Confirmed with Link: Carpenter to CGY for a 24 5th

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Good luck Carpy!

Flames fans will not be disappointed. Carpenter is a perfect 4th line center.
He plays physical, wins faceoffs, and PKs.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I think he fits CGY and what they might need for a little grit. A 5th is reasonable.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
lotto ticket for a player with no future here, would've been nice if it was this year or next but it is what it is, at least they got some value for him

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Davidson seems confident he’s gonna be here a while.
I know it’s a late pick but to push it to 2024.
I kind of feel the same way with the 2nd 1st rounder from Tampa.
Best team right now but they are old and expensive. 2 full years from now in that division 1 or 2 impactful (Hedman) injuries could see them on the outside. If that happened and the balls fell right the 2nd 1st to Chicago could be in 2025.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Davidson seems confident he’s gonna be here a while.
I know it’s a late pick but to push it to 2024.
I kind of feel the same way with the 2nd 1st rounder from Tampa.
Best team right now but they are old and expensive. 2 full years from now in that division 1 or 2 impactful (Hedman) injuries could see them on the outside. If that happened and the balls fell right the 2nd 1st to Chicago could be in 2025.
based on the press conference he had when they hired him to be the guy permanently he's got at least 4-5 years to build what he wants...he almost said 7 years at the conference, doubt thats the contract length but sounded like someone assured of job security

Reactions: Space umpire

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Good luck Carpy!

Flames fans will not be disappointed. Carpenter is a perfect 4th line center.
He plays physical, wins faceoffs, and PKs.
Yep... despite all the bellyaching we heard from folks here, Carpy is a solid veteran - despite an abundance of 3rd and 4th liners in the Hawks system no youngster managed to displace him. He should fit into the Flames line-up quite nicely.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Yep... despite all the bellyaching we heard from folks here, Carpy is a solid veteran - despite an abundance of 3rd and 4th liners in the Hawks system no youngster managed to displace him. He should fit into the Flames line-up quite nicely.
one of stan's better moves, didn't cost assets other than cap space to add to the team and the contract was reasonable value, they just weren't a good team during his three years here but he's a solid 4th line player

Reactions: Pertti and BobbyJet

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I'll be willing to bet that Carpenter is a healthy scratch more often than not in Calgary. Our bottom 6 pieces are scraps for other teams.
Kampf went on to having a better year and more of a 3rd line center role for Toronto.

I liked Carpenter his first year but no his speed was a poor factor on the PK. He's an adequate only 4th liner and if they need it, it helps.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Kampf went on to having a better year and more of a 3rd line center role for Toronto.

I liked Carpenter his first year but no his speed was a poor factor on the PK. He's an adequate only 4th liner and if they need it, it helps.
I meant our bottom 6 pieces this year.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I don't think Carpenter will be a scratch. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy as a role player on the 4th line. He's physical and he works hard.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I don't think Carpenter will be a scratch. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the guy as a role player on the 4th line. He's physical and he works hard.
Nothing wrong with him....on one of the worst teams in the league with no depth.

He'll play, I just dont see him being a regular 4th liner in CGY.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Nothing wrong with him....on one of the worst teams in the league with no depth.

He'll play, I just dont see him being a regular 4th liner in CGY.

I don't get the implication. He's a role player. Brandon Bollig was a significantly worse player but played 82 regular season games and 15 playoff games for a great Hawks team that went to the WCF. Calgary probably has more talented players on their farm team than Carpenter. We do too. It's not always about talent. It's about a specific element you bring to the team. When Carpenter is on the ice, he was going to battle for every inch of ice. He commits to his role. You need guys like that and a lot of tweeners who are more talented than Carpenter can't or won't commit to playing that way.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I don't get the implication. He's a role player. Brandon Bollig was a significantly worse player but played 82 regular season games and 15 playoff games for a great Hawks team that went to the WCF. Calgary probably has more talented players on their farm team than Carpenter. We do too. It's not always about talent. It's about a specific element you bring to the team. When Carpenter is on the ice, he was going to battle for every inch of ice. He commits to his role. You need guys like that and a lot of tweeners who are more talented than Carpenter can't or won't commit to playing that way.
Coaches fall in love with plugs. Q did with Bollig. Sutter is going to adore a guy like Carpenter.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Coaches fall in love with plugs. Q did with Bollig. Sutter is going to adore a guy like Carpenter.

Good coaches, on SC-winning teams have "plugs" in their lineups. Barclay Goodrow is not a good player. He's a two-time SC champ. Kyle Clifford is not a good player. He played all but 2 games of LA's 2014 Cup run. Carter Rowney played 20 of 25 games for PIT on their 2nd of back-to-back Cups. Role players that commit to their roles get spots on good teams. They always have and they likely always will.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Calgary already has a bunch of role players, who are better than Ryan Carpenter. Bollig was an enforcer of sorts, when that was a thing, same with Clifford who you mentioned in another post. Carpenter isn't an enforcer, isn't amazing defensively, and is a black hole offensively. They have those types of players in spades. Carpenter will probably be their 13th forward, unless injuries hit, which is why they got him.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Good coaches, on SC-winning teams have "plugs" in their lineups. Barclay Goodrow is not a good player. He's a two-time SC champ. Kyle Clifford is not a good player. He played all but 2 games of LA's 2014 Cup run. Carter Rowney played 20 of 25 games for PIT on their 2nd of back-to-back Cups. Role players that commit to their roles get spots on good teams. They always have and they likely always will.
Barclay Goodrow isn't a plug. Bollig was garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad