix, AZ
Height 6.03 -- Weight 211 -- Shoots L
Selected by Philadelphia Flyers round 1 #8 overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008-09 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 58 9 22 31 14 19 1 7 8 8
2009-10 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 68 41 55 96 47 14 10 8 18 18
2010-11 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 58 36 60 96 36 10 6 5 11 14
2011-12 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 77 13 14 27 14 11 3 1 4 2
2012-13 Adirondack Phantoms AHL 31 10 18 28 16 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 46 4 11 15 10 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 82 13 26 39 45 7 0 0 0 6
2014-15 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 82 15 22 37 28 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 63 11 28 39 30 1 0 0 0 0
2016-17 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 66 14 20 34 33 -- -- -- -- --
2017-18 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 82 31 45 76 31 5 5 4 9 2
2018-19 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 80 33 43 76 34 -- -- -- -- -
-
2019-20 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 69 22 37 59 30 15 2 7 9 16
2020-21 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 45 18 23 41 8 -- -- -- -- --
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NHL Totals 692 174 269 443 263 39 10 12 22 26

And had we just kept Voracek and drafted Couturier look what he did in 2018 & 2019 - we wouldn't have needed to go all in on Duchy. Bread Couts Voracek would have been so much fun to watch. Mike frkn Priest.. and who remains.. Mike frkn Priest

Last edited:
Reactions: DJA and MoeBartoli

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad