Oct 16, 2013
I'd love to win this one

but let's not put the

cart before the bl

giphy.gif

get-out.gif

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So yeah, I know how to log in. And I've been watching games and lurking on the boards. Honestly, I don't understand at least half of what's going on here these days, so I've basically stayed out of it.

Which is pretty much how I feel about the Canes. I have no idea what's going on. In over 40 seasons of watching the Whaler/Canes, I can't recall a more odd season. I mean, a solid argument can be made that the coach should be fired, but then you look at the roster (especially up front), look at the division we're in, look at Scott Darling's stats, and you could argue that he's doing the job of his life keeping us in contention.

I have no idea what to expect from one night to the next. We've been really bad. We've been really good. We wrote off Cam, then he saved our bacon. Our Corsi says we should be better than we are, but they "eye test" says we should be worse. The "loser point" sure helps us, but the lack of regulation/overtime wins could kill us in a tiebreaker.

In the end, I think between the goaltending mess and the stacked division, the odds are against us making the post-season. I don't like counting on Cam to keep up his current pace or Darling to get his crap together. If RF is alive, and that's a big "if" as far as I can tell, I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on a career backup goalie (Leighton and Montoya have already been moved) just to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle long enough to have one of Cam/Darling solidify themselves.

Whatever this team is, and I still have no idea halfway through the season, I think it would be a shame not to at least *try* to shore up some issues to sneak into the playoffs. But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
Well I have to put up some drywall in the basement, tonight might be a good night to do that instead of watching this one
Not sure if serious. If so, do you do your own mudding?

I want to finish the insulation and drywall in my garage (they only did the walls that face the house), but I have no confidence in my ability to make a tape line disappear.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

I want to finish the insulation and drywall in my garage (they only did the walls that face the house), but I have no confidence in my ability to make a tape line disappear.
Most people you pay to do it suck at it too.

It's not too difficult. Just watch several youtube videos and take your time.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015

I can, although I'm not that great at it. I might have someone come in to finish it after I've gotten it all put up as hanging is an easy job and I have a couple friends who are professional drywallers. Jdowling is right about watching a couple videos to get the gist of the mud is easy enough. From there it's just practice.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Francis gets a lot of crap, but TT's got 33 points in 41 games and we nabbed him and Bickell for a 2nd and 3rd. Not to mention the numbers he got our young D to sign for.

Yeah, he hasn't had a blockbuster, but if he keeps making small deals like that, I don't really see a need to make one.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I have finished 2 separate basements on previous homes, a bonus room over a garage, a wine cellar as well as helped friends with drywall over the years. Biggest mistake I made early on was too much sanding early in the process. Barely sanding (sometimes not sanding at all) after the first coat made it so much easier to not "sand through" or have tape showing. Then just feather out further and further and sand away.

That said, while I don't mind mudding and taping, I absolutely HATED the sanding. The last time I had a project, I did the hanging and just hired out the mudding and taping simply because they were much faster than me and I didn't have to sand.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sometimes it's just worth it to pay professionals. Just make sure you vet the person/business. There are just way too many fly by night businesses who take short cuts and do shoddy work, and I'm like Peter Karmanos when it comes to spending my money, so I only hire people when it comes to electricity (don't want to electrocute myself or burn down the house) and crawling under the house/in the attic (f*** spiders and cockroaches!).

Francis gets a lot of crap, but TT's got 33 points in 41 games and we nabbed him and Bickell for a 2nd and 3rd. Not to mention the numbers he got our young D to sign for.

Yeah, he hasn't had a blockbuster, but if he keeps making small deals like that, I don't really see a need to make one.
Here's to hoping he can take a flyer on Carey Price at 50% for a 7th rounder and Darling.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm pretty much the same way in terms of not wanting to spend money for other people to do stuff, but I've backed off some as I've gotten older. I do most stuff around the house myself. Electrical work is pretty straightforward and easy, as I've wired complete rooms, put in sub panels, etc...but I do understand why people shy away from it. A couple of weeks ago, I put in some new lights in the dining room that my wife wanted so I cut a hole in drywall in the closet (underneath the steps) to run the wire. What do I find? An electrical box that the builder just sheet rocked over with live wires in it. I guess the good news is I didn't have to go into the crawl space to run the wires and I now have an extra socket. :laugh:

I stay off of roofs now and don't mess with natural gas. Pretty much anything else I try to take care of.

Edit: One of the more nerve wracking wiring jobs I did was years back when we bought a hot tub and I ran the 220V for the hot tub and wired up the GFCI. I probably checked it 10 times to make sure it was right before getting in the tub.

Last edited:

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm pretty much the same way in terms of not wanting to spend money for other people to do stuff, but I've backed off some as I've gotten older. I do most stuff around the house myself. Electrical work is pretty straightforward and easy, as I've wired complete rooms, put in sub panels, etc...but I do understand why people shy away from it. A couple of weeks ago, I put in some new lights in the dining room that my wife wanted so I cut a hole in drywall in the closet (underneath the steps) to run the wire. What do I find? An electrical box that the builder just sheet rocked over with live wires in it. I guess the good news is I didn't have to go into the crawl space to run the wires and I now have an extra socket. :laugh:

I stay off of roofs now and don't mess with natural gas. Pretty much anything else I try to take care of.
Forgot about roofs. Roofing is the worst. I helped a friend's father roof a house one summer while in college. Talk about backbreaking work. Never again. And it's one of the most expensive parts of owning a home. Not looking forward to paying for it when the time comes to replace mine.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Prediction. The Kucherov Stamkos line is going to score at least 2 goals to start the 1st period solely because we aren't using the Slavin-Pesce combo to shut them down. Peters will realize his mistake and put the defense back into the Kineteco Blendomatic 7000 and Slavin & Pesce will be a pairing again to start the 2nd period and will shut down Kucherov & Stamkos the rest of the game.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Prediction. The Kucherov Stamkos line is going to score at least 2 goals to start the 1st period solely because we aren't using the Slavin-Pesce combo to shut them down. Peters will realize his mistake and put the defense back into the Kineteco Blendomatic 7000 and Slavin & Pesce will be a pairing again to start the 2nd period and will shut down Kucherov & Stamkos the rest of the game.

That's like predicting the sun will come up.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad