Carolina using 3rd overall pick for Stall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
With the new CBA, teams will have to be imaginative to keep their young players when they will reach free agency at age 27. For this reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina pick Staal with their 3rd overall pick, even if Anaheim management doesn't use their pick to select Johnson. Having two brothers on the same team may worth more for Carolina than having an other center or an additionnal big winger. And anyway, picking the guy ranked 7th with the 3rd overall pick wouldn't be that much of a surprised, considering Carolina needs at the blue line.

Is my assumption making sence?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
If they were going to pick Staal then im pretty sure they would trade there pick down to the 5th or 6th overall pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Kafka said:

if they want stall they might be smarter trading with a team who is picking 5-7 and get something in the deal.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I agree with the idea of trading down two spots... but this not a fantasy hockey league. I don't recall a team trading its 3rd pick down two picks..... Florida traded down three years ago to select Bouwmeester, but they already knew he would be still available at that place available.

Staal is probably the 2nd best D-man of the draft.

Anyway, we'll see. ;-)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Kafka said:
I agree with the idea of trading down two spots... but this not a fantasy hockey league. I don't recall a team trading its 3rd pick down two picks..... Florida traded down three years ago to select Bouwmeester, but they already knew he would be still available at that place available.

Montreal might want a certain player, to ensure they get that player they might be willing to trade there pick #5 overall and there second pick to get the guy. Same deal with Columbus(assuming they don't want to be left with Kopitar).

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
We will see, but the odds are that there will still be a pretty good player left at the fifth spot. ;-)

My guess is that Montreal will pick.......... the BPA. A guy playing C or D has more chances however. Big wingers, if not fast, will become useless if hooking and obstruction are really part of history. One of Brule or Kopitar will still be available at that spot, and Timmins/Savard will probably draft this guy.

KH1

FLYLine4LIFE said:
I agree about him being the 2nd best dman in the draft.
So do I, but it's not even consenus. They could definately move down to a team angling to draft Johnson, Brule or Pouliot and still grab Staal if they wanted him. I don't think that the 'Canes would do this anyway--Staal is IMO the second best defenseman in the draft but he is a distant second to Johnson. If he is still on the board they have to grab him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Kafka said:
My guess is that Montreal will pick.......... the BPA. A guy playing C or D has more chances however.

montreal might want the french guy though(i know he was born in ottawa but that's close enough)

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I could imagine a team like Atlanta would really covet a guy like Benoit Pouliot, and there's a great chance Staal would be around at that point. If Atlanta gave up something of decent value, Carolina could do very well in that aspect.

Also, if they did pick Marc, it's very probable that they could also have a good shot at Jordan next year. That'd make for some good PR, having not one, not two, but three Staal brothers on the same team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hercules Rockefeller said:
I could imagine a team like Atlanta would really covet a guy like Benoit Pouliot, and there's a great chance Staal would be around at that point.

The big question is will Kopitar fall or will somebody take a gamble. Stall definantly won't be picked in the first 5 picks, but columbus might look at there roster and say they need a defenseman come that pick(#6).

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
boredmale said:
Montreal might want a certain player, to ensure they get that player they might be willing to trade there pick #5 overall and there second pick to get the guy. Same deal with Columbus(assuming they don't want to be left with Kopitar).

The only guy I could see Montreal trading up to get is Jack Johnson, if he's still on the board. But if Johnson is still on the board, why would Carolina trade down to get Staal?

Squeaky

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
boredmale said:
montreal might want the french guy though(i know he was born in ottawa but that's close enough)

Montreal fans might want the French guy, but the team is not going to draft based on that. Recent top picks for the team: Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Perezhogin, Komisarek, Higgins, Hainsey, Hossa. None of whom are french.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Kafka said:
With the new CBA, teams will have to be imaginative to keep their young players when they will reach free agency at age 27. For this reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carolina pick Staal with their 3rd overall pick, even if Anaheim management doesn't use their pick to select Johnson. Having two brothers on the same team may worth more for Carolina than having an other center or an additionnal big winger. And anyway, picking the guy ranked 7th with the 3rd overall pick wouldn't be that much of a surprised, considering Carolina needs at the blue line.

Taking Staal at 3 wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, but I think you're right about the CBA affecting how teams will draft from now on. Teams are going to do whatever they can to keep players and that will include maybe passing up a better player in the draft for one they know might be a fan of their team.

turnbuckle*

I can see them trading down with Montreal and picking Staal in front of Columbus. I would not be surprised if Columbus is interested in picking Staal at sixth - they need another stud defensive prospect or two IMO before they're going anywhere.

There are teams that have Staal in their top five, so it's not a longshot by any means. Montreal would then be assured of picking the forward they really want, whether it be Kopitar, Ryan, Pouliot or Brule.

Columbus and Carolina are two of the teams in most need of defensive prospects, so I'm expecting one of the two to end up with Staal. Mind you the Habs could use him as well.

Possible deal: Montreal trades the 65th pick and #5 pick to Carolina for the third pick.

The only problem with that deal from the Hab perspective would be that they wouldn't have their third pick in the draft until the 100s, and there's no guarantee that the player the Habs covet won't be available at the fifth pick anyway. There's not a lot of consensus on the third, fourth, fifth and sixth prospects - one list has Ryan third, the next Pouliot, the next Kopitar, etc. . I'm not sure Carolina would take anything less than a third round pick to move down either, so it may be a hard deal to strike.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Kafka said:

Or they can always draft his other brother next year and use that 3rd to pick someone much better? :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Patty Ice XXX said:
Or they can always draft his other brother next year and use that 3rd to pick someone much better? :dunno:

My thoughts exactly. Staal is a nice player (and one of the top three or four defensemen in this draft), but not what I would call a top three selection. He could go top ten, although even that would surprise me a bit. I guess it depends on team need.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
turnbuckle said:
I can see them trading down with Montreal and picking Staal in front of Columbus. I would not be surprised if Columbus is interested in picking Staal at sixth - they need another stud defensive prospect or two IMO before they're going anywhere.

Its very conceivable IMO. I could definately see CLB passing on someone like Kopitar for Staal. My top 15:

1. Pittsburgh- Sid Crosby (pit will be nuts with crosby/malkin down the middle, fleury in net, and good D guys like Whitney/Orpik)
2. Anaheim- Jack Johnson (will become regarded as a Phaneuf type in an instant)
3. Carolina- Benoit Pouliot (Could really screw up things in a good way taking Staal, right now its a hard gauge as Ryan, Pouliot, Brule all seem to fit)
4. Minnesota- Gil Brule (MIN get a gritty type they love, next)
5. Montreal- Bobby Ryan (MTL gets a beast, next)
6. Columbus-Marc Staal (CLB opts for future D mainstay instead of flashy Anze)
7. Chicago- Anze Kopitar (dynomite at 7)
8. Atlanta- Ryan O'Marra (will surprise people as one of the best to come from this class in a few years, put it down)
9. Ottawa- Jack Skille (going for what they really need despite what zombie has to say)
10. Vancouver- Luc Bourdon(D pool is pretty bad aside from Koltsov/Edler)
11. Los Angeles- Carey Price (Finally gets their Goalie after taking Brown/Boyle/Tuk)
12. San Jose- Marek Zagrapan (Flashy forward to inject some life into their org prospect pool)
13. Buffalo- Ryan Parent (Their prospect D is worse than Van's with just Ezhov)
14. Washington- Alex Bourret (Basically their stable is great, adding a hard worker and gritty guy will be top priority)
15. New York Islanders- Brian Lee (Good luck Fish, your org. is in shambles prospect wise aside from Nilsson, they choose Lee to give them some future hope on D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad