Carter Ashton VS. Eric Tangradi

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm a tri-city fan but I don't like Ashton. When he has the puck he's amazing, but without the puck he gives the impression that he doesn't care. For a "power forward" he isn't very physically imposing, nor does he backcheck or hustle very much

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I'm a tri-city fan but I don't like Ashton. When he has the puck he's amazing, but without the puck he gives the impression that he doesn't care. For a "power forward" he isn't very physically imposing, nor does he backcheck or hustle very much

Exact same feelings I get.

When he wants to dominate a junior game, he can. He's scary good when he wants to be. When he's uninterested he's flat out awful.

ThundaLion

Jun 19, 2008
North Vancouver

I saw him once live and that was my thoughts as well. Playoff game too and he showed little effort.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Very comparable players in terms of the type of role they play.

I think Tangradi has the edge on upside if he puts it all together just because he has a bigger frame and can be more dominant physically.

Ashton is a good player at the junior level and I think he's a player, but it remains to be seen if he'll be a legit NHLer, wheras Tangradi is pretty much a sure thing.

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
Tangradi because Ashton has a baby face ;)

carter-ashton-15-nhl.jpg
88715693.jpg

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
The only thing Ashton has on Tangradi now is a bit more speed and that he plays a full power forward game.

One of the things Tagradi has been working on since turning pro is realizing that he needs to be more of a pure power forward at the NHL level (whereas he could get away with being a pure skill guy in the OHL if he wanted to). He's done a very good job so far in getting adjusted to that role, and we're expecting a breakout season this year for him -- whether it's being one of the top handful of forwards in the AHL or establishing himself as a full-time top-6 or top-9 NHLer.

The other thing Tangradi has is incredible leadership ability and locker room presence. He can be both a vocal leader there and also a guy who can keep things loose. He has taken on a leadership role, and now longer acting like a kid in awe of the men older than him.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
from what i remember at the WJC's Carter Ashton was an absolute beast....i predict he becomes a sick NHLER, like im talking up there in the higher tiers of hockey players

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I don't get the Tangradi love, he's just another Luca Caputi IMO, *MAYBE* a Troy Brouwer. I see him as a borderline NHLer with a shot at becoming a decent 3rd liner, but nothing more.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't get the Tangradi love, he's just another Luca Caputi IMO, *MAYBE* a Troy Brouwer. I see him as a borderline NHLer with a shot at becoming a decent 3rd liner, but nothing more.

I've heard the Tangradi-Caputi comparison from you before and it's not any more applicabe now than it was then.

And there's a huge variance between Brouwer & Caputi. One is a decent AHLer, and the other one is a 20 goal scoring physical presence in the NHL.

I don't think the Brouwer comparison is accurate either, although Tangradi could have a similar impact: be a 20 goal scoring power forward who can play on a first or second line as a compliment to other top players, and be a net-front presence on both even strength & PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad